new to the site, 10 gal. tank stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would advise you against the bristlenose, like someone said before they grow out of a 10 gallon. But, I've had mine for about 6 months now and he is still within the 10 gallon size range, so if you're planning on upgrading that should be fine.

I would recommend otos, they stay quite small and although I've never kept them, I hear they are fun to watch. There are also some really cool varieties out there (my favorite is the zebra oto) that you might be able to get your hands on if you look hard enough.

To be honest, I would take back your zebra danios as well. Even though they are small, they need a lot of swimming room (at least a 20 gal) and if not, they could become aggressive. I made the mistake of having 5 in my 10 gallon once too, and the biggest guy slowly drove the rest to death from badgering. They just would thrive in more space.

Is there anything in particular you're looking for? A centerpiece fish, a school, or bottom dwellers?

Cories would not be suitable in a ten gallon. Like you said they go from 4-6 inches. They are also super active so I suggest a 20 gallon minimum.

I was thinking more along the lines of panda or dwarf cories as they stay under 2 inches. I said the SAE would get 4-6 inches and they do fine by themselves so there size should be ok

also, new2guppy, you should make your own thread. It gets a lot more attention and more people can help you with that issue when they see you personal post :)

also pitbull plecos are around 2 inches fully grown and are good algae eaters and interesting little fish

agwats said:
also pitbull plecos are around 2 inches fully grown and are good algae eaters and interesting little fish

No their not. They grow to 5 inches fully grown, and need a 30 gallon minimum.

I've never heard of them growing to 5 inches. (Not saying it's wrong, just always thought they grew to around 6 cm) I agree with Homedog. I've heard of them being kept in 15 gallons, but they seem to thrive more in a 30 gallon. Maybe your thinking of otos.

i've always heard 2-3 inches max but as far as tank size 10gal is prolly a little small but i've been told they do quite well in a 20. either way i think a couple otos would be your best bet.

agwats said:
i've always heard 2-3 inches max but as far as tank size 10gal is prolly a little small but i've been told they do quite well in a 20. either way i think a couple otos would be your best bet.

Definitely. I second ottos!

Alright, I heard for the longest time that danios and platys were good for 10g, but a few days ago I heard the same thing. It would explain a lot as the danios are very aggressive and the one platy is even more so (probably explains how the little one has a chunk of his tail missing). I don't know if petco will take fish back though, especially if I've had them for a while.

But if I am able to take them back I'll probably take them all back (as I said the platy is the most aggressive and sometimes won't let the danios eat). What should I get then, keep in mind that it's petco so I might need a few options, also I keep leaning towards shrimp are they much harder to care for or do they usually just end up as food.

I'd like to have a small school of fish along with a clean up crew of some sort and maybe one small sized show fish

How about this:
6 neons
3 ottos
1 betta
However many shrimp you want.
They are easy to care for, near impossible to breed, good cleaners, small bioload, fun to watch.

I heard the same thing about tetras though that they really need a 20g tank.

Also would it be ok to have a small chichild like a ram instead of a betta or would that be Ill- advised?

Also I saw some Chinese algae eating shrimp that were quite big the last time I went, does anyone know anything about them.

Neons are the one exception to that rule. As for rams... I really wouldn't put one in anything less then a 20, preferably a 30. You could add a dwarf gourami for a centerpiece.

I agree! 10 gal for zebras is ok but not ideal. I love ottos I had four with 2 left....its been a couple months now so hopefully everyone is good! :) I love the neons I have 5 in my 30 gal and they are like a little spark of light :) never heard of the betta with that many tank mates though? Female-yes Male-not so much.Mine would keel them all! LOL He lives with 2 snails. :)

Cobaltskyy said:
I agree! 10 gal for zebras is ok but not ideal. I love ottos I had four with 2 left....its been a couple months now so hopefully everyone is good! :) I love the neons I have 5 in my 30 gal and they are like a little spark of light :) never heard of the betta with that many tank mates though? Female-yes Male-not so much.Mine would keel them all! LOL He lives with 2 snails. :)

Hmm... All my male bettas have had lots of fishy friends! They like the company!

Once I get my 20galL cleared of bacteria bloom, I have 6 fancy guppies, 2 corrys, would ottos be ok for algae and get along with my fish family. They just play and get along so well. I don't want to add anything not right!

Thank You Lauren....my oldest granddaughter's name...good name!
new2guppy

Well First of all I need to find some place for my danios. I don't hold a great compassion for fish like I have observed with some people online (not particularly on this forum) but just flushing them all seems like a waste. Does anyone know if petco takes fish?

petco should take back the danios. You prob can't get your money back, but they're really good about taking fish back. I know petsmart won't do it but at least my neighborhood petco will. They're happy to make the buck! :)

Good to hear. And Im thinking a gourami as the centerpiece fish, they sort of have that round look. How would rasboras work out for the schooling fish. It's just that i've recently heard that danios and tetras need more space and I guess as a result my danios are aggressive. And do shrimp eat plants?

Once I get my 20galL cleared of bacteria bloom, I have 6 fancy guppies, 2 corrys, would ottos be ok for algae and get along with my fish family. They just play and get along so well. I don't want to add anything not right!

Thank You Lauren....my oldest granddaughter's name...good name!
new2guppy

Ottos would be great! Very peaceful make sure you get them from reputable source...I read alot about these guys online and depending where there come from could have been roughed up alot. Get 3 or 4 they are social little guys like corries good luck!

Good to hear. And Im thinking a gourami as the centerpiece fish, they sort of have that round look. How would rasboras work out for the schooling fish. It's just that i've recently heard that danios and tetras need more space and I guess as a result my danios are aggressive. And do shrimp eat plants?

Harlequin rasboras are awesome I have 6 in my 10 gal hex and they are beautiful...like an iridescent copper color with that black triangle :) beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom