Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #111
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
That looks great! Did you end up painting it? Pics are kind of far away to tell, but I'm guessing you did with that awesome matte finish it appears to have.

Yes Sir, I took your advise and took the black paint to it. I masked it off, and had to cover everything in the house. It looks like it came from the factory that way. Looks good, thanks Rookie and Jim for the advise. I'm picking up the sand tomorrow. And the LFS is going to give me a couple of gallons of bacteria from there tanks to get the cycle started.

As far as rock's go I cant get around yet as my ankle is still broken.
I'm going to have to rely on a store for my rock's. BUMMER
I would rather go out into nature and get them.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #112
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdultra View Post
And the LFS is going to give me a couple of gallons of bacteria from there tanks to get the cycle started.
Sorry, not quite following here. What exactly are they giving you?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
Sorry, not quite following here. What exactly are they giving you?
I'm getting there filter water from there tanks. To seed mine.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #114
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You'll just be putting dirty water in your nice new tank. If you can get some filter media, that's different. There are minimal amounts of nitrifying bacteria in the water column, its only on the surfaces inside the tank and filter media.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'm getting there filter water from there tanks. To seed mine.
Don't put that dirty water in your tank, fresh and clean water is much better.
There isn't much bacteria in the water column, anyway. The majority of it lies in used filter media, so try and see if you can get that instead. Just explain this reasoning to your LFS and hopefully they'll have something that they can give you.

Background is looking nice... Excited to see this come together! Keep us updated

~20 Gallon Community, ~5 Gallon Betta
mandy2936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy2936 View Post
Don't put that dirty water in your tank, fresh and clean water is much better.
There isn't much bacteria in the water column, anyway. The majority of it lies in used filter media, so try and see if you can get that instead. Just explain this reasoning to your LFS and hopefully they'll have something that they can give you.

Background is looking nice... Excited to see this come together! Keep us updated
I should have said also the filter media as well. Sorry.
If not my 55 Gallon is available with plenty of media.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I should have said also the filter media as well. Sorry.
If not my 55 Gallon is available with plenty of media.
Oh, well that's good. And yeah I don't recommend actually putting
in the water, it won't help much. I'm guessing you have the water to keep the media wet?

~20 Gallon Community, ~5 Gallon Betta
mandy2936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #118
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy2936 View Post
Oh, well that's good. And yeah I don't recommend actually putting
in the water, it won't help much. I'm guessing you have the water to keep the media wet?
So you guys don't think some dirty water will not help with ammonia. To get the cycle a head start.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #119
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdultra

So you guys don't think some dirty water will not help with ammonia. To get the cycle a head start.
I'll just buy some ammonia from ace hardware or wherever you can find one. Just make sure that if you shake it, that no bubbles will form. You don't want to risk getting diseases and parasites from the dirty LFS water. Good luck Michael!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydooms View Post
I'll just buy some ammonia from ace hardware or wherever you can find one. Just make sure that if you shake it, that no bubbles will form. You don't want to risk getting diseases and parasites from the dirty LFS water. Good luck Michael!
Well if that is the case I will use the filter media from my 55 gallon tank.
I have the 2 Marineland 280 in there with 2 filters in each. And also I have my Fuval 405 also. I'm hoping to cycle the tank in a short period of time.

Tags
20 gallon, 220, 220 gallon, build, cichlid, filtration, gallon, ich, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com