220 Gallon Cichlid Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I took some pictures after I washed all the rocks I got.
I need to go out and find some more . But at least it's a start.

Let me know what you think. I think it will look better in the tank.
I hung a bunch of fake plants off it. Just to see what it might look like.

It's a first for me. I love the look of your rocks.
I've never liked the look of rock cichlid tanks. They look drab to me, but I really like how you've set yours up.
This is a tank that you will really be proud of.
I'M GREEN WITH TANK ENVY :mrgreen:. YOU HAVE A GREAT EYE FOR DESIGN
Please keep those pictures coming. I am really enjoying living vicariously through your tank build. The enormity of a 220g tank design from scratch, is cool:BIG:

Looks like you're off to a really good start. The tank looks great. I'm curious to see the undergravel LEDs.

I've forgotten what you're going to stock. I'm assuming you're going with SA cichlids and not the africans. EcoComplete would be a waste of money with africans. (I hate to think about what EcoComplete for a 220g costs.) They'll just eat the plants anyways.

I'll post the Under gravel LED after while. I'm going to use them to highlight the rocks. I got the moon lights which are blue and the gravel light will be green.
I think the effect will be real cool.

Can some tell me what the purpose is for a wave maker.
And would it give me a good shimmer with the lighting.

Or how do I create the shimmer effect ?

Thank's

A wave maker makes wave-like currents in the tank. They're really intended for reef tanks where corals depend on the current to bring them food.

You need a point light source to create the shimmer effect. I've got a lot of shimmer in my 20H with the LEDs. I think you could replicate the effect with fewer LEDs if they're not your main source of light.

A wave maker makes wave-like currents in the tank. They're really intended for reef tanks where corals depend on the current to bring them food.

You need a point light source to create the shimmer effect. I've got a lot of shimmer in my 20H with the LEDs. I think you could replicate the effect with fewer LEDs if they're not your main source of light.

Will corals grow towards the food the same way plants grow towards light? So without a wavemaker you might end up with plants just on one side of the reef?

Plants don't depend on the water movement to bring them light and nutrients dissolve in the water, unlike the food coral depends on, so a wave maker should have no real effect on the growth of plants in one area versus another. It would probably off-gas CO2, but that would affect the entire tank, not one region.

Ok I got the light idea, In order to have it shimmer I would have to have movement on the surface. Is this correct also.

It doesn't take much surface movement. I actually filled my 20H so the water was touching the glass canopy and I still had shimmer. There is more shimmer when there is a lot of surface agitation, but I find it a bit distracting.

It doesn't take much surface movement. I actually filled my 20H so the water was touching the glass canopy and I still had shimmer. There is more shimmer when there is a lot of surface agitation, but I find it a bit distracting.

I like that slow shimmer. Just to make it soothing to watch.

When I went snorkeling in Hawaii, I was swimming over the reefs and the water was shimmering over the corals. It was just amazing see that.

A slow shimmer is nice. If I drop my water level much, my AC30 makes enough surface agitation that I have a hard time focusing on the fish in the tank. I suppose it doesn't help that the fish are guppies with tails that shimmer between red and blue.

I'd love to go to Hawaii. My wife and I talked about it for our honeymoon, but my bank account couldn't handle it.

I like the shimmer and its really more natural to have a little shimmer action.

Im way late but what filters and what heaters did you go with?
I am assuming this tank was not a drilled tank?

I like the shimmer and its really more natural to have a little shimmer action.

Im way late but what filters and what heaters did you go with?
I am assuming this tank was not a drilled tank?

I have 2 Fluval FX5's.
And the heater is JBJ True Temp 800Watt Digital Controller.

No this tank is not drilled.

same heaters we got, we run 4 300w jbj true temps on the 210 and the 800w model on our 100g holding tank.

same heaters we got, we run 4 300w jbj true temps on the 210 and the 800w model on our 100g holding tank.

The only problem I have with it is the magnets are not strong enough. The heater wants to slide down the glass. I'm thinking of using silicone to secure them to the wall of the tank. The glass is a 1/2 thick.

How are they performing for you.

JBJ-USA Aquarium Products

Ours are in the bottom of the wet/dry filter so they are doing great, got em on a digital aquatics SL1 controller and it works flawlessly.

I know the magnet holders are per glass thickness, I got some that are for the 1/2" thick glass but never used em. I just picked a 50g tank up, its got 1/2" glass on it too(stuck me as weird a bit and only has 1 1" hole in the bottom and trim that wraps 2" of the glass.

Hey Guy's,

I pick up some egg crate for the bottom of the tank. Then I took some rocks that I found in some river beds here in Missouri. Lots of them have natural crystals formations on them. Really awesome looking.

I laid out the decor on the egg crate, on the kitchen table.
I than put the under gravel LED's in place. I'm concerned that the highest piece is about 13" Tall. The tank is 28" tall. There is allot of space above every thing. I think I may need to find some taller fixtures. Or do you think i should build the rock structures higher?

What do you think.

I'm also trying to find something to rap around the water intake tubes, like some kind of fake plant.

Tuesday I will have the black sand. And then I can start placing thing into the tank. And getting it ready for water.

It looks much better in person.

Attachments

• DSC00545.jpg
    DSC00545.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC00548.jpg
    DSC00548.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC00557.jpg
    DSC00557.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC00551.jpg
    DSC00551.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 90
Here's my opinion. Do with it as you please.

The fake plants, you'll most likely get tired of them. I thought they looked cool when I first set my tank up, but I realized that not only were they a pain to clean around when I did my monthly tear down (and you'll have to do the same), but they also looked too fake after a while. Diatoms claimed them, along with the fact that the fish tore them apart.

You think the eggcrate sounds like a good idea now. Wait until you start gravel vacing. They'll annoy you, trap waste, and ultimately keep the fish from digging around as much. Mine are constantly against the glass, and they are happy with it that way..

I think you're doing an amazing job though. Keep up the hard work. It'll all pay off in the end.

I think it looks very nice... But just one question, what are the egg crates for? I'm sorry if Ive missed that somewhere in this thread, but yeah just curious as to their purpose. As for my opinion on the fake plants, you'll only be able to tell if they look toofake once they're in the tank with water.

Also, as for taller decor, that would be a very good idea. It will look much nicer with some tall additions for the back/sides.

Egg crate distributes the weight load of the rock. As you can see it lays on the bottom of the tank. I already have it cut to fit. Also is protection for falling rock, as it will take the first hit when a rock may fall. I'll have to look for maybe some tall driftwood or something.

Back
Top Bottom