Central sump filtration system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice. Besides big return pump advice you've gotten, possible issue would be how you'll handle the overflow prefilter. I use window screen now and its much too big to breed shrimp in the main tank, and puffers are also small. So best to use sponge or such on those prefilters, which you'll need to clean regularly (baby shrimp are about the size of the particles you want in the sump). May be best to split the line going to the 5.5gs (like theyre in parallel) from the main drain of the 90g, limit flow with a ball valve to those tanks, then join their drains to the main drain line.

Since you're thinking of up to 4 tanks on that sump, suggest you add a fifth and plumb it in a way so it can be disconnected from the system and used as an instant QT. Maybe even add a sponge filter so its ready to go when needed.

With all that piping and several tanks, you'll probably need many gallons of saftey room in the sump should you lose power to the return pump(s). With that in mind, a ~100g trashcan in the basement as a sump might serve you better than the time to DIY a 100g or more sump thats only 2/3 or less filled.

Best to plan your 10g planted tank as lower light too, since it'd be a PITA to dose macros with that volume. Easy enough to experiment with more lighting later if wanted.

Just thoughts. HTH

czcz said:
Nice. Besides big return pump advice you've gotten, possible issue would be how you'll handle the overflow prefilter. I use window screen now and its much too big to breed shrimp in the main tank, and puffers are also small. So best to use sponge or such on those prefilters, which you'll need to clean regularly (baby shrimp are about the size of the particles you want in the sump). May be best to split the line going to the 5.5gs (like theyre in parallel) from the main drain of the 90g, limit flow with a ball valve to those tanks, then join their drains to the main drain line.

Since you're thinking of up to 4 tanks on that sump, suggest you add a fifth and plumb it in a way so it can be disconnected from the system and used as an instant QT. Maybe even add a sponge filter so its ready to go when needed.

With all that piping and several tanks, you'll probably need many gallons of saftey room in the sump should you lose power to the return pump(s). With that in mind, a ~100g trashcan in the basement as a sump might serve you better than the time to DIY a 100g or more sump thats only 2/3 or less filled.

Best to plan your 10g planted tank as lower light too, since it'd be a PITA to dose macros with that volume. Easy enough to experiment with more lighting later if wanted.

Just thoughts. HTH

hey thanks a bunch rock on

Go for it. I have seen such set-ups described in fish magazines in the past. Very cool.

Well, my next steps are,

One I have two large pumps, I will look them up and find out the head pressure. I will then be going to a farm and fleet store to look at tubs.

I have this idea, from what I have found out the canisters will not have enough head pressure. So I am going to hook the canisters right up to the sumps. This will keep the tanks uncluttered. This will also give me an established filter that I can separate from the main system for emergencies and or isolations. Now I will do the same on the salt but I have this idea. I will use my old 20g as a refugium, I will use the current canister to pump water up a few (2-3 feet) to the refugium and from there it will overflow back in to the sump.

So my list is this.

Pump info
Determine tubs.
Determine most efficient location
Run one large drain, and supply line in the wall to each location, ( will have same type if quick disconnect)

Buy new 5.5g for the puffer (pre drilled)
Buy two HOB over flows for the 90g FW MAIN and two for the 30g SW MAIN ( I have been told to use two for safety.
Buy some sort of flexible line to put the water back in the tanks that are not drilled (any help on this)
Buy bulkheads for the drilled tanks ( where can I find these)
Need I nice used skimmer
Need a light for the refugium ( what do I use for this)

So if anyone knows of a good place to get fittings, bulkheads and that flexible pipe that you can screw into the supply line to put water back in that tank that would rock. Also what about lighting for the refugium and a good skimmer for the sump, would like used one…

So what do you think any comments or suggestions.

Hooking up the canisters to the sump is a fine idea as long as you can get decent GPH through the main with your sub pumps. Cannister as pump with 2-3ft head is how jsoong does his return, so you may want to search archives for his posts.
So if anyone knows of a good place to get fittings, bulkheads and that flexible pipe that you can screw into the supply line to put water back in that tank that would rock.
I got all this stuff at HD and ACE. No need to buy predrilled 5.5g btw (didnt know they made those), since you can do it yourself with Dremmel 7134 bit (pics and instructions of how I drilled my 8g in howto link in my sig if wanted).
So what do you all think, Should I make a project site for this, Photos, plans, and uptodate info?
Yes :) I think its cool when we give back to this community, especially with information, and pics/eye candy is always fun. I've gotten many hits to my howto from this site and King Vinnie's, which is kind of rewarding and cool. (King Vinnie's has a useful archive of DIY plans that should help you, in case you haven't been to the site already.)

Just a thought: might want to limit your questions/ideas here to the FW side of the project, or maybe just start thread in DIY forum to tap the brains of those guys for the tech side :) Are you going to work on both SW and FW projects concurrently?

czcz said:
Are you going to work on both SW and FW projects concurrently?

I think so , the way i see it the main tank will stay like they are until the sumps and the plumbing is all run , and running. I will then slowly start to cycle the sumps with plants (for the FW) and LS and LR ( for the salt) once that have ben up fro a while i will hooks the sumps up to the main tanks at a 10 percent increment every 2-4 days till the sumps are running at 100 percent.

Thanks for the input I am going to create a new thread in the DIY section tomorrow. At the same time for my own and everyone, I will Setup a site or something,, with picture part list and number and CAD drawings.

Well time for bed...

thanks

Back
Top Bottom