Noisy heater! advice? :[

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeerNinja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

I bought a Whisper 5 - 15 gal heater for my 10 gal tank.

Followed the directions perfectly when I installed it. I mounted it on the back side with the suction cups. The water is nicely above the minimum water line. A day after everything is running, whenever the heater comes on ( it has a orange LED light thing ) it makes a faint chirping noise.

I can hear it from 10 feet away at my computer. It's not over-bearing and kinda faint but its there! So do all these heaters make a little noise? Do you think my fish are irritated? They don't seem to be, but I'm not sure because I'm not too good at reading fishy moods yet.

I am suspicious of a noisy heater. I have never heard any kind of sound from a heater of mine, and I have had quite a few, though not this small (25 watts, perhaps?)

I do know that many have had trouble with heaters this small, and if it was my choice, I would take it back and exchange it. Electrical devices submerged should be as safe and reliable as possible, and the noisiness gives me pause. Maybe some others who have had a small heater like this can chime in, as well.

I have a 25watt heater for my 5.5 gallon betta tank. It's cheap and crappy and the light flickers, and when it does you can hear the electricity humming sporatically through it...but a chirping sound? that doesn't sound good. I'd go get it exchanged.

Back
Top Bottom