29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 10 gallon is still really cloudy. Parameters are all fine. 0, 0, 5. pH was low for them, 6.6, but not crazy.

Fast Sparkles is not okay with my hands in the tank. On the one hand, I don't blame her. On the other, I need to reach the seaweed clip and prefilter sponge. And the occasional plant dug up by the rabbits. She outright attacks me. She's totally friendly and watches and begs for food when I'm outside of the tank, but the story changes when I break the surface.

One of the male guppies is clamping his tail fin, and it's a bit ragged on the edge. He's the only one showing any of this, but I'm nervous. I'm not sure what treatment he needs, but I should probably isolate him.

Is this a repeat of a past problem in the tank that i may not be aware of? Are you sure it's an ailment rather than possible fin nipping?

Trying to think of some reason why the water would be cloudy. Sometimes (I'm sure it's happened to me in the past) the water companies decide to fudge around with the water. It may pass. Bacterial bloom possibly?

Is this a repeat of a past problem in the tank that i may not be aware of? Are you sure it's an ailment rather than possible fin nipping?

Trying to think of some reason why the water would be cloudy. Sometimes (I'm sure it's happened to me in the past) the water companies decide to fudge around with the water. It may pass. Bacterial bloom possibly?
The cloudiness hit hard and fast seemingly out of nowhere.

I had cleaned the prefilter sponges in tap water shortly before, and so I'm worried that I messed something up with that. I had added an appropriate amount of Prime before putting them back, and the big tank showed no ill effects.

The water straight out of the tap has looked different, but we just got a new aerator last week, so I figured that caused the change.

This morning the nerites were all out of the water, which I figured was because of the pH. I added a teaspoon of baking soda, but I haven't measured pH again.

I have no idea what might be going on with the guppy. He was never really able to keep up with the others, but I had never seen aggression toward him. Maybe I'm missing it.

No one else in that tank is having issues, aside from the potentially-spawning female ram being super aggressive toward me.

If the guppy issue is bullying, what are my options? I have the five males in that tank. He can't go with the females, two of whom are his dam and sister.

2fJpLDV

So cloudy. [emoji80]

The cloudiness hit hard and fast seemingly out of nowhere.

I had cleaned the prefilter sponges in tap water shortly before, and so I'm worried that I messed something up with that. I had added an appropriate amount of Prime before putting them back, and the big tank showed no ill effects.

The water straight out of the tap has looked different, but we just got a new aerator last week, so I figured that caused the change.

This morning the nerites were all out of the water, which I figured was because of the pH. I added a teaspoon of baking soda, but I haven't measured pH again.

I have no idea what might be going on with the guppy. He was never really able to keep up with the others, but I had never seen aggression toward him. Maybe I'm missing it.

No one else in that tank is having issues, aside from the potentially-spawning female ram being super aggressive toward me.

If the guppy issue is bullying, what are my options? I have the five males in that tank. He can't go with the females, two of whom are his dam and sister.

Could well be the water company. Or perhaps the tap water destroyed some bacteria but I'd have expected the cloudiness to have subsided by now. Having said that some things are hard to explain in this hobby including the fact that there was no ill effect with big tank. It still just may have affected the smaller tank sponge for whatever reason.

If it's a damaged BB colony they will bounce back and the plants should help with removing some nitrogen along with the prime detoxing it.

Not sure about the snails as I haven't really had much experience. I've had nerites before and they did stay out of the water a lot more so in my 19l Walstad attempt but I can hardly say the water was in great shape.

Did you consider the crushed coral in the filter. The may help keep the snails happier.

Sounds like a healthy ram to me. As for the guppies I've never kept them. In fact, my advice as far as fish go is pretty limited. I'm more of a water chemistry/plant person so out of suggestion on that one. Could you divide the tank that has his sisters in?

We had talked about crushed coral for the big tank, because the 10 gallon usually is fine with hardness and pH. I add epsom salt with water changes and crushed eggshells every so often.

The prefilter sponge had gotten so clogged that flow through the filter was down to a trickle. The prefilter sponge is not where the BB is supposed to be!

Good water chemistry is the key to a healthy tank, and so I very much appreciate your input.

I suppose I could divide the guppy tank. It's not ideal. I'll watch the guppies closely this evening and see if I just hadn't noticed aggression.

We had talked about crushed coral for the big tank, because the 10 gallon usually is fine with hardness and pH. I add epsom salt with water changes and crushed eggshells every so often.

The prefilter sponge had gotten so clogged that flow through the filter was down to a trickle. The prefilter sponge is not where the BB is supposed to be!

Good water chemistry is the key to a healthy tank, and so I very much appreciate your input.

I suppose I could divide the guppy tank. It's not ideal. I'll watch the guppies closely this evening and see if I just hadn't noticed aggression.

Sorry I agree I missed the pre filter bit.

I used the coral a lot. I don't bother now since ph drop due to co2 doesn't harm fish. It will play a good role as a bio media too as it is very porous.

I guess. All of these things are symptoms that could mean a variety of issues.

Edit: I took about half of a gallon of water from the 29 gallon and put him and it in a clean 1 gallon bowl just while I sort things out. That weird smooshed look is because his spine got the S curve.

Usually when the fish has a bent spine it is from disease or vitamin deficiency...
My guess with the quick onset is disease. MANY disease can have this symptom so don't let others panic you with their guesses ...
Unfortunately regardless of issue most fish do not come back when they have progressed this far....
You are doing the right thing to separate him.
Guppies really need want hard alkaline water so you really should get the crushed coral going or learn how to effectively remineralize your water....

Yeah, looking at my little preferences spreadsheet, the guppies really are the outlier for hardness in that tank. Dividing the 10 gallon is probably going to be the best option.

I don't want to limit the mystery snails' movement with a divider. They are quite large and active. Do you think they would climb over?

I'm researching remineralization. It looks like a lot of the chemicals needed are things I use for ceramics... Bentonite, calcium carbonate, epsom salt, custer feldspar, minspar, bone ash, soda ash.... Problem being all but the epsom salt are industrial grade.

Moving the tanks from the window to under an incandescent light changed their ability to make vitamin D. My birthday is on Thursday and I have reason to believe I will be receiving a light. In the mean time I'll share my SAD light. It's way too bright for any extended period of time, but 20 minutes per day should help a little.

IMO you would only use the Ca and Mg since you are using tap and not ro...
I use driveway ice melter and Epsom salt....:eek: Even in my reefs!
Now you only need a TDS meter to make it easy and accurate every time.
For me I just "throw a tablespoon of Ca and 1/2 Mg" into my 30g barrel and call it good if it reads between 85-100 tds...This is how I breed the rams [don't tell]..:whistle:

Barr's gh booster should do the trick. I'd still use a bit of crushed coral though to increase the carbonate hardness.

I'm finding mollies are doing better in a slightly higher gh water. That's just coming from the ferts, not a big change.

Now you only need a TDS meter to make it easy and accurate every time.

Ah, my poor spouse.

Barr's gh booster should do the trick. I'd still use a bit of crushed coral though to increase the carbonate hardness.

So Barr's gH Booster is epsom salt, plaster of paris, and potassium sulfate. The last is one that's tricky to get ahold of. I have other sources of potassium, but you can't just go substituting sulfates with oxides without more working knowledge than I have.

···

I euthanized the scoliosis guppy. Not fun.

I asked my daughter if she wanted to say goodbye, and she asked if we could buy a new one. We have two pregnant guppies, child.

My husband is very unhappy about the prospect of dividing the 10 gallon. He thinks they won't have enough room.

I'm finding mollies are doing better in a slightly higher gh water. That's just coming from the ferts, not a big change.
I could see how things work if I harden up the water just a smidge.

2fKHM4L

Proud mama

Potassium Sulfate | K2SO4 | Green Leaf Aquariums
easy to get and cheap.
Sorry for your hubby!
Maybe just one more tank for them gupps??

Ah. Thanks so much for the link.

So, sweetie, we can get a divider for between $10 and $20 (or make one, but I don't know that supplies would be any less expensive) OR we could get a tank, stand, heater, filter, and substrate. Do you think you can handle if three female guppies and four males split a 10 gallon?

Anyway, if we do another tank, I want to get a puffer.

He actually said that the males don't need to move.

Back
Top Bottom