29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think, because it's so hard to see their pectoral fins in pictures- it's especially difficult to convey how they use them! - you really can't tell how amazing they are until you see them for yourself.

This whole process has been like that. All kinds of wonderful stuff.

I'm considering moving the Harlequins in with the rams. (20 long)

My daughter and I were talking about temperature and hardness preferences, and it just got me thinking about how Harlequins like water much closer to that of the rams than the guppies.

Plus the guppies keep breaking up their school. Any reason not to?

Last edited:
I think they would be a good fish to try with rams. They should be ok .They go in many keepers planted tanks with rams I believe?
Them schooling may out wit the rams ,and like wise the rams will help to keep them grouped I would think?

I'm considering moving the Harlequins in with the rams. (20 long)

My daughter and I were talking about temperature and hardness preferences, and it just got me thinking about how Harlequins like water much closer to that of the rams than the guppies.

Plus the guppies keep breaking up their school. Any reason not to?

I think that would be a lovely combination. (y)

I'm getting a lot brown algae (I guess) in the filter intake siphons. I've been taking the tubes off every few days and clearing them out with a toothbrush because they get so clogged that it seriously obstructs flow. This algae isn't anywhere else in the tank. What the heck?

I'm using Flourish Excel... 15ml per day.

The intake siphons have the stainless mesh cages on them, and you know how you can get stuff out most easily the direction came in? I can tell that the algae is starting on the inside and not being pulled in.

I've been putting the light on this tank for a couple of hours a day- like four- always on one of the cloudy settings. If the light were causing the issue, wouldn't the algae be elsewhere?

What's up?

I'm getting a lot brown algae (I guess) in the filter intake siphons. I've been taking the tubes off every few days and clearing them out with a toothbrush because they get so clogged that it seriously obstructs flow. This algae isn't anywhere else in the tank. What the heck?

I'm using Flourish Excel... 15ml per day.

The intake siphons have the stainless mesh cages on them, and you know how you can get stuff out most easily the direction came in? I can tell that the algae is starting on the inside and not being pulled in.

I've been putting the light on this tank for a couple of hours a day- like four- always on one of the cloudy settings. If the light were causing the issue, wouldn't the algae be elsewhere?

What's up?

Is it algae or is it more like a slimy buildup? If you think it's algae you can put some dark material around the tubes to block the light. No light no algae. If it's like a brown/orange slime I think that's normal sludge build up which may just grow faster in your specific environment.

Last edited:
I'm rolling with diatoms not only from silicates.
I get the same film in some of my breeder tanks glass and in my Aquaclear tubes..Yes IN them..
I have a tube brush that is two scrubbys with flexible middle that you pull through.
th

Some thoughts on diatoms being part of a very beneficial bacteria when in the right places..:confused:
I think they are in the tube due to higher flow and exposure to nutrients...
Although they look like hell, they really are not a problem if not on plant leaves...

Is it algae or is it more like a slimy buildup? If you think it's algae you can put some dark material around the tubes to block the light. No light no algae. If it's like a brown/orange slime I think that's normal sludge build up which may just grow faster in your specific environment.
It's definitely more a slime or sludge. Blech.
I'm rolling with diatoms not only from silicates.
I get the same film in some of my breeder tanks glass and in my Aquaclear tubes..Yes IN them..
I have a tube brush that is two scrubbys with flexible middle that you pull through.
th

Some thoughts on diatoms being part of a very beneficial bacteria when in the right places..:confused:
I think they are in the tube due to higher flow and exposure to nutrients...
Although they look like hell, they really are not a problem if not on plant leaves...
Would diatoms utilize silicate from the sand? I'd actually been using a chenille stem in the U part of the tubes, but that clogs up much more slowly.

They are really only a pain in the butt on the Aqueon filter, because the screen doesn't fit the siphon exactly, so I have to really take it apart instead of just sliding it off. And when it gets in the little motor part, but that's not too terrible. Just annoying.

Glad to hear it's not hurting things where it is.

It's definitely more a slime or sludge. Blech.

Would diatoms utilize silicate from the sand? I'd actually been using a chenille stem in the U part of the tubes, but that clogs up much more slowly.

They are really only a pain in the butt on the Aqueon filter, because the screen doesn't fit the siphon exactly, so I have to really take it apart instead of just sliding it off. And when it gets in the little motor part, but that's not too terrible. Just annoying.

Glad to hear it's not hurting things where it is.

It sounds more like the general build up of bio slime to me. I get it in my canister tubes and they are pretty dark. I don't think it's harmful. Only indirectly by restricting flow through the filter.

With respect to coralbandit, I am a little dubious about diatoms being caused by silica having come across threads like this

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/high-amount-of-silicate-in-tap-water.18067/

And this

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/23-algae/298554-what-causes-diatoms-2.html

I'm not saying they don't but when I read things like this I have to take a minute and think.

It sounds more like the general build up of bio slime to me. I get it in my canister tubes and they are pretty dark. I don't think it's harmful. Only indirectly by restricting flow through the filter.

With respect to coralbandit, I am a little dubious about diatoms being caused by silica having come across threads like this

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/high-amount-of-silicate-in-tap-water.18067/

And this

What causes diatoms - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

I'm not saying they don't but when I read things like this I have to take a minute and think.

My first sentence say diatoms NOT from sand???
If not PS and a beneficial bacteria OR from sand I wonder where you think it comes from?
Possibly you missed the NOT part? :whistle:
Or something else,pretty limited learning base here on this forum.Bunch kids who all know best and mis read things to say what they want....:facepalm:
It is much more fun to debate things when people honestly dis agree on them, instead of just being mis informed IMO..:confused:

My first sentence say diatoms NOT from sand???
If not PS and a beneficial bacteria OR from sand I wonder where you think it comes from?
Possibly you missed the NOT part? :whistle:
Or something else,pretty limited learning base here on this forum.Bunch kids who all know best and mis read things to say what they want....:facepalm:
It is much more fun to debate things when people honestly dis agree on them, instead of just being mis informed IMO..:confused:

Your first sentence says 'I'm rolling with diatoms not only from silicates' it doesn't even have the word sand in the sentence or even the post.

I'm not entirely sure what this means to be honest.

But EVERYONE believes diatoms are caused by silicates so those two very words 'diatoms and silicates' (however it was meant to be interpreted) automatically leads the OP on to a path questioning silicates from sand because of the whole sand quartz dilemma. I don't know where they come from. That is my point. I just like to question what we think we might know as being gospel in the hobby.

If I misunderstood your post coralbandit there is a decent way to say so. That way we can clear things up in an adult manner. You claim that the 'kids' are at fault yet persist at writing your retorts like the very children you seem to think you are above.

Last edited:
Deep breaths!

@CoralBandit, I was unclear about your sentence. The wording was a little confusing. My substrate is CaribSea Super Naturals Moon Sand- silica sand.

Am I a kid who thinks she knows best? That felt like an attack.

I'm pretty new to the hobby, but I do a lot of research. I also have a decent grasp of chemistry.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm pretty new to the hobby, but I do a lot of research. I also have a decent grasp of chemistry.

This is exactly the reason I posted these links. I can tell a mile off those that want to learn and question. The links were for your benefit.

I think I am the kid who thinks he knows best. I think many hold that view on here by now [emoji23]

So as I was sitting in front of the tank, gazing and enjoying the critters, I noticed a lot of detritus on the sand.

I have 30ish 3 week-old guppy fry. Why the heck am I surprised about gunk in the filter.

I have to up my water change game.

So as I was sitting in front of the tank, gazing and enjoying the critters, I noticed a lot of detritus on the sand.

I have 30ish 3 week-old guppy fry. Why the heck am I surprised about gunk in the filter.

I have to up my water change game.

Have you thought about adding more plants. They may help with excess ammonia and other nutrients that could be contributing to the growth.

Have you thought about adding more plants. They may help with excess ammonia and other nutrients that could be contributing to the growth.
The real issue with plants in this tank is itshtt height. I need to get something really tall.

Aside from some very nice plants I've bought on this forum, I get my plants by picking out the dying plants-in-tubes at Petco. In most ways, that's very good. Unfortunately, it always means I have to remove dead stuff. No matter how tall they start off, they end up short.

Plus then I just removed the tree sculpture that came with java fern on it because it had gotten squishy. That one I actually paid for. (grumble) I put the leaves into a little terra cotta pot. I think it's cute...

Still, horizontal real estate is limited.

1484175202914.jpg

Back
Top Bottom