coralbandits fish room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Went to NJ again on last Wednesday . I picked up 4 more of the darkest black rams ,4 GBR and 6 'Dantum ' angels.
The angels are in the 55 and doing great. 1 out the 4 darkest rams died but the other 3 look good. I am keeping them separate to see if there is a pair among them or not.
All fish rams and angels are from Danzinger discus farm in Israel. I am keeping the 4 GBR , I mean 5 as the owner of Discus Madness gave me a free female separated and hope they will breed and then I will cross their fry with mine to have new good blood in my lines.
With all these fish some concession has had to be made. I am reducing my swordtail stock by over 50% .I will only be keeping my Ed Parker Jet Blacks ,my white albinos and my one tank of experimental breeding where after almost 1 year I have 2 male jet blacks with just a hint of red on their fins only. The smaller male has some color on his nose also so he may be no good? I am keeping black, red ,red longfin females with those 2 males. The white albino fry have been moved to their own 20g and there are about 60 ! I am very greatful to have got these two births so I can continue with them.. My only source for new in Hawaii still has not been able to pry them from owner ! I hope to get these going in force with a little more effort and attention.
Getting rid of the other swords and platy frees up 7 @20 that as soon as heaters get here[Sat] will be filled with juvenile rams !
Here's a pic of the Dantum angels.
FZT1bc0h.jpg

j2bPLlEh.jpg

Hard to see but the hatch from the Apisto bitaenaita is wiggling and soon to be free swimmers
8ruQbrQh.jpg

Got new hongsloi eggs yesterday
hmqcwKqh.jpg

The hatch before ^these^ looks good with over 20 and will be moved to small tank soon.
EBA in the 180 laid eggs again yesterday on the wood.
Byq9xeSh.jpg

Fish room has 'new order'[well?] and a couple new fish. Picked a male and 3 female albino Congo tetras to keep the Dantums company .During wc yesterday one of the I will assume male Dantums shook his head and made charging type movements so ferocious I almost jumped back myself ! I think I will be finding a pair among them sooner then I expected ..I look forward to seeing these fish breed and learning the challenges of some albino fish if they have any..
The White Albino swordtails are just fry eaters [like the red picta] with no fertility issues and appear if I net the females I will have an ample supply of them to sell. The oldest group should be showing some sex markers soon...Kind of feel like a kid /beginner using breeding nets but they work !
The Black rams and all other fry are doing great !
I am setting up the top rack of the 5g tanks for pairs and soon the Blacks ,GBR and EBR will all be side by side on the top level where I can watch them easier..2 pairs of Black ,1 pair Black and Danzinger GBR cross , 1 pair my GBR ,1 pair of my EBR.The blacks and black GBR cross in bottom 5gs already both have fry in tank with them with the Black GBR cross having an extra set of fresh wigglers on tray today..Moving parents should increase the survival of the fry.
The hybrid cross rams are becoming very popular and my breeding experience with the pairs I have formed is going well. I hope to be able to keep this color strain going either through continued line breeding or just matching up new cross pairs.
Fish room only has Jet black ,white albino and alpha swordtails,and red picta for livebearers .Think the apisto irinidae can go anytime now as they have not spawned and put little effort into them.
Almost breathed life into my paludarium but tank has small leak and the reef is running better then ever...

Quick update ;
Dantums have bred X1 and there are live fry ATM !(y)
Blacks ,GBR and hybrid rams are breeding like crazy still.
With less time to devote to tanks the survival rate is lower then when I am full time in fish room but still worth it.
Added new fish to the fish room.. Super red BNP. I added 8 young[unsexable] and one young but sexable male . All are growing out in a 20g with plenty of pellet food and zucchini. Hopes of breeding these guys is there but I have no BNP experience .I am sure it will be a while so I will read up and do the best I can with them.
The Red picta have become beautiful and pairs are now available..Since getting them at least 6-9 months ago I have tracked their availability...Not one other keeper besides the breeder I got them from [in Hawaii ] has them at all...:whistle: I love being one of the few...:brows: These are a pretty cool little "guppy' type fish ...I need to get pics of these guys up also...:whistle:

Nice! My Bristlenose love zucchini, cucumber, and yellow squash. Give him a cave, feed them well, they do like some protein also and they will spawn.

I had mine at about 75 degrees and 200 tds in Tulsa. They breed more fall to spring for me

I brought them down to 180 ppm TDS just on instinct...They are more carnivorous then many other BNP from my reading...At just between 1-2 inches these guys cruise the bottom searching for my pellets when not hooked on wood or zucchini.
I have 2 @ 4 plus year old females in my 180 so look forward to these guys growing out and breeding..They are a good looking pleco ...I have plans [some day] for a troop of real Zebra plecos but need to learn from these guys first before I drop $500 on a group of 7...:eek::popcorn:

I’m the same way. Plecos are interesting. Down the line for me but a few plecos would be sweet

Quick update ;
Dantums have bred X1 and there are live fry ATM !(y)
Blacks ,GBR and hybrid rams are breeding like crazy still.
With less time to devote to tanks the survival rate is lower then when I am full time in fish room but still worth it.
Added new fish to the fish room.. Super red BNP. I added 8 young[unsexable] and one young but sexable male . All are growing out in a 20g with plenty of pellet food and zucchini. Hopes of breeding these guys is there but I have no BNP experience .I am sure it will be a while so I will read up and do the best I can with them.
The Red picta have become beautiful and pairs are now available..Since getting them at least 6-9 months ago I have tracked their availability...Not one other keeper besides the breeder I got them from [in Hawaii ] has them at all...:whistle: I love being one of the few...:brows: These are a pretty cool little "guppy' type fish ...I need to get pics of these guys up also...:whistle:
My Breeding experience with BNP is just add water and a cave . My chocolate LF breed spawn about once a month. My super reds had one big spawn so far but it has been over a month and no second one(yet). The LF Albinos spawned once but ate their eggs:(. I'm pulling eggs next time. Very easy to artificially hatch CB Style :brows:

Update ;
Dantumn eggs hatched and fry lasted a week or a little longer ?
Not sure if it is lack of attention or an albino thing ? Got eggs again from same pair on Sunday and they should be wigglers tomorrow. Psyched to know I have one good pair at least. I saw another small set of eggs oddly enough on the same end of the 55 as both the other spawns tonight and I know it is not the same pair . Within 1/2 hour the eggs were gone ! :ermm: Bad placement ! :banghead: I have received my Swiss Tropic Matten filter to use as a divider but want to get the 55 only down to 4 angels before I divide tank .Just need to separate pair #1 to there own tank and move the albino Congos.
The black rams are on a tare and I spotted 3 sets of eggs tonight ! One the largest I have seen to date . :dance:
Trying to cull older and less productive fish so as to have room for everyone...Lots of fry that need to be moved to larger tanks ASAP .

Had to work out of town since June so little besides maintenance has happened that I had to do with in the fish room.Only home from Friday night till Sunday evening leaves little time for anything. .
I saw that the dantums spawned at least 3 times but couldn't save the eggs and the parents just don't get it. Finally home now and eggs today from the dantums ! I've been waiting for this ...
Got lots of re arranging to do but for now just getting the room back into breeding condition is going well. Had a spawn from the black rams also but only a small amount of fry survived so far .They started free swimming today so who knows with them? Looking like I have a good sized school of the red picta finally. These I will sort and start a second tank of soon .They are still only available from the one breeder in Hawaii so I am excited to have a good foot hold on these guys.

Thanks all !:thanks:
It was tough on me and my fish to be out of town for so long. Being gone all week and not having favorable results with the wife feeding the fish I opted to only feed the fish on Fri,Sat,Sun and they managed on their own during the week.I changed my goal from breeding great fish to trying to maintain my great fish !A goal is a goal so ?
Well I think for the most part the fish held up better then me !
Home again today due to weather I spied something else fantastic this am.
Pair #2 out of 3 of the dantumns laying eggs !For me this is the first set of eggs ,but who really knows since they share the one side of the 55g with pair #3[not sure either is really a pair]. Hoping to get these eggs before the crowd eats them !
Nice to be home !:cool:
Well not just nice to be home but even nicer to still have the fish Gods smile on me and my fish room !;)

Hey bandit! How was the ram separation anxiety? They must have splashed half the water out of the tank when they saw you walk in with the frozen b worms

I lost some good pairs over the summer but am moving forward with my stock now . My best black male jumped out of his tank the last week I was out of town ...
Being out of town sucks. Working in a NY state prison sucks even more...
Back to fish and actually playing with the paladarium..Hoping to post good updates on that soon. How are your discus B?

Back
Top Bottom