coralbandits fish room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am probably 3-4 hours from NYC .
The wedding was real reason for his trip but also a good excuse to go 12 minutes out of his way to stop by.
My LFS will be holding another 'swap meet on feb. 3 which is great !. Ed the owner seems to want to build a strong community rather then have the nicest house in it.. I really dig his ideas .He wants to schedule a Summer bus trip to the New England Aquarium and even arrange for Aquatic Experience which is in the Meadowlands this year instead of Chicago{Nov. 2018}.
I am up to double digit Red picta fry ! Hopefully I will do well with these.

I'm in for the Aquatic Experience trip. I was planning on going anyhow but If Ed is organizing a bus trip that would be even better.

See ya at the swap :):fish2:

I am hoping [again] to get my trailer loaded up with tanks and such... Checking on it today.
I have so much extra stuff it is crazy. I would really like to get all extra tanks gone if possible . If I was gong to set up a new rack I think new tanks are the way to go..
I might hang on to the 33 longs as they may fit perfect where the 75 is for now...
But if that plan changes :whistle: they will all go also..I only 3-4 at the most so 2-3 will go if I load up.
Doing a lot with the 120 marine and still figuring which 40b I will add the 3 new tanks over..:facepalm:

I am hoping [again] to get my trailer loaded up with tanks and such... Checking on it today.
I have so much extra stuff it is crazy. I would really like to get all extra tanks gone if possible . If I was gong to set up a new rack I think new tanks are the way to go..
I might hang on to the 33 longs as they may fit perfect where the 75 is for now...
But if that plan changes :whistle: they will all go also..I only 3-4 at the most so 2-3 will go if I load up.
Doing a lot with the 120 marine and still figuring which 40b I will add the 3 new tanks over..:facepalm:

I have a small utility trailer you can borrow 4'x7' - 1-7/8" ball

Looks like I have Apisto bitaeniata and hongsloi wigglers !:dance:
The bitaeniata is low yield again and not a ton of hongsloi but if I remember from years ago when the hongsloi bred well for me they were late winter breeders...Hoping they may keep at it.. I swear the irinidae are going to lay eggs any time now.. I see a female near the cave often with the male hanging close.. Last time they spawned it was on the top inside of a pot half.
The pelivica chromis both live but no eggs.. I think these cories are devil fish !
I saw the pair I had before in the cave often but never any eggs ..I used to see the cories go in the cave but when I pulled the pair they stopped..Now I see the cories going in the cave again !:nono:
I will likely move the pair if something doesn't happen soon , and stop wondering if I will ever see cory eggs ..Cleary they are egg eating devils...
On the GBR/EBR front I pulled 4 sets of eggs and 3 pairs have eggs in the tank.1 pair has week old + fry.The EBR that were raising fry laid eggs again with fry in tank so I moved them out last week.They did a great job raising the fry and are one of the pairs that has laid eggs in a place I can not get them so they to raise fry again..If they raise this batch also they will have been the best parenting rams I have ever had..(y)
One of the sets of eggs I got is from a cross back.The young female I added to her father brothers tank has laid eggs 3 times now and I got this one ! She hid the first two and then proceeded to eat them in days, so I am pleased to be able to try and raise this mix..
Getting pretty loaded with fry here so thinking it is time to sell some bonded pairs if anyone is interested..I will be listing them on Aquabid soon...I added a couple fish to may sales this week that have been long awaited since the last time I offered them..Hongsloi pairs and Jet black swordtails from Ed Parker lines. Been working a lot on a marine 120 build in another room so I can get the 75 out of fish room..I think I will stack 4' 33 g longs 3 or 4 high in its place when I get it out. I will need them for all the fry I think..:dance:

I keep thinking about the fire red agassizii. Going to check them out again tomorrow hopefully when I go to get the 60g for another sump build.
In my reading today I found a link similar to what I have read before on breeding them but this fellow listed his TDS...55-50 TDS !
I remember taking my water pretty low before so I figured this may move the irinidae along..
I took them from just over 100 to 57 today and they all look ready and active !
Fingers crossed..

No fire reds ! Just as well ? They were all gone so I didn't even get to put a trained eye to them..I had not a clue what to look for when I saw them..
The irinidae are going to spawn..I know it, I can just tell...Behavior says any day now...
Big momma hongsloi has taken to new cave now for last 2 days heavy today. No eggs but she should lay a bunch. Both the hongsloi and bitaeniata wigglers are doing well and I expect free swimmers any day??
The pair of EBR I separated from their fry have done it again..They have the swarm around them and I suspect they will raise these as long as I let them...FUN to watch.
The orange laser cories are eating the PTM eggs I will say 99% . I see the cories in the cave more then the kribs! I will move the pair this week coming up.
After 4 long months of no fry I have one of my white albino female swordtails separated into a breeder net full of java moss. They must have heard I just found new ones in Hawaii and am negotiating a trade for them...:whistle: Either way I will be happy if I get fry.. These are not easy to find or breed fish..4 months no fry ! Swordtails:nono:

Went to swap meet at LFS today and had a good time . More people then last so over all a good meet. One of my local customers that came to my fish room was there and remembered me[I couldn't remember his name]and was still loving the rams he got from me last year ! Said he a bunch of Apisto trifasciata if I wanted a breeding pair.. When I asked how much he said he would bring them up to me for free to come in and see the fish room again !
This is the picture of what he said his fish looks like !
http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrB8p..._tri.jpg/RK=0/RS=s2KhjYwnsJ06AwSPpv1Q9fhWRk4-

He could see I liked the looks of that fish quite a bit right away...What a beauty ! I asked him yours are that blue ? He said 'oh yea maybe more !' He said he does well breeding them and I should have no problem !
I am excited and again lucky to know generous keepers who think I deserve such good fish..:dance::thanks:It seemed a lot of the people[great breeders] don't know how to ship yet..We will fix that but all agreed that this time of year is not the best time to learn..Especially if you are not overflowing with fish..A couple of these guys were overflowing though . One with Pseudomugil gertrudae he got from our LFS the same time I had them special ordered like 4 years ago...He was breeding them like I do rams ! He had rams also ! His tap one county away was 120TDS !:facepalm: All his fish are tap water breeding ...
Happy weekend people !

No fire reds ! Just as well ? They were all gone so I didn't even get to put a trained eye to them..I had not a clue what to look for when I saw them..
The irinidae are going to spawn..I know it, I can just tell...Behavior says any day now...
Big momma hongsloi has taken to new cave now for last 2 days heavy today. No eggs but she should lay a bunch. Both the hongsloi and bitaeniata wigglers are doing well and I expect free swimmers any day??
The pair of EBR I separated from their fry have done it again..They have the swarm around them and I suspect they will raise these as long as I let them...FUN to watch.
The orange laser cories are eating the PTM eggs I will say 99% . I see the cories in the cave more then the kribs! I will move the pair this week coming up.
After 4 long months of no fry I have one of my white albino female swordtails separated into a breeder net full of java moss. They must have heard I just found new ones in Hawaii and am negotiating a trade for them...:whistle: Either way I will be happy if I get fry.. These are not easy to find or breed fish..4 months no fry ! Swordtails:nono:

Went to swap meet at LFS today and had a good time . More people then last so over all a good meet. One of my local customers that came to my fish room was there and remembered me[I couldn't remember his name]and was still loving the rams he got from me last year ! Said he a bunch of Apisto trifasciata if I wanted a breeding pair.. When I asked how much he said he would bring them up to me for free to come in and see the fish room again !
This is the picture of what he said his fish looks like !
http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrB8p..._tri.jpg/RK=0/RS=s2KhjYwnsJ06AwSPpv1Q9fhWRk4-

He could see I liked the looks of that fish quite a bit right away...What a beauty ! I asked him yours are that blue ? He said 'oh yea maybe more !' He said he does well breeding them and I should have no problem !
I am excited and again lucky to know generous keepers who think I deserve such good fish..:dance::thanks:It seemed a lot of the people[great breeders] don't know how to ship yet..We will fix that but all agreed that this time of year is not the best time to learn..Especially if you are not overflowing with fish..A couple of these guys were overflowing though . One with Pseudomugil gertrudae he got from our LFS the same time I had them special ordered like 4 years ago...He was breeding them like I do rams ! He had rams also ! His tap one county away was 120TDS !:facepalm: All his fish are tap water breeding ...
Happy weekend people !
CB - Was told the swaps will be an ongoing event maybe every couple of Months. I enjoy it and do quite well with the Plants (sold a few swimmy things as well)

Who has baby white albino swordtails ???
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
Got a road trip this am so will have to work on sump for the marine switch over later if I get back early enough...
I feel like 'Touch down Tommy today !" Go Pats !
I have been waiting for these babies for 4 months !:nono:

Are your albino helleri or alvarezi?

Guessing by dorsal fin I am saying Helleri.
I don't believe their is any wild in them.
I just researched a little more and these are fairly rare fish..Like I thought...
The report by a famous keeper indicated that most of the white albino and colored albino[RREA for example ]were developed by fish keepers in Hawaii !
Now I want those other albinos even more ! I am thinking I can't do any better then direct from the source ?
The reference was made by Daryl Mefford a big time livebearer breeder and respected in the aquatic community for his knowledge and experience.
http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrBT_...rdtails//RK=0/RS=Xvl34WZBqGqohvbs1v28XKtcPw4-
:dance::dance::dance:

I just back in so I looked and will guess 30-40 fry !

Baby albinos are hanging in .It looks like a 50% loss but I think many were still born ?
My first guess was just that before I had to fly , a guess . I cleaned the dead and such later that night. They are looking good and thinking still 30 maybe ? I will be happy if just get good breeding stock from these guys..
Lost the female PTM today.. She was near the surface last night looking a little bloated.
Water tested all good with trates under 30 and TDS at 115. She looked even worse today hanging on top of some java moss and a little pine coned . So I moved her to the tank I had prepped for the fire reds if I got them.
The water was perfect match [115TDS] and clean new 4-5 day old water.. She seem to fail pretty quickly afterwards ...Sad.:(
The biteaniata have laid eggs again. Their last eggs along with the hongsloi are still just getting going as free swimmers .The hongsloi are even slower as they are in cooler water..
Sent out more boxes of fish in one day then ever before yesterday.. Lets just say I should stop after 15 for my mental health.. I had 20 boxes go out with 4 that had 8 individual bags [doubled] in each.. I think I packed close to 100 bags of fish yesterday..:nono:
I made it to the post office at 4:55..:dance:
I have managed 15 without issue but it always depends what is ordered.. The EBA are PIA as I have to single bag the friendly little guys ! 6 rams is 3 bags [doubled],8 EBA is 8 bags [doubled]..:nono:
I like rams so much more !:whistle:

Thanks Mike .
I'll have her fry going soon I hope .
Maybe I will see her beauty in others , I hope so .
Seems strange .Her tank has no issues or weird things.
Established a year ,steady and other fish are fine .She shared the 29 with 6 hatchet 6-9 orange laser cories and 2 farrowella .The new mate was most recent addition and both he and all others seem fine ?
I'll be keeping my eye on him and the tank.

Letting the fish do a little work for me today.. I decided to cheat and load up the good EBR parents with a couple other sets of fry the same age.. So I added 2 Dip and pours with over 100-200 each in the 10g with them and their fry.. Immediately the new fry started to swim and hang with the others.. The parents seemed very receptive and I hope they weed out the weaklings . I think this will increase survival rate myself.. If so this 10g alone will have many great rams come from it. :cool:
Snatched the bitaeniata wigglers today ! They sure hatched fast IMO..I know I slack ,but thought they would still be eggs today ?:nono:
Hoping to move platinum angels to 20 tall and get the albino swords into their tank..(y)
Watching momma hongsloi as she is owning the cave.. She lets me pick it up and shine flashlight all around in it .....While she still stays in it !
No eggs but this am she was out in front guarding her cave entrance..Soon:whistle:
Male irinidae is actively courting but same story as hongsloi with females..I am keeping my eye on them also...

Went to LFS get a female Pelvicachromas Taeniatus Moliwe for my lone male I just got the otherday..Didn't seem right him alone..
So I caught him [not easy] and have both acclimating to their new home. A 20g [12x24] that will be all theirs !
We will see how these two do?
While there I saw [in the same tank] todays shipment of kuhli loaches ...
I snapped all of them still in suppliers bag and have them in the 29 now with the orange laser cories ,hatchet fish and farrowellas.. Thinking the cories are going sooner or later..I know someone who wants them I owe a favor.....
I'll get pics of the kuhlis [all 20 of them] when they settle in and of course I hope pics of the PTM.

Who has hongsloi eggs today !:dance:
hQsRp6fl.jpg

Hard to see but they are there.. Not sure if it is big momma or another female snook in ? I will take the eggs tomorrow as in the cave they are better with parent then in bubbling D&P.
Monday is always shipping day so Sunday and Monday are big water change days.
I like to change 80-90% on all tanks I will pack fish from...
2rotFDrl.jpg

dWmFarfl.jpg

You can see the 80g filling while the 60g above is draining/drained...I got some yesterday so only about 200+g of actual water changed today....:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom