coralbandits fish room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coralbandit

Aquarium Advice Addict
Seems like it is time to get up to speed on what is in my fish room.This will help me keep track of any changes or events that take place along with having a great place to share all my happenings. I have been keeping and breeding fish for over 30 years and working the rams for last 5 or so and the swords just got re started last year/this spring.

So I will start with just listing what I have ATM;
First fish room
In my rack of 4@15g and 8 @20g
Top 4 @ 15
Lemon yellow hi fin platy,Steel nebula guppies, Apisto bitaeniata with the last 15g empty ATM
Middle 4 @ 20
Long fin swordtails ,lyre tail swords with 2 king lyre males,RREA[re red eyed albino] swords and black/tux swords on their way to creating showa soon enough,and RREA and Jet blacks cooking something special.
Bottom 4@20
Wild green swords with fry,white albino swords ,RREA swords and wild green fry
In the 4@ 20 next to that is;
top 2@20g
trio of pelvicachromis taeniatus
Red tuxedo sword and RREA cross along with long fin male
Bottom 2@20g
Red tuxedo swords
1 Pair of black eyed platinum angels
In the 60/60/80 rack
Top 60g German Blue rams
Middle 60g Electric Blue Rams
Bottom 80g Electric Blue Acara
each tank holds hundreds...
Middle of room has 2@40g
Top 40g has Electric Blue Rams
Bottom 40g has Geerman Blue Rams.
This room also has a planted 29g in the wall with orange laser cories and a 75g marine tank .
675g room total.

Next room has 9@10g and a 75g ,soon to be replaced with 10@5.5g and already has 5 @ 5.5g.
The 75 held Electric Blue Acara now moving in with others in 80g
the 5@5.5 have F1 GBR/EBR cross fry,GBR,F1 GBR/EBR 3 breeding pairs soon to be separated,Red Picta from Hawaii and male Apistogramma hongslio
The 9 @ 10g have;
Top 3 @10g
Male GBR and female EBR breeding weekly,pair of EBR breeding weekly and self cloning cray fish.
Middle 3 @10g
pair of breeding EBR ,pair of breeding GBR and pair breedingof EBR
Bottom 3@10g
Male hongslio ,Alpha and super red swordtails soon to be breeding and pair of Apistogramma irinidae
Room total is/will be aprox.175g

Next room has 4@40b and a 30b and 30 long.
2 @ 40b empty now[not for long though]
2@40b with Electric Blue Rams
30b with Jet black swordtails
30 Long with Apisto hongslio.
The 2 @ 40 b that are empty are also used as my nursery with ATM 14 dip and pours with fry from rams .
Room total of 220g
So that is what is cooking my fish room[ all adding up to 1,075g aprox.] , now just to get some pics and maybe a video up soon...:dance::dance::whistle::brows:

Thanks guys.
The list is for me to help remember even though I write in sharpie on my tanks and for people to know who is who when the video pops up.So much work to do [or at least how I feel ] when I am in the fish room that pics and vids are a distant third in priorities.
I take pics of fish I sell and that takes a lot of time and effort. I post those in this thread as I get to fish.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/some-of-my-fish-361814.html
I feed my fish a pretty wide mix of foods ,but stick with certain sizes and types for raising fry as I only intend to improve success and not mess with it.
All fry get live BBS for 3-4 weeks minimum at least till trained for prepared foods and then often long after. The swordtails ,guppies[red Picta] and platy eat the BBS non stop which is fine as I don't separate fry quickly so they eat right along side of the adults in most cases[the white albino swordtails are surely fry eaters and giving me headaches].:banghead:
Here is a link to my videos from the last year or so ,but this is not updated in months[been busy...].This should do for those new to me until I get caught up[if ever !] with my hobby..Yes this is my hobby.Selling fish has only been going on for a year or so with all my fish going to my LFS before.He still gets every type of fish I breed except the Apistos as they are not as big here as other places.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcS_MCo5JzPAhmB9QK0UvMA

Nice! How are your Bitaeniata? Those are interesting to me

I got the Apistogramma bitaeniata from Keith [Tuna] full grown. He got them at an auction in Syracuse we both attended. Since they would not spawn for him in his water he surrendered them to me[I gave him a bunch of Nebula guppies]...They have shown spawning behavior but I have not seen any proof of actual spawning.
The male is all of 3 inches with some nice coloring[blue].
Being a good bandit I stay patient , consistent and persistent and keep offering blood worms and other treats to lighten the mood .Maybe candlelight will set the mood?
I hope they breed as they are not always available and most know home bred fish are better then store bought...

I got the Apistogramma bitaeniata from Keith [Tuna] full grown. He got them at an auction in Syracuse we both attended. Since they would not spawn for him in his water he surrendered them to me[I gave him a bunch of Nebula guppies]...They have shown spawning behavior but I have not seen any proof of actual spawning.
The male is all of 3 inches with some nice coloring[blue].
Being a good bandit I stay patient , consistent and persistent and keep offering blood worms and other treats to lighten the mood .Maybe candlelight will set the mood?
I hope they breed as they are not always available and most know home bred fish are better then store bought...

Truth! According to Horst Linke, very soft water, 5.8, 1dkh, and about 24 degrees Celsius.

Sorry, I have the page turned on this one in my American Cichlids1 book

I love the finnage on these, skinny caca’s

He also says small broods, less than 50

Truth! According to Horst Linke, very soft water, 5.8, 1dkh, and about 24 degrees Celsius.

Sorry, I have the page turned on this one in my American Cichlids1 book

I love the finnage on these, skinny caca’s

He also says small broods, less than 50

Nice info ! I am not afraid to go very low TDS with some SA cichlids..
I try to go slow but some of my Apistos like it at like 50 tds or less..I don't think I can accurately test below what the API Ph kit does ,so I gauge most water parameters off TDS.
On the Pelicachromis taeniatus I moved the alpha pair as the female was raising hell in with the others. I lost I think a male to aggression from the alpha ,and she[alpha female] had an issue forming on her upper jaw from battle.
In their own 20g with a Dr chirhiros her mouth continued to become eroded away.I felt it best to euthanize her the other day.In the mean time all that was left in the 29 from original [I think 6?] was 2 females who seemed to get along..
They are now in the 20 with the male as I thought maybe the cories were causing trouble?
So the clock started a day ago and this a.m. one of the females was so dark it was impressive and the other MIA !Hoping to get these guys to breed .:popcorn:

Very nice setup.

What do you use for lighting?

Thanks !

I am liking the Beamsworks DA FSPEC the most now.
I really like the fluval 2.0 planted but they are pricey. I have 2 One on the 29 in the wall and the other on the EBR in the middle of the room 40b
I have had 1 out of my 3 finnex 24/7 crap out ,but maybe it just the cheap power switcher[transformer] ?
I also have 'reef bars' in the 48" 8,000k running the 48 inch set ups like the 60/60/80 and the 15/20 rack. The tops of both of those setups are run on Beamsworks 48 " now...
Besides the Fluvals that have built in dimmers I run a cheap $4.99 dimmer I found on Ebay to all my lights .It fits and works with all of my lights .It is nice to able to dim a tank to what ever you like.
Here is the dimmer link;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5A-Swi...ite/251679889257?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Here's something special !
Very first pictures of any kind of my F1 pairs from my male EBR and female GBR.I am calling them Red rams..What do you guys think?
They either have eggs or fry..All three pairs ! They were hatched 6/6 like it says on the tank and this is the first time I have photod them at all.They share a 5.5 gallon tank right now but soon will each be upgraded to separate tanks.

Just posted pictures of my green spotted swordtails in the classifieds.I got them from my buddy ApistoShane in Oregon.
These are some handsome fish for sure.

Here are some juvenile that I am selling.

Haven't seen Swordtails like that. Very nice.

These are presumed to be the 'grass roots' so to speak of swordtails.
There are several wild type swords but the green sword is what when bred with platies give us so many of the colors we commonly enjoy..I have half a brain [ on good days:cool:] to take females from these when I know I can sex them and try to breed them with my yellow high fin platies[next to get pics maybe? ]. The platies also are great parents and stunning so the combo in long term breeding could be original.
On the black spots in wild fish they are common but in aquariums often left uncontrolled by proper outbreeding the black can become melanoma..Like people get ! Same with my Jet Blacks.My understanding is to keep the fish healthy not breeding fish with spots in the fins is important as the melanoma can first show/grow in fins...
These guys like my Jet Blacks are 100% melanoma free so far !(y)
When I created my own 'sanke/showa' swords I did not know anything on this and in my 3 years of mixing colors to get my own showa I brought out melanoma in about 5% of my fry.
Several colleges in the US use swordtails to study melanoma .

I thought i had a pretty good working knowledge regarding most fish discussed on AA. That info was all new to me. Thanks Bandit.
Have you ever considered breeding Red Texas Cichlids.Typically it's Green Texas male x Blood Parrott or Red Devil female, then breed select growouts back with a Green Texas. The quality built unfaded juveniles sell for 30 bucks a peice. The faded juvs. Start at 50 bucks and the master piece reds sell for 100 bucks and up. I understand successfully breeding them is very difficult, which explains the big price tag, but I bet you could pull it off.
I recently acquired a pair of Red Texas juveniles as well as three "Rapps" Green Texas Carpintus juveniles. I'm going to raise them together and see where it goes. Red Texas males are usually sterile so success not likely. The female unfaded Red "I think" exhibits Blood Parrot head traits with a green Texas body type. The male is going to be a fader, and was probably mixed with a Red Devil. Got a bad attitude for a 2" fish. Both are beautiful fish.
Just a thought.

The short body Green Texas / Blood Parrot variety, maybe 6" - 8". The Green Texas / Red Devil
variety, 8" - 1'. There is a Breeder named " Dan " on YouTube, title "Your fish keeper friend" has a lot of information reference breeding Red Texas Cichlids and keeping aggressive cichlid tanks in general. I think Dan is a fellow Oklahoman. He has a series of very interesting YouTubes worth watching.

This is really cool. I like the red rams a lot :) You really are living my dream there, bandit :) maybe someday I’ll have a greenhouse and a cool rack setup :)

Back
Top Bottom