New Pics Of My 90 Gallon Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very nice! Just watch the goldies and the DW, if they can get stuck in it, behind it, or anywhere else they will. I finally got my kids to take the grandkids fancy goldies home a few weeks ago. I had 8+ inch imported fancies and even one Lemon head orando. Planting their tanks was always so challenging and your so right that they are delicate and require a lot of work! What food are you feeding? I really liked the Pro-Gold sinking pellets and Hakari Lion Head and other specialty sinking pellets. Then their veggies and fruits. Cooked deshelled peas were on the menu 2x a week to keep them from getting constipated and having swim bladder problems. Good luck and enjoy!

Thank you. :)
Food...I have a few I like. I make up the Repashy soilent green which they love. And believe it or not a food from petsmart of all places is one of my favorites due to the ingredients.. Omega One pellets. I also switch off to new life spectrum, southern d'light,Dainichi ultra, or Hikari saki sometimes. I do not do much fruit, but they do get veggies. Thanks for the tip. The DW is pretty big and open.

I've recently started using the Repashy foods and I know my GF would have loved them. My goldies favorite fruit was watermelon. Since we have a 4000g pond and a smaller pond we feed the koi fruits so the GF always got some too. Oranges went over pretty big. Those were the two favorites of my GF. Then as a super treat I always kept a pot of duckweed growing outside in the summer and it was amazing how fast those big GF could slurp up all that tiny duckweed. They wouldn't leave one tiny little piece.

Oh I would love to have a big pond! Here, predators are a huge issue though. If it's not herons or eagles picking off your fish, the raccoons will get them. The reason I stay pretty much away from fruits is the nutrient issue in the tank. Giving them just before a big water change is ok. I feel the same way about frozen foods. Today they had fun with a couple chunks of cucumber.

We live right up by the confluence of where the Mississippi and Missouri rivers converge so all the eagles, herons, and major predators stay in the conservation area's. We also make the pond 3 feet deep in the far end which is where the koi winter and go to at night. I've seen an occasional Barred Owl come down but they go to the back smaller pond where there are goldfish and some bullhead catfish. I've yet to see any victims tho in over 15 years. We did have a raccoon one summer who used to get along the edge of the smaller pond but he wasn't fishing for fish, he was after the big trapdoor snails. We knew every morning if he visited as he'd leave a nice pile of empty snail shells! Here's a link to the pond if you want to take a peek. My daughter imported some Koi and they are some real beauties.... just for size reference the largest koi in the pic's are over 2 foot....
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 4000g pond.

WOW! That is gorgeous! I love the one with the huge fins! That is really lovely with the pinkish foliage at the edges. Thanks for sharing!:)

Oh my..your 220 with those big angels, threadfins, and not one stitch of algae is amazing as well!:eek:

Thank you Paul!
I am loving the new live plants again. I hope I can keep them nice.:)

Your tank is beautiful. What type of plants do you have in there? Do you use co2? I love the black sand with the rocks, is the sand ok to use with goldfish? You have such pretty goldfish too, I'd love to emulate a tank like that when I upgrade in the next few months.

Hello, thank you.:) The plants from the left are amazon sword{in substrate}, java fern on mat, and 7 anubias barteri XXlarge on the driftwood.Ferns and anubias should not be in substrate. The amazon has several root tabs stuffed into the substrate below it, the others will live off the fish waste. No CO2.
The substrate looks like sand, and is called Tahitian moon sand, but is actually a fine gravel. It's nice and soft, and waste generally sits on top of it, making it easy to remove the detritus by using a length of tubing and hovering just above it. This time I only used one bag, concentrating most of it over the sword. The rest is just a thin layer. Lighting is 2X 54 watt HO T5 Giesemann aquaflora bulbs.
This tank was a reef tank before, so it has a built in overflow which helps to oxygenate the water. The water flows over to a sump, it goes through a filter sock, in a chamber where there are 4 extra large media bags with eheim media. Over a few baffles{left from when it was a reef}, and is returned via an external blueline pump through locline.There is also an airpump which sits on top of the tank, and a 12" airstone. This helps keep oxygen in the tank while I do water changes. The stand/canopy was built by my husband mostly from oak. I should take some pics of the sump area.

That last pic with three of the Goldies facing the left side and the other one looking elsewhere reminds me of a family portrait.

Back
Top Bottom