Reentry--my 45

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMG_20141117_160733571.jpg

IMG_20141117_161741224_HDR.jpg

I was messing around with my phone and a magnifying glass, and got a couple of neat photos, one of an adult and one of one of the babies.

Nice move, I have also done that lol, it works pretty well. I am always using the magnifying glass to see them clearly, and look for new babies!

I have occasional visitors stare at me vaguely when I show them the shrimp and they say "why do you keep shrimp?" ("or breed shrimp, people want those?")with a perplexed (almost concerned) look :/ "They are so small and you really can't see them."

But...I can see them, even better with the magnifying glass!!!

They are the coolest little things, and I'm really surprised at how fun it is to sit and watch them! Right now I'm actually contemplating getting a "real" tank for them--one of the pet stores has the 6gallon Fluval Edge (the tank I stumbled across on Amazon a year ago and put on my wishlist that really kicked this whole aquarium bug back into action for me) about half off right now and it's really tempting, even though I don't... really... have the funds right at the moment.

Yeah, they are super cool... and if they can stay on sale for another month I can probably swing it, but I'm not sure right now. I may wind up picking up a rimless something or another along with some clip-on light and use the sponge filter I have in a box somewhere.

I bought six Otos. They were always my favorite in my old tank and when I saw them at the LFS they looked healthy, and most of them had round belies. And there's definitely enough algae to keep them occupied for a while! And also some algae tablets for them since the other bottom feeder food I've got for the Panda Cories is shrimp based.

_________
Yelling into the tin can from the far end of the string

It's really quite amazing how much more life the 45 has now that the Otos are in there! It seems that they're acting as a sort of dither fish for the Panda Cories, who usually just hung out behind the driftwood unless you put food in, and even then were very skittish. And they just swim all over the place, perching on the most precarious tips of leaves imaginable! Hopefully the plants will start taking off now that I put in the Osmocote tabs and I can feel more comfortable about finally adding some Neons, which is what I wanted at the very start, if you can remember that far back!

Update time! Haven't posted a picture of the big tank in a while:

hkoba2s1nkR14--JElP4q4WSAqeUkvcUrwr-_-UPMYULAYspN

Plants: the wisteria hasn't done anything yet, but it was the worst condition of any of the Petschmo plants I've gotten so I think it probably needs time to get rooted and whatnot. The bacopa is starting to get going a little better, which is good. Also, the dwarf sag is actually starting to act like it's going to do something, with a new leaf coming up and, well, it just looks happier then it did a week or two ago. And the Anacharis is a constant battle to beat back! The Italian val, after sending out runners all over the place as soon as it was planted, has turned all static, so I don't know what its deal is.

Fish front: Lost one oto on the second day, but after that all the others are doing fine, and earning their pay, the tank looks sparkling clean--haven't even thought about needing to use the magnafloat since they went in. One of the tetras was beat up bad a couple weeks ago (I was having a lot of aggression issues with them, which have been resolved), and I thought he was going to pull through but today he's looking pretty raggedy. :(

Question time:

1) my first anubias (the wavy-leaf one on the driftwood on the right hand side under all the anacharis) some of the leaves are turning yellow (you can see one of the leaves in the picture is just starting to), and one fell off after it turned. I'm not sure if this is a sign of some sort of deficiency or if it was somehow damaged and it's finally getting around to showing it. Does anubias drop leaves when put into a different type of water, like I've heard some other plants do?

2) the capsule size I got with the osmocote was the "O" size, which as I understand is smaller than the "OO" size recommended. With the bigger ones, the spacing was supposed to be about 6" apart--with these smaller ones should I have put them in more densely?

I might make new posts elsewhere and re-ask those questions (I don't think the showcase thread gets as much traffic) but I thought I'd throw them out there since I was in the process of apparently writing a mega-post.

And as a post-script:

FXBh4_s15yQ87HZunfPLnFkN5n2Tn61fMBxdfS4Vm6cLAYspN

The shrimp are still doing shrimpy things. Haven't spotted the two babies in a few days, for a while there I was seeing them all over the place. Hope they're still alive in there. And the one female that was berried seems to have dropped most of her eggs, but she's still got a couple that she's carrying around--they ought to be getting close to hatching, I've had them almost three weeks now and she had the eggs when I got her.

The more I look at the one I thought was a male the more I'm not sure if it is or a juvenile female.

We shall see what happens!

Not sure I remember all the questions...lol!

As for the Anubias, do you dose liquid ferts? The root tabs are mainly absorbed by the roots of the stem plants. Yeah probably every 4 inches, but you can add a few. Remember Osmocote is a slow release fert. Also though I don't remember which one older Osmocote new Osmocote (maybe either one?!?)_but you need to watch for an ammonia spike.

The Anubias might not prefer your water, pH, or something. I have my Anubias Frazeri and another narrow leaf one and neither of them have ever been very happy in my tanks. Anubias usually hasn't ever seemed to have much of an adjustment period, it doesn't drop leaves. I have all kinds from a Nana "micro petite" soooo tiny, and the Barteri.

Wow, the Anacharis is crazzzzy!

I put in flourish at water change time. Haven't noticed any spikes since I put in the tabs. The kind I got is osmocote plus, which seems to be the all around best suggestion. It's hard for me to think the Anubias doesn't like my water when it's putting on so much new growth. Guess I'll see how the new leaves do when/if the old ones fall off. The Anubias congensis seems to be doing OK still, though it hasn't been in the tank as long.

And yeah, I can rest assured that I could always give up my life of crime and become an Anacharis farmer.

_________

Well, a few things. I got a bottle of Flourish Iron, and despite the vague dosing directions I've just been putting in a few ml of it when I add the other fertilizers. Haven't lost any other leaves from the anubias, though I'm not sure the one that is most yellow has gotten any better either. I have a vague feeling that the bacopa is looking a little deeper green than it did before but I could be dreaming.

Next, I should add that I lost the injured tetra. He stuck in there for several weeks, but Saturday he finally kicked the bucket. I thought for a while there he was going to get better but by thursday he wasn't looking all that good, though he was still eating. Sorry little fish, I dried to do my best by ya'.

And last, I think I'm going to run by Petschmo tomorrow and see if the Edge that's been on their sale shelf for the past few weeks survived black friday. I figure if it did then it's a sign, and I'll pick it up, but if it doesn't then I'll see about alternatives.

And last, I think I'm going to run by Petschmo tomorrow and see if the Edge that's been on their sale shelf for the past few weeks survived black friday. I figure if it did then it's a sign, and I'll pick it up, but if it doesn't then I'll see about alternatives.[/QUOTE]

You had one of those on the shelf at your store too?:lol: I have been eye balling that thing for months. The employee said they would probably send it back to the manufacturer instead of making it cheaper!!! Let me know asap, since I was trying to buy one for my daughter for Christmas. (or did I already mention that earlier on?)

Nice to hear about the plants greening up, even if it is in your "imagination". I may need to get a bottle of iron.

And last, I think I'm going to run by Petschmo tomorrow and see if the Edge that's been on their sale shelf for the past few weeks survived black friday. I figure if it did then it's a sign, and I'll pick it up, but if it doesn't then I'll see about alternatives.

You had one of those on the shelf at your store too?:lol: I have been eye balling that thing for months. The employee said they would probably send it back to the manufacturer instead of making it cheaper!!! Let me know asap, since I was trying to buy one for my daughter for Christmas. (or did I already mention that earlier on?)

Nice to hear about the plants greening up, even if it is in your "imagination". I may need to get a bottle of iron.[/QUOTE]

They've been 50% off at petschmert form the the last couple months in my area..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

RqL8ifCGOJCKPaHk1goC2wkKhuzGU-eoWUhPR9_Ggv8LAYspN

Dunn dunn DUNNNNNNN!

About 85 bucks with a sponge prefilter and taxes. Now I need to figure out what I'm going to put in it. Thinking of ordering some cholla wood. Anyone got any good threads on what people have been doing with EDGE tanks?

But one thing's for sure, I'm going to need to buy some more shrimp, my four little guys will get lost in there if they're all alone.

RqL8ifCGOJCKPaHk1goC2wkKhuzGU-eoWUhPR9_Ggv8LAYspN

Dunn dunn DUNNNNNNN!

About 85 bucks with a sponge prefilter and taxes. Now I need to figure out what I'm going to put in it. Thinking of ordering some cholla wood. Anyone got any good threads on what people have been doing with EDGE tanks?

But one thing's for sure, I'm going to need to buy some more shrimp, my four little guys will get lost in there if they're all alone.

Lol...shrimp tank,why not....

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

Well I bought it to upgrade the shrimp out of the little 2 gallon that was really only a temporary thing to start with. Might get a group of nano fish to go with them eventually. I was really asking more for decor/plant ideas than stocking ideas.

_________

Plant wise I have dwarf sag,red crypts,rotala,java moss&pelia moss..using eco-complete mixed w/tahitian moon sand..

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

Back
Top Bottom