Reentry--my 45

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New plants!

7vBOazTC4hh9cqbzvJSocoLfhl7K655nZM5dCIV-NysLAYspN

Pennywort floating up in the corner, held there with a suction cup and some thread for now, I need to get some fishing line or something that wont disintegrate like cotton. Was rushed for time so I crammed in the Ludwigia repens next to and among the Bacopa--I think I need to consolidate/remove some anacharis and maybe rearrange driftwood. Some Star. repens went in front there to see what it can do since the dwarf sag. is still in a holding pattern, apparently.

And I really need to put in a plug for Planted Aquariums Central, where I ordered the plants--they all look to be very nice. Clean, healthy, and generous portions, if the plants don't survive it'll definitely be because of me and not because of the store. (FCC/FTC/FAC disclamer, no, I wasn't paid to say that, though if anyone wanted to pay me to say that I'm open to negotiations...)

Perhaps... just perhaps, I may be approaching Neon Tetra territory... aqadvisor still says I can get 15 of them or something like that, which would be a little low for what my initial goal was, but would still add some nice color.

I've also started to scrounge bits and pieces to maybe put together a diy CO2 setup, though that's a whole 'nother level of scary obsessing that I'm not sure I'm ready for...

New plants!

7vBOazTC4hh9cqbzvJSocoLfhl7K655nZM5dCIV-NysLAYspN

Pennywort floating up in the corner, held there with a suction cup and some thread for now, I need to get some fishing line or something that wont disintegrate like cotton. Was rushed for time so I crammed in the Ludwigia repens next to and among the Bacopa--I think I need to consolidate/remove some anacharis and maybe rearrange driftwood. Some Star. repens went in front there to see what it can do since the dwarf sag. is still in a holding pattern, apparently.

And I really need to put in a plug for Planted Aquariums Central, where I ordered the plants--they all look to be very nice. Clean, healthy, and generous portions, if the plants don't survive it'll definitely be because of me and not because of the store. (FCC/FTC/FAC disclamer, no, I wasn't paid to say that, though if anyone wanted to pay me to say that I'm open to negotiations...)

Perhaps... just perhaps, I may be approaching Neon Tetra territory... aqadvisor still says I can get 15 of them or something like that, which would be a little low for what my initial goal was, but would still add some nice color.

I've also started to scrounge bits and pieces to maybe put together a diy CO2 setup, though that's a whole 'nother level of scary obsessing that I'm not sure I'm ready for...

CO2 a little scary, but seems to be amazing in a tank. Lots of pros here for that aspect. Neons sooooooooo pretty. Plants look great!

My bacopa is finally kind of growing at a noticeable rate at least, though nowhere near Anacharis levels.

_________
Yelling into the tin can from the far end of the string

Hmmm, it seems that all of my Anacharis has decided to start melting all at once. Might need to switch some things up here...

Hmmm, it seems that all of my Anacharis has decided to start melting all at once. Might need to switch some things up here...

Any recent changes (temp, lights, ferts and other additives)? What are you currently adding to the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think maybe it's because I've been trying to be more regular with dosing excel, though it's still about a half dose. I also use regular flourish and flourish iron, both about twice a week. And there's osmocote+ root caps, though I didn't put them in where the Anacharis is planted.

_________
Yelling into the tin can from the far end of the string

Check your water quality. I don't know, I kill plants that everyone calls weeds, So I am not sure. I am sorry to hear that. Water quality degradation due to melting can quickly turn deadly in a tank, I would take it out and throw it into a bucket if it is seriously all dropping the leaves/dying, just to be on the safe side. I have killed and nearly killed fish because of plants melting.

I checked the water and there was a very slight amount of ammonia, still less than 0.25 though. The nitrites were 0 and the nitrates were maybe between 5-10, though if you ask me all 5, 10, and 15 all look the same (same story with the pH test, it really bugs me). Ahem, I'll get off my soapbox now.

I pulled it all out with the morning water change and cut off all the rotten parts and re-planted the good stuff. There's still quite a bit, but it's definitely not as long anymore!

A few things for an update:

Looking around the tank after supper tonight and found a dead cory. He was jammed in between a pile of rocks and under a bunch of java moss, almost like he got stuck or something. You'd think they'd know better than that?

I've been seeing what looks to be tiny Malaysian Trumpet snails popping up occasionally, which I think I'm actually kind of happy with. I like them a lot more than the pond snails (that I haven't seen in a week, now, so who knows how many of them are in there).

My Ludwigia repens is shedding leaves left and right now, hope it's just because they're getting used to the new water and whatnot. Some of the plants are showing big ol' nibble marks around the edges (see: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/are-those-bite-marks-325616.html , though the picture of course has disappeared; I think I'm going to abandon my amazon photo hosting service and go back to picasa...). Not just leaves that have fallen off, but leaves still attatched to the plants. Seems someone in there likes the taste of them, and likes the taste a lot more than any of the other plants--all the other plants I've never seen this on.

I was thinking that maybe it's time to get a small school of neons to start in on that project now that I have some floating plants, but with the dead cory maybe not. I guess I'll check the water in the morning before I decide.

With the MTS you may have to yearly or so sift out the big ones and small ones you find and pass them on to someone else if they get to be too much.

Sorry to hear about your Cory; maybe it got it's barbels caught on something and couldn't get out. Hopefully it wasn't sick.

I guess I see a lot more benefits to MTS than other snails, so I don't mind them.

Tested the water and everything looks fine, so I don't think the dead cory was because of that.

With the MTS you may have to yearly or so sift out the big ones and small ones you find and pass them on to someone else if they get to be too much.

Sorry to hear about your Cory; maybe it got it's barbels caught on something and couldn't get out. Hopefully it wasn't sick.

I think Autumn may have a point here as catfish often have backwards pointing barbs. I found a dead oto lodged in the mouth of a lionhead once (don't ask about Otos and goldfish being together...it was during a less enlightened time for me)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Guess I should move my rock pile so it's more spread out. As I once read someone on this forum: "Never underestimate the power of tiny fish with tiny brains to put their tiny heads into tiny places."

Guess I should move my rock pile so it's more spread out. As I once read someone on this forum: "Never underestimate the power of tiny fish with tiny brains to put their tiny heads into tiny places."

ROFL, love it!

wpid-img_20141216_192929145.jpg

Hopefully they can all get along with the H&TL Tetras...

You aren't wasting any time there!!! Love those and Cardinals, just liven up a tank!!!

Back
Top Bottom