Reentry--my 45

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is the link to my tank progression below pic, lol. Newest photos are first, going back.

This is one of my favorite shots with a little Mexican Dwarf Orange Crayfish showing off.
60074-albums9764-picture50416.jpg

Album link here
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/60074-albums9764.html

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's mobile only, it was doing that to me the other day, too.

_________
Yelling into the tin can from the far end of the string

Well that is odd, I seem to remember this happening before too, that is weird.

I edited it, you can try again or...

You can just check my album from the profile link. 6.6G

Last edited:
Just messing around this morning with some rocks the LFS had:

IMG_20141203_082821842.jpg

I'm wondering if I could get dwarf sag to grow in there with just the stock light...

I use the led replacement bulbs in mine & get great growth..the dwarf sag is sending out runners like CRAZY! I planted 1 dwarf sag plant&now there may be close to 15+..took about a month for it to adjust to the tank&then it took off..

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

I have some crypt wendti which grows in the front 2 corners..

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

Heaven help me but I just dropped another wad of cash on more plants--tiger's crypts to try in the corner of the Edge, some star repens (I'm gonna find a foreground plant that will GROW eventually, darn it!) ludwigia repens because I think some redder plants would look nice in the 45, some pennywort to see if I can rig up a suction cup to use it as a floater, and another Anubias, a nana petite. The weather is looking pretty good for the next week so I don't think there should be any problems with them getting frozen or delayed--cross your fingers knock on wood!

I just saw a new baby shrimp, so apparently the new momma in there hatched at least one of the eggs she started out with! Of course, considering I'm going to be wanting to transfer them all over to the new Edge soon, after I get it set up, that just makes things more complicated--they may only be in a 2 gallon tank but a shimplet that big is going to be impossible to find!

Ok, I had a question about heaters that I asked in the general equipment forum but wanted to run by you fine people, as well. First, look at this:

fuEc1OW6Eq8YEgUMcAxB4hxCYZsvEprPc0rTuiSAjOELAYspN

As you can see, the "small" 25W Eheim Jager heater I had sitting in my closet kinda almost barely fits, if you bury the bottom in the substrate. Do you think that will be a problem? Do you have any recommendations for heaters that would fit better? The girl at the LFS today tried to sell me on a Cobalt Neo-therm, and while it's really neat and looks like it would fit and blend in a lot better (did I mention the Eheim is HUUUUUUGE?) it's also really expensive.

Messing around with the magnifying glass again!

Up23TIVUteDjf19dmbnddFmawBfPgYawriGcccStEVILAYspN

Also, my plants supposedly shipped today, and I did order a Cobalt heater because the Jager got on top of my OCD button and it beat up my skinflint blood.

I use the little Fluval one which is made for the Edge. I had one not heat very much and the other one has been working well. They fit nicely. But to answer your question, I don't think it would hurt the heater to be stuck in the sand a little. Only would be concerned if it was more than just the end. Can you tell or find out from the company where the temp is monitored at on the heater? Then you can see if it is at the bottom, I wouldn't, but I bet it is in the center or something other than the bottom.

That's a good point. Looking at the box on the little schematic they've got on there the thermostat is at the top, between the control knob and the heating element. I would've considered the little fluval one (because it is a nice size) but I really don't feel comfortable with a heater that doesn't have a thermostat...

I thought the same thing about the not having an adjustment too, but since this is the temp I wanted anyway I decided no worries. I have a few spare sized heaters for emergencies, like QT, meds, etc of certain sizes, bought 2 extras when I needed to heat up the 72G for the Ich scare. I went through losing about 4 heaters in a year so decided it was time for a few extras in my supply shelf, lol.

Also I buy lower sized heaters for the tanks and also got some of the kind that break the circuit if they start to get too hot, had a bad situation when I was a kid and a heater cooked almost all my mom's, and my fish. So never trusted heaters much since.

It's always a tradeoff between having enough oomph to actually heat anything and worrying about it sticking on and boiling your tank.

Actually, I could have just stopped at "It's always a tradeoff."

Back
Top Bottom