The Nursery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check about the Cuprisorb, I think it mentioned binding some other heavy metals too. It isn't too expensive.

If you know the kind of fert tab /cap you can check on its contents and see if any of the ingredients would be harmful if too much, and if it is on the list Cuprisorb works on.

I use the homemade gel caps filled with osmocoat plus. I put about 9 of them in there when I decided to go with a deeper sand bed and plant it. I was also dosing with Flourish and Potassium since there weren’t any fish to feed the plants. But then the GSA popped up. So I added some phosphorus too.

I figure if I quit adding anything other than clean water weekly it will help. I’ll pick up some cuprisorb too. Can’t hurt.

I added a ramshorn snail last weekend and within about 5 days he was starting to shows signs of distress. I’ve been doing a ton of surfing and reading and the only thing I can figure is based on the symptom is heavy metals. I suspect it is leaching from the Tahitian moon sand. All of the copper tests have been negative. I think the Prime is taking care of metals in the water changes it can’t keep up with whatever is causing the problem. I considered all kinds of expensive tests but it’s cheaper just to switch the substrate out to PFS or the Garnet. I will be peeking in the canister tomorrow and will be curious if the Cuprisorb has any color blue yet.

We stuck the magnet directly in it and again WOW

https://youtu.be/tiU9qsxPhe4

Pulling it all out today and going to change out the sponges on the canister. Only 1/3 of the canister is sponge so I’m hoping the rest of the mature media will keep my tank cycled.

I haven’t had a chance to open the canister yet. My husband demands the I cook to feed him. Lol. Then I get to play in the tank.

A little hairy on this but you may even be getting low levels of arsenic and / or sulphur plus something else leaching out (as magnetite slowly oxidises or just leaching out). I think from memory prime and others detoxify heavy metals but may be missing a few. Just a thought that might be other elements possible as well that cause issues.

Got everything done! Tank is clearing. The Cuprisorb looked just like it did when I added it. But I guess it only turns blue for copper if I understand the instructions. Perhaps the snails grazing on the substrate and ingesting the metals is why it’s impacting them so much? The fish aren’t showing any symptoms. The 2 Amanos I added are fine, but they have been hanging out in the canister. I changed the intake to something smaller to keep them out of there from now on. IMG_2782.jpg

Still a little hazy. If it doesn’t clear by tomorrow I’ll set up my HOB with some polishing cloth. IMG_1517193868.511126.jpg

Struggling to pinpoint the problem. I’ve tried everything. I really hope changing the substrate solves the mystery.

Maybe a bigger tank would help? No reason, whenever things are going off, I dream of a hassle-free bigger tank (then reality comes back).

Maybe a bigger tank would help? No reason, whenever things are going off, I dream of a hassle-free bigger tank (then reality comes back).

Hahaha. My old subfloor...I don’t dare. I am fortunate out of my 5 tanks this is the only one throwing me curve balls.

Water has cleared and the fish really pop on the light sand. IMG_2930.jpg

These goobers really like playing in the weeds. IMG_2932.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom