My 125 reef in progress tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best place for most tangs is in a 6 foot tank. Period.

Just because you "can" do something doesn't mean you "should".

Tangs are very very prone to ich and other stress related diseases. The swimming room they need is what keeps them healthy and a good diet of seaweed will help as well.

I myself am a victim of the tang police. I also now have a 125g 6 foot tank for my tangs which I bought because I want the fish that badly.

I could have put one in my 55g but would that really have been fair? I mean really?

And to address the better off with you in a small tank vs. the lfs. they actually do move these fish, and rather quickly too. A few days or weeks isnt going to kill the fish but it sure is gonna be stressed. Even more reason they should go from lfs into a larger tank.

:-D

That's great that you got your 120 carey my point is most say they need 180 but I believe they would be better off in your tank or even a 75 then being bought by someone who knows nothing and puts them in a nano

Lol, I see the problem, you misread my post. MOST tangs ARE fine in a 120. I was simply stating that hippo tangs, sail fins, nasos, powders, etc... shouldn't be housed in a 120. I at no point stated all tangs need a 180 minimum. This subject is like :deadhorse: hack. lol

All I can say is I just go by what's recommended. :-D

I also wanted a blue tang but it says it should be 180g tank, so I am going with an atlantic blue tang instead. I'm no expert but I'm sure the tank sizes that are provided are there for a reason. I know the tangs don't get as big as they do in the wild, but some of them get over a foot big! Can you imagine them trying to swim and turn around? LOL

I'm just a cheap substitute tang police wanna be so don't mind me.

And you have no IDEA how lit up I get when I see someone post on here who has a blue tang, yellow tangs and other BIG fish in their 29g biocubes. i wish there was more education available at the lfs but alas, they are out to make money so no good sound advice from them.

As a matter of fact I believe I compiled a pretty large list of tangs that can thrive in a 120. Even pointed out some that can be housed in a 75 gallon.

Yep you did a fine job pure....and now this is officially over. :-D

I believe we have a build thread going on here!!

This is going to be a very nice tank I will never have any tangs in my tank but if you want one I say buy it I was not trying to make anyone mad sorry

This is going to be a very nice tank I will never have any tangs in my tank but if you want one I say buy it I was not trying to make anyone mad sorry

I'm not mad. :-D

It just seems that alot of people take the tang issue very lightly and then fish suffer. We can all agree that we dont' want to punish the fish right?

So this little debate is over. No one is mad at anyone, actually I think this was pretty educational. I've never seen a list so well put together of smaller tank tangs. Wish I had that list a month ago! LOL

carey said:
Wow after all that I think I want pictures! LOL

What did you want pics of Carey? Lol...I have been out of the loop for a bit. Just caught up on the debate. I purchased the Royal Tang knowing ahead of time that it could possibly require a bigger tank eventually, and in fact was part of my master plan. It will give an excuse to upgrade my tank later :). Same goes for my 60 gal predatory tank. I have a Lion in there and am fully aware that a 60 is too small for a full grown Lion. My plan is to move the 125 into a bigger tank and move the 60 into the 125. The guy that had this tank before me, had a Sailfin and a Vlamingi that were at the pointof being too big for the 125.
Anyway, just my .02 since I missed the majority of this debate...

LOL I always want pictures. Have you redone your rock or anything? I know my tanks are constantly changing on a weekly basis hehe

Mandarin update!
He is doing awesome...swimmin around the rocks, pickin at pods. Seems happy. The second night he was sleep swimming at the top of the tank...lol. Pretty funny.

Update....lost a clown today, not sure why. Took my water to have it tested. Ph was way low. Does anyone know if leaving the water in my car all day will affect the results? When I got home, I buffered the tank to raise the ph. I also purchased my own saltwater test kit, and then got the 2 other individual tests for the reef aspect. I'm gonna test again later tonight. Also seen some white spots on the tang and on the clown that dies. Might be ich. Started treatment just in case.
Any advice for anything?

Yes, leaving the water in the car all day will tamper with the results. Get fresh water tested, its good that you purchased a test kit for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom