Angel breeding tube?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brineshrimpdirect.com I use the economy grade. (y) Hatches in under 24 hours. Tell Victoria I sent you. ;)

Awesome, thank you Andy. When I order I will let her know you referred me.

$36??? even with the dollar exchange, shipping and duty should save me a ton. The same size can here is $125.95.

Glad to help. Just be aware, these eggs hatch at 78 degrees +/- unlike those from San Francisco that need cooler temps. But my hatch rate is at least 75% so I'm happy with this. Grade A and the other top grades are not always available which is why I go with the economy grade. I've measured the hatched amount to the amount of eggs I put in and they are pretty much equal or slighter more hatched. I also notice that I do get some late hatches if I leave the unhatched eggs in the water and just use a different bottle. But I have more than enough after 24 hours. (y)

Just tell Vicky "Andy Sager from Florida. :D " (y)

Well, I am glad I did not have high hopes for this batch of eggs. It seems like every couple hours I have more eggs turning white. I keep plucking them out, but I am down to about maybe 30% remaining.
It's a good thing they should give me another chance to get it right in a week or two.
I removed the HOB in the adult tank today I picked up a couple slate looking tiles which I will cut and place in their tank to hopefully convince them to work with me.

Also
I did find a retailer selling methylene blue. They had never heard of it being banned, who knows maybe it wasn't and it was just more bad info from lfs.
If any other Canucks need the info pm me and I will pass on the retailer info.

WooHooo! I got some wigglers....Not many maybe 15-30 hard to tell.
It has been almost exactly 72hrs since eggs were laid.

Weird part is that they are no longer attached to the filter tube. I found them on the bottom of the tank this morning, does this present any new challenges?

So at the very least I now know I have a proven fertile pair.

Correct me if I am wrong, I can now start small 10% water changes to get rid of the methylene blue?

WooHooo! I got some wigglers....Not many maybe 15-30 hard to tell.
It has been almost exactly 72hrs since eggs were laid.

Weird part is that they are no longer attached to the filter tube. I found them on the bottom of the tank this morning, does this present any new challenges?

So at the very least I now know I have a proven fertile pair.

Correct me if I am wrong, I can now start small 10% water changes to get rid of the methylene blue?

No, it doesn't matter that they are not attached. The only challenge becomes changing water with a siphon hose and not sucking them up. Just be careful. ;)
Yes, this proves they are fertile.
Yes, water changes are ok to start ( or placing a filter bag with carbon inside the tank near or on the sponge filter) and pay attention to where you get the water from ( see first remark. ;) ) Make sure you don't have too much of a temp difference between the tank and the new water. (y)

Update time, been so busy days are just flying by.

Still have about 12 free swimmers left and I am pretty sure they are all eating, but man are they small. I wasn't ready for just how small they are, it is a challenge to clean the tank of uneaten food without sucking them up.

Good practice though as I woke up to more eggs being layed. 9 days since last batch.
20150817_6589.jpg

Need to sell off some of the mbuna fry I was planning to hold onto or......more tanks, more tanks.:brows::brows:

Just curious does this set up look correct (distance from the airstone) for the eggs? Hard to see the eggs, because of course they picked the light colored tile instead of the dark grey. Not complaining though, as at least it was on the tile this time.
eggs.jpg

Looks fine to me. ;) You just want a stream of water flowing in front of, not on, the eggs. The airstone is the best way of doing this. (y)

You will find that the rigid tubing & airline tubing setup will become most valuable when the fry are small. You can direct the rigid tubing to exactly where you want to pick up the debris better than anything else. Even the T baster. (y)

Well I have wigglers again. Only had about 4 eggs turn white on me this time, but again as soon as they get to the wiggler stage they all fall off the tile. Weird:facepalm:. they all seem ok, just something I will get used to.

Well I have wigglers again. Only had about 4 eggs turn white on me this time, but again as soon as they get to the wiggler stage they all fall off the tile. Weird:facepalm:. they all seem ok, just something I will get used to.

I actually prefer that they fall off the spawning site. When you are doing it in a bare bottom tank, the fry are now safely further away from the dead eggs and potential fungus that will most likely happen to the dead eggs. It's not a bad thing at all. (y) Once they all are off the site, remove the site with the dead eggs as it serves no more purpose.(y)(y)

Frustrating:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Came home this morning and found all but 3 of my free swimmers dead.

They were free swimming for 3 days, and what I think is...they never started eating; or had a hard time with either finding the food or the size of the BBS.

I had them in a 10g and fed them BBS that were never more than 6hrs old. I would sit and watch and try to use the turkey baster and basically put the BBS in front of their faces but I never could see any orange bellies.

I have another batch of eggs right now and I think I will try to keep them in the smallest tank I have (think its a 1 or 2 gallon). Maybe keep them in it for at least the first few days to make sure they start eating.

On a positive note 7 from the first batch still eating and growing some fins and getting some color.

Frustrating:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Came home this morning and found all but 3 of my free swimmers dead.

They were free swimming for 3 days, and what I think is...they never started eating; or had a hard time with either finding the food or the size of the BBS.

I had them in a 10g and fed them BBS that were never more than 6hrs old. I would sit and watch and try to use the turkey baster and basically put the BBS in front of their faces but I never could see any orange bellies.

I have another batch of eggs right now and I think I will try to keep them in the smallest tank I have (think its a 1 or 2 gallon). Maybe keep them in it for at least the first few days to make sure they start eating.

On a positive note 7 from the first batch still eating and growing some fins and getting some color.

Yeah, 3 days sounds like starvation. 1 question: Did you rinse off the BBS in fresh water before feeding it?
There is another possibility with some of the newer strains of Angels and with very young breeders: The fry are too small to eat BBS. You may want to try to have some Java fern or moss in the fry tank and see if they pick at that. What they are actually eating is the infusoria ( tiny organisms) that are on the plants. If this is the case, you need to start either culturing infusoria or some of the other micro foods for the first week or so to get the fry to size to eat the BBS.
( Side note: If this is because the breeders are still young, as they grow more in size, so will the eggs and subsequently the fry. This is why I try not to let the Angels spawn until they are at least a year old. Everything is bigger then and easier to deal with. (y) )

Yeah, 3 days sounds like starvation. 1 question: Did you rinse off the BBS in fresh water before feeding it?
There is another possibility with some of the newer strains of Angels and with very young breeders: The fry are too small to eat BBS. You may want to try to have some Java fern or moss in the fry tank and see if they pick at that. What they are actually eating is the infusoria ( tiny organisms) that are on the plants. If this is the case, you need to start either culturing infusoria or some of the other micro foods for the first week or so to get the fry to size to eat the BBS.
( Side note: If this is because the breeders are still young, as they grow more in size, so will the eggs and subsequently the fry. This is why I try not to let the Angels spawn until they are at least a year old. Everything is bigger then and easier to deal with. (y) )

I do rinse the BBS, I use some tank water ( not sure if tap water is harmful so no point risking).
Thanks for the fern/moss tip, I was wondering if there was something smaller to try them on. I do have quite a bit of plants in my shrimp tank so maybe this batch I will through some in with them and see what happens.

My fry are really small, But then again I have nothing to compare them to so they may well be normal size.
Infusoria?? Now I have to do more Googling....My wife already says the basement looks like a science experiment gone wrong, tanks everywhere funny looking bottles bubbling away with bbs or angel eggs.

But it keeps me out of trouble.:brows:

My fry are really small, But then again I have nothing to compare them to so they may well be normal size.
Infusoria?? Now I have to do more Googling....My wife already says the basement looks like a science experiment gone wrong, tanks everywhere funny looking bottles bubbling away with bbs or angel eggs.

I rinse my BBS in prepped water.
I also offer my GBR fry microworms and /or vinegar eels.
Both are smaller then BBS believe it or not.
What's a couple more bottles/jars in the lab,I mean fishroom,I mean basement?:lol:
Java moss in every breeder tank,yes!

I do rinse the BBS, I use some tank water ( not sure if tap water is harmful so no point risking).
Thanks for the fern/moss tip, I was wondering if there was something smaller to try them on. I do have quite a bit of plants in my shrimp tank so maybe this batch I will through some in with them and see what happens.

If the fishroom ( basement) looks like a science lab, you are doing it right. (y) You can tell the Mrs I said so. :brows: :whistle:

Angelfish fry ARE small but believe it or not, there are some that are too small for BBS. When you breed Tetras and Barbs, etc., those fry need infusoria first just to get them large enough to be able to eat newly hatched shrimp. :eek: As I said previously, "Normal" Angelfish fry should be able to handle them from the beginning but today's fish are far from "Normal."

As for the plants, I find the bunch plants ( ie Anacharis, hornwort, java moss) do better for the fry than the solid big leaf types ( ie sword plants). As for moving the fry into the shrimp tank, I wouldn't. Try not to move them for the first 21-30 days if at all possible.

Good luck and keep us posted (y)

If the fishroom ( basement) looks like a science lab, you are doing it right. (y) You can tell the Mrs I said so. :brows: :whistle:

Angelfish fry ARE small but believe it or not, there are some that are too small for BBS. When you breed Tetras and Barbs, etc., those fry need infusoria first just to get them large enough to be able to eat newly hatched shrimp. :eek: As I said previously, "Normal" Angelfish fry should be able to handle them from the beginning but today's fish are far from "Normal."

As for the plants, I find the bunch plants ( ie Anacharis, hornwort, java moss) do better for the fry than the solid big leaf types ( ie sword plants). As for moving the fry into the shrimp tank, I wouldn't. Try not to move them for the first 21-30 days if at all possible.

Good luck and keep us posted (y)

LOL
I re-read my post and can see how you read it. What I meant to say is...I may try putting some plant material from my shrimp tank in the fry tank.

I am using a tupperware juice type jug for the eggs/wigglers would you leave them as free swimmers in that container for 21-30 days? Pretty sure I read that you move your fry just after free swimming.
My plan was to move them once free swimming (should be tomorrow night) into the 1or 2 gallon tank, add some plant matter and small sponge filter.

IMO you want to put them in a 5or a 10.
A 10 can be filled only part way and then you can increase the volume over the first month without moving them yet making food easy to find in the early weeks and allowing them to grow into deeper water over last couple weeks.
Then after first month or so they can be moved to larger tank for official growout.

IMO you want to put them in a 5or a 10.
A 10 can be filled only part way and then you can increase the volume over the first month without moving them yet making food easy to find in the early weeks and allowing them to grow into deeper water over last couple weeks.
Then after first month or so they can be moved to larger tank for official growout.

I don't have a 5g, only 10g. I will try with it half full and with some plants.
See if that helps the little buggers find something to eat.

BBS suck I tried lot of times, best advice go Microsoft easy to cultivate and millions of worms per feed and they live couple days and wriggle so they lure the fry

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

BBS suck I tried lot of times, best advice go Microsoft easy to cultivate and millions of worms per feed and they live couple days and wriggle so they lure the fry

I tend to prefer to feed my fry Apple, it's the most user friendly fry food :ROFLMAO:

Following for more information for future angel breeding endeavors :)

**** autocorrect strikes again:)

Assuming you meant microworms?
I am looking into getting a culture (joining local aquarium society next week).
But I have to admit, I am a bit squeemish about the whole worm thing. I will put my heeby geebies aside if it means one more possible option to keep the little buggers alive.

I do have a batch of very new free swimmers right now that I added a small quantity of ricci moss and a small bit of a java fern to their tank. I cannot tell if they are feeding off of it yet but they do seem to be congregating among the moss most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom