Cory Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I need some help FAST. I literally just found some Cory eggs in my 12g tank. They are spread out all over the tank, stuck to the glass. I reckon about 25-30 total, in clusters.
Anyway I have NO clue about hatcheting these. I have 4 cory's in the tank and had no intention of breeding. They have been in there about 2-3 months and this is the first time I noticed these. Can someone help me. Will the other cory's eat the eggs/fry when they hatch. Should I put the Cory's into my other tank and leave just the eggs in the 12g. I had done nothing different for them to spawn, in fact, I missed last weeks water change so I need to do one tomorrow.
Any help welcome.....

Last edited:
I don't know about other people's Cory's, but mine ate there eggs the first time around. So the second time I scrapped them off the glass gently with a razor blade ad put them into another tank with a filter (put the end of a stocking over the intake. And added a bubbler to where the eggs were sitting. This is just my experience with them and it worked out great. Best of luck!

I don't know about other people's Cory's, but mine ate there eggs the first time around. So the second time I scrapped them off the glass gently with a razor blade ad put them into another tank with a filter (put the end of a stocking over the intake. And added a bubbler to where the eggs were sitting. This is just my experience with them and it worked out great. Best of luck!
I don't have another tank and it's not a possibility either-girlfriend!!. Could I put the eggs in a plastic breeder box??

I don't really see a problem with that. Never used one before tho. I'd just make sure you have a bubbler next to the eggs so they don't get moldy

I don't really see a problem with that. Never used one before tho. I'd just make sure you have a bubbler next to the eggs so they don't get moldy
Does the bubbler have to under the eggs or just beside them. Also, how long does it take for the eggs to hatch and what do I feed them??. I really have no clue, i'm more used to raising livebearer fry!!

I don't have another tank and it's not a possibility either-girlfriend!!. Could I put the eggs in a plastic breeder box??

Yes but keep them in the flow of the filter otherwise they'll develop fungus. A 5g bucket with an airstone should suffice. I would buy methylene blue to prevent fungus growing. I've heard not to do that in the community tank because it turns the water blue and might kill plants?

Yes but keep them in the flow of the filter otherwise they'll develop fungus. A 5g bucket with an airstone should suffice. I would buy methylene blue to prevent fungus growing. I've heard not to do that in the community tank because it turns the water blue and might kill plants?
Would I just use enough dosage of M. Blue for the 5g. Also what about a heater??

I'd just leave them be, good chance they start laying regularly at which point you have quite a few fry allowing for losses. Make sure you cover your filter inlet if its got large grills - fry tend to be sucked in. You might also find that the eggs have not been fertilised. My Cory's go on an egg bender every time I water change and clean the glass - just to undo clean tank.

I'd just leave them be, good chance they start laying regularly at which point you have quite a few fry allowing for losses. Make sure you cover your filter inlet if its got large grills - fry tend to be sucked in. You might also find that the eggs have not been fertilised. My Cory's go on an egg bender every time I water change and clean the glass - just to undo clean tank.
I have a fluval sponge over my HOB intake. They(eggs) are all stuck at the top of the glass. Will they be ok as I have to change 50% water which will lower the water level below the eggs. Will they be ok for a few mins until I refill it. What about the other post about needing M. Blue and a bubbler. Once and if they hatch, would the other cory's still eat the fry. I had the same cory's in with newly born fry and they didn't bother with them. In fact they were eating off the same block of gel food, no problems.....

You can roll the eggs down the glass with your finger, I usually move a few into the plants for some cover - sticky little things. I never use any meds for Cory eggs as I never seem to have a problem with them, unlike Ram eggs.

Back
Top Bottom