GBR(Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) breeding help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HEY!!!!!! :^O I did it before so why can't I do it again.? I just need more help cause I ain't as young as I once was and don't have the energy I used to. :whistle: ;)
I would be by your side in Fla if not grounded in NY!
Mrs .Bandit would love me even more if we moved!
Together we might get half of it done??:facepalm::nono:
Saddest part for me up North is I have a 'new' outbuilding that a breeder would love to use and hate to heat!
30 x50 perfect slab with pex tubing for radiant!
I am bending metal in it for now(work sucks!) but in a couple more years??????

I would be by your side in Fla if not grounded in NY!
Mrs .Bandit would love me even more if we moved!
Together we might get half of it done??:facepalm::nono:
Saddest part for me up North is I have a 'new' outbuilding that a breeder would love to use and hate to heat!
30 x50 perfect slab with pex tubing for radiant!
I am bending metal in it for now(work sucks!) but in a couple more years??????

So bend some metal and sell Angle Iron Stands too. :whistle: They are always in demand somewhere. :brows:(y) :D

Hmmm.... maybe there is something to combining forces. Lord knows if i could make this a job i would. In a heartbeat.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So bend some metal and sell Angle Iron Stands too. :whistle: They are always in demand somewhere. :brows:(y) :D
Not that type of metal!!
I will post pics when site works right!
But yet another avenue possibly:whistle:.
Hmmm.... maybe there is something to combining forces. Lord knows if i could make this a job i would. In a heartbeat.

Always better when working together!
My best accomplishments had people working with me,not for me!
Quality people combined is a rare commodity these days!

Not that type of metal!!
I will post pics when site works right!
But yet another avenue possibly:whistle:.

Always better when working together!
My best accomplishments had people working with me,not for me!
Quality people combined is a rare commodity these days!

I've been there, done that.....for over 40 years. :whistle: I know what it takes. ;) Just let me know when (y)

You'd be surprised what comes from one idea or a side thought. My former neighbor's uncle was a chicken farmer when he was little. He told me his idea was to sell chickens and eggs. Turned out making a ton of money selling the chicken poo. Not the original plan but definitely the original goal. ;) (y) Just sayin' :whistle:

Just got in and fed them!
They seem fine and still a good number.
Pulled another pot from your Jayhawks with wigglers to another 10 this am.
They also look fine this evening!
Through species only or breeding tanks I have done my finest QT work!
All 8 of them still in their own 40b with 2 solid pairs formed !
Soon I need move the other 4 or at least 2 to attempt the mix with mine direct.
I of will mix future fry , but to be sure I get a cross from the adults here also I would like see the cross.
Last year when I got my 10 from yunite I just added them to 12-14 of mine and never really new for sure who crossed with who(kind of disappointed in myself on that call),so I have tried to cross fry when I got more then one set close in age.
With yours giving me 2 good pair I want to move the others soon and see.
I have a nice set of 8(as big or even bigger"I think are beastmaster cyblings?") in a 33 long that has I think 5 males and 3 females?
One pair is laying eggs right now on an algae covered log!
And some AWESOME looking whatever they are in the Yellow tank(still never mixed,but several pairs pulled into breeders).
Those three groups could form a nice group 8-10 and see who pairs!!
Got an empty 40b.......(well not empty..just no fish in it!)

How are yours doing???

I like your Thinkin on that. Are you gonna log your blood line crosses? Mine are doing well. Theyre startin to look like lil Rams. Theyre pretty darned active. They get jumpy when i first come in the room, but warm up fast. Looks like abt 40 of them. So abt a 50% survival rate from what hatched. Not too shabby, but I'd like to get better hatch rates as well.

I'm not sure after mixing I will be able to tell who pairs?

I hope mine get big enough not to worry about the first couple weeks!

I am hopeful with this group!

Are you still auto feeding the fry through the day?

Not his batch as that would cause me to change water!
I am on minimum water changes.
Feeding only 2-3 times max during the week do to work load.
I use the auto feeder for my feedings just to install it slower and better IMO.

I need a group of fems.... how much would it cost me? Somehow I've got 4m - 1f now. I think the 2 yellows were both male and my 4yr old fem finally kicked the bucket. Need to fix the ratio man.

Your the best, brother. Thank you.

I get by with a little help from my friends!

You guys are the best!
Trading in more GBR today but holding girls for Poppa!

I think in all honesty that the water has been the issue behind bad eggs for me recently.
I have been re mineralizing very lightly and have had 4 sets of eggs that are all good in the last week!

Wigglers right now in a pot by themselves in a 10.

Fry in the other 10 are well but not in large numbers(maybe over 20 still?).
Ammonia definitely registered this am on this tank so waterchange and prime used.
We will see how this goes and I really should have some more room to better formulate my path forward.

Well Poppas Jayhawks have spawned again (on the silicone) in the 40B!:facepalm:
These two are solid pair as I believe this is their third time for me!:dance:
I have never followed the rules completely but my passion and patience for these guys has "let me" keep them isolated from all others still!
My longest QT unless we count species only tanks that are permanent QTS IMO?:oops:
I think I should move the other 6 today and see how the hatch turns out?

Gillie mentioned temp or water parameters having influence on sex of fry in another thread,so I wonder how to skew this intentionally?
It has been found that both temp and water hardness can skew ratios one way or the other.
I kind of think the yellow rams were a result of the water hardness,lack of or the make up of my remineralising and think many of them turned out to be huge males.

I screw with getting my water the way I want I think enough already so maybe lowering the temp?
I keep my rams @ 82-84 in all tanks.
I am thinking that 50-80 TDS is the magic range as I have not had a bad batch of eggs since lowering from 120-140.
I use ;calcium chloride(kent turbo calcium),baking soda,epsom salt to remineralise my ro water.

I mentioned that one of the LFS in my area is loaded with females and said they can't get males from their supplier(segrest farms).
Is Fla. water really that different?
I find it hard to believe they(segrest) put any special effort forward in their breeding(if they even breed their own).

Also as mentioned I believe I got the water better now and have a tray of eggs ready to be pulled from a pair I was ready to add back to community group for 'lack of action'!
Their first spawn I believe(in breeding tank) and they are being champion parents taking turns tending the eggs.

I just need to pull eggs until I have enough fry to let a pair try to raise the fry,even to free swimming.
This method used to work so good for me but has not ended well for free swimmers in some time.
For now I will keep practicing the artificial hatch method.

My lfs told me that their wholesaler who is probably Seagrest won't send them female black Moscow guppies. I have that market cornered. I'm breeding them specifically to sell to the lfs. I've also heard that wholesalers hold back female scarlet badis. So what do they do with all these fish then? Destroy them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Im glad to see the rams are being prolific for you. I cant wait to see these females your sending. How many batches of artificial do you have rolling now?

My lfs told me that their wholesaler who is probably Seagrest won't send them female black Moscow guppies. I have that market cornered. I'm breeding them specifically to sell to the lfs. I've also heard that wholesalers hold back female scarlet badis. So what do they do with all these fish then? Destroy them?

I believe the same for most dwarf gouramis also.
Most are males..
I believe they keep the gouramis due to DGIV and they can't keep stock alive long either!!!
As for other fish I have no idea what they do with them?
Maybe they send males to west coast and females to east?
The farms are serious business and do not want to help anyone with breeding IMO.

Im glad to see the rams are being prolific for you. I cant wait to see these females your sending. How many batches of artificial do you have rolling now?

1 set of wigglers (in pot about to be free swimming today I believe)and 1 set of eggs on tray(pot bottom) now besides the eggs in the 40b with your jayhawks.
Add a good sized batch of free swimmers just pulled(11am) from the Jayhawk tank and the wigglers are free swimming!
Added the free swimmers from 40b to the free swimmers in 10g.
Looking pretty crowded!
I should add I picked up hikari first bites yesterday also.
I'll add on a 'total guess' that my water changes yesterday have perked 2 other pair at least that appear to ready to lay anytime...:whistle:

Couple sets of eggs were eaten this week as I waited too long to se if they were fertile and remove them.:facepalm:

Have you used Hikari first bites before? I use it at times for various egg laying fish fry.

Back
Top Bottom