GBR(Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) breeding help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes n no. Ill see if i can transfer what you need to you. Dont spend money. They wrote these to spread info anyways. Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Never pulled all the fish so this am I syphoned out the free swimmers from the 40b with Poppas Jayhawks!
Syphoning doesn't always go well but we will see.
Definitely a full hatch for these guys and probably in the 200 range on free swimmers.
Placed in 10g with MB.
Fingers crossed!

If the fry are free swimming, you shouldn't need/ use the M. Blue. There are reports on Angelfish that M. Blue exposure does have an effect on the swim bladder growth and inflation causing belly sliders. The recommended timeframe for exposure is under 24 hours once the eggs hatch. This is why I add carbon bags to my egg tanks once they hatch. It doesn't seem to harm the eggs or the embryos. It should be the same for Rams as for the Angels.
You can read this here: 'Belly sliders' caused by egg disinfectants, says study | News | Practical Fishkeeping

Hope this helps. (y)

Adding carbon now!
Water isn't very blue as I discussed with Poppa about letting it fade and not making lots of water changes,after the eggs hatched.
It does still have some color though so I appreciate the info Andy!(y)
Bag in and small water change made,along with feeding!

Good info Andy. I haven't had issues with it causing belly sliders but i will definitely keep my eyes more open now.

If this applies to corys it does explain some thing with my last cory spawn that didn't make it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

May explain the cories. May not. Won't know for sure until its tried. This is great advice, but like i said, i havent had the belly sliders from it. But i also use a strong MB dip for the eggs before they go in the hatch tank. That way the MB use in the hatch tank is minimal. But honestly i dont measure my MB when dosing either.

If this applies to corys it does explain some thing with my last cory spawn that didn't make it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For no good reason(or proof) I would think the cories to be one of the most sensitive fry to MB while young do to O2 depletion.
Cories are considered labarynth??I believe.

I don't use MB with my pearls as those eggs never have the same issue,but would think it would be issue for them also if I did.

I was pulling eggs, adding 1 drop of MB to prevent fungus which is always an issue for me but I wasn't taking it out of the water before they hatched. I did notice they didn't develope on the right timeline and never made it off the floor of the container.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

As I said, this was new info to me as I have always removed the M. blue once the eggs hatched so I've never had this issue before. My friend goes to more extremes and does a 50% water change on his egg jars the day before they should hatch then changes 20% daily until the fry get put into the grow out tanks as free swimmers. ( recently, I've been having more dead eggs the day after a water change so i try not to do them until the eggs hatch.) I was looking at possible issues with bacteria in my hatching tanks and was going to leave the M. Blue there until free swimming when I came upon that article. :eek: Going back to my usual now. :lol: Keep in mind, I did have a successful spawning, hatch and free swim with this last 1/2 black spawn. I have another one from them today so we will see if this continues. This time, I used the same slate for them as before and the only difference will be using the 2 1/2 gal to hatch them out vs the 1/2 filled 10 gal tank. So we will see.

I've decided to try my new cory eggs with nothing to see how they do. Since they are now in a bucket, I can see when/if they turn white and can just remove the dead eggs as necessary. I have 2 cut down 20 gal longs ( only 6" high) that I will start the cory fry in to get them going ( if they get that far. :whistle: I don't take anything for granted these days. :nono:) Again, we will see. ;)

I truly have had better success using it, and using small WCs to diminish its percentages. Does anyone know if there is a shelf life on its effects once added to water?

The effect mentioned in the article I believe is to be noted after the fry has grown.
I have seen this too many times in juvi/adults I have raised without MB at all!

I actually have 2 small(very yellow looking) gbr in my 55(aprox4-5 months) that are never off bottom.
They are not well fish.:ermm:

I have also seen adults do the same.
Some after a full year of good life and health?:confused:

It is clearly not a contagious issue so I try to keep them for observation.:flowers:
Before I feed them to Mr. grouper or eel!:eek:

The article is definitely describing what I see with out MB over time.
Mind you this is a very small percent but odd only some out of whole breed of fry?

For no good reason(or proof) I would think the cories to be one of the most sensitive fry to MB while young do to O2 depletion.
Cories are considered labarynth??I believe.

I don't use MB with my pearls as those eggs never have the same issue,but would think it would be issue for them also if I did.

I only use M. Blue on a few types of fish. I wouldn't be using this on Gourami or bettas and the like but cichlids and cats I do/did. Since anabantid males usually hatch out the eggs, they also pull the bad eggs to keep the rest safe. This would just be for fish that you are trying to artificially hatch the eggs. I know the corys I have now were exposed to M. Blue as eggs so we will see what happens. :whistle:

I think you all have just solved my major malfunction

I really need to pull my orange lasers and breed them!
That is why I got them to begin with!
They sell for more then a pair of GBR at my LFS!!
They look like 'minis' next to my clowns in the 180!
They bump and hang out together!!:eek:

Digging the input from everyone!!!(y)(y)(y)(y)

sorry but,
4 fools trying to make money breeding fish!:rolleyes:
God I love this hobby and you 3!:thanks:

I have a bad time with the orange lasers. I purchased 4 originally from a breeder at a swap. 6 months later I lose a male. They hide all the time literally unless lights out. So I bought 10 new from a breeder last month and they don't hide at all. I'm waiting obviously for qt reasons to combine but none of them have bred for me even though they are mixed sexes.

The Lfs I sell to was retailing for $20 a fish but their wholesale price went up so they quit carrying them. So they would be a good money maker for me as well.

The effect mentioned in the article I believe is to be noted after the fry has grown.
I have seen this too many times in juvi/adults I have raised without MB at all!

I actually have 2 small(very yellow looking) gbr in my 55(aprox4-5 months) that are never off bottom.
They are not well fish.:ermm:

I have also seen adults do the same.
Some after a full year of good life and health?:confused:

It is clearly not a contagious issue so I try to keep them for observation.:flowers:
Before I feed them to Mr. grouper or eel!:eek:

The article is definitely describing what I see with out MB over time.
Mind you this is a very small percent but odd only some out of whole breed of fry?

Keep in mind that more than just one thing can effect the swim bladder of a fish and if you are seeing this in older fish, other causes should be investigated. I believe the article was talking about non inflation of the swim bladder in fry not as a long term effect on them as adults. I also noticed that in the case of hydrogen peroxide and acriflavin, they noted a higher incidence of non inflation but there was non inflation also in the control group as well so the chemical only exasserbated the issue, not cause it since it occurred in the control group. There was no instance of non inflation with M. Blue control group. Does that mean the fish they used in the 3 experiments were not the same pair? Could 2 of those pairs just make sucky babies and the 2 chemicals made them suckier? :whistle: Who knows.

To address Poppa's question about shelf life after exposure, I don't think it has a lingering effect which is why the fry exposed to it less than 24 hours didn't have any issues so once it's gone from the water, it's as if it was never there (opposed to other chemicals). (y)

Back
Top Bottom