Green water for betta fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been planning on breeding bettas for a while but I wasn't sure how to feed the fry. Last night it occurred to me that I have a constant source of green water. Would this be a good food source for the fry?

Google it. I read microworms are best. There's also website Bettafish.com maybe they can answer best.

This has been a decades old question with 2 schools of thought: Infusoria ( green water) vs newly hatched Brine Shrimp. Personally, I use a live plant/ lettuce base for nest building which creates a small culture of infusoria right into the tank. After 1 day of the free swimming fry eating this, I start using newly hatched brine shrimp. My thoughts for doing this are since the larger fry generally are big enough for newly hatched brine shrimp from the beginning of the free swimming stage, the smaller fry ( which may be too small for this larger food) will have a choice of foods to eat and grow on.
Bottom line, I've had many larger quantities of fry by doing this "multi food" method even though I also have had decent sized amounts of fry with just doing the newly hatched brine shrimp alone. So dealer's choice on feeding ;)

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom