Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Killifish help !

About 1 month ago I received some killifish eggs and around 25 - 30 eggs hatched. I have them separated in a floating encasement in my 30 gallon tank but I don't think they are growing very well feeding them brine shrimp. They are around 7 weeks old and still microscopic. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with killifish because I have no idea as this is my first time with them. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I breed golden wonders. The fry are very slow growing and I only notice growth after a few weeks. Are the brine shrimp live? You can tell when they are eating because their tummy will get orange and it will look like they ate a tiny ball. Then again golden wonder fry happen to be bigger than some other killifish. But other wise they are slow growers from my observations.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I hatch the brine shrimp in salty water and feed them as soon as they hatch so they have the best chance of fitting the shrimp in their tiny mouths. They are around 8 weeks old now and still really tiny you have to look hard to see them !
Old 02-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Do you have any live plants in with the fry? If not, you should consider adding some java moss or similar. Plants not only provide cover, which is important for killies, but also encourage the growth of microorganisms which will provide a supplementary diet between bbs feedings. It would be best to use plants from a healthy mature aquarium because these will already carry the microorganisms and will be less likely to introduce disease into your fry tank.

In my experience killifish are fast growers. But there are so many different species, you have to expect variation in growth rate.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes i agree with hal.lc and plants would be a very good idea to add

Tags
killifish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com