Please help, Corys laying eggs ringht now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sandie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've only bread live bearers so any advice would be very helpful. I don't know what to do with them exactly.

You have to pull them out or once they hatch, they will be eaten. I put mine in a hang on marina breeder box with some cherry shrimp to keep the eggs clean. The will fungus if you just put them in a container. Mine usual hatch 5-7 days later and then they live off the egg sac for 2 days. I feed them micro worms for a couple week and the move the fry to a 5 gallon grow out tank

Update, took all he eggs that I could find... Put in a clean and well rinsed food container with meth blue. Drilled holes in the lid for airstone and venting and floated it in the tank. That's all I know about the process being my first time with them. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated as well. I'll keep looking online for info too. I don't even know how long til they start swimming lol
Thanks for reading

You will need some micro worms or small food for them approx. 2 days after they hatch. I use micro worms because they live for about 48 hours under water so there's a constant food source available

Thanks for replying!
I only have Amano shrimp, no cherrys... Lfs closed already being Sunday. I will try to get some tonight from a friends tank. If I can't get them today will it be too late tomorrow? and put them in my marineland HOB box too... Love them. Also, I have hikari baby bites powder fry food, would that be good for them when they finish their egg sacs?

Thanks again Fdsh5, I will look into getting some... I don't use any live food right now but I'm willing to it that's what they need. And it looks like I may be able to get some cherry shrimp from my friend later so that should help. Do I still use the meth blue with shrimp in there? And do I feed the shrimp when they are in there with the eggs?

Oh, lol... I just realized that you know my friend that I'm getting the cherrys from tonight... Brandon. He's working right now.
So technically I'm getting decedents of your shrimp hehe

You won't need the shrimp with the methylene blue. Just make sure there is water movement and it'll be okay. I've only used micro worms so I'm not sure if they'll take anything else. The reason I use microworms is a fish's natural instinct is to eat things that wiggle

Ok, thx. In the future I would rather use the cherry shrimp with tank water in a breeder box or net, with airstone instead of meth blue so I know they are getting fresh water constantly. For now, How often should I change the water in my floating container?
It's a real pain, and messy to keep removing the container to add more eggs, then float it, then repeat, repeat, repeat... Lol. I can't believe how many she is popping out. When will they stop??? Lol

How long until I will be able to see a sign that they are alive/viable? Like the eyes growing or something.
Oh, and how often should I change the water and meth blue in the floating container with the eggs? Should I use tank water or tap with dechlorinator?

Sandie aslong as your water parameters are pristine minimum just good quality should be fine just remember your water has exceptionally low ph best less than 6.8 and if you want, get some almond leaves or catappa leaves and add to the tank help at lowering ph and noticed they help to breed many fish i just know this cause my otocinclus might lay eggs soon and i got some catappa leaves to help them

I would use tank water when you change it. After 3 or 4 days you'll see something in the eggs

Thanks Preyas1207, Fdsh5 and DelFisherman... I really appreciate you sharing your experiences. I feel a lot better getting tips and tricks here from real hobbyists rather than spending hours upon hours reading garbage from websites... Lol. I can't be sure since this is my first time with eggs, however it seems that all are getting small dark spots inside them, and some are starting to look a bit elongated. None have fungus and none have turned white. Only one or two still look clear but hard to tell. Just did fresh water with meth blue and planning to get the leaves and check where to find the micro worms locally. Guess I'll wait til they hatch before buying any live food. Hikari first bites powder fry food will have to do for the first hatchling... Lol.

sandy instead of doing hikari first bites i might suggest taking your sinking wafers and leaving them in water for now until your fry hatch after their yolk sac is absorbed drop the remains of the wafer and drop to the bottom of the tank try to keep the adults away with fresh sinkers so that the fry can get the sinking bits(tip drop it with your hand in the water near them) because since their bottom feeders and actually quite heavy for their size it would be a bit of trouble swimming to the top every few hours since fry require a bit more feedings i beleive.Just a question do the hikari bites float?Im guessing they do.
BTW thanks for the nice words about me and the others see even though im slightly experienced we all have our downsides like for me only a year ago i had a HUGE mistake of just putting neon tets in an UNCYCLED freshly new water tank :banghead::banghead::banghead::hide: well its been nice helping you and you helped me a bit :thanks: plz send me a message and maybe a pic of the fry if they hatch thanks bye!

Hi Sandie
What are your water perimeters? Every thing I have read, says lower temp, and feed 4 times a day. So how did you get them to breed? Thanks and good luck!!!!

I've had a good few batches of corys and i put the eggs in a breeder box in my tank then once hatched i feed them baby flakes ... yes they do float so i hold them in the water and slowly release it and it sinks . works a treat I've never fed live food as it's pretty impossible to get anything here ! I've some at almost 4 weeks and some just hatched today.. the 4 week old were put in a 25litre nursery tank at a few days old and thrive .. the new babies might have to stay in the breeder box until big enough to join their brothers and sisters in the 25litre..
i never save all the eggs just a few that way i can keep some and give some to friends without being totally over run..

have fun they are super cute babies this is one of my 4 week old ones. he's about 1.5 to 2 cm .

ForumRunner_20140219_122459.jpg

Back
Top Bottom