When should i expect fry???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did take her out she didn't seem happy. I am just getting a bit impatient waiting on these girls to have their little ones!! Some days I am tempted to ask the dr for some pitocin and put a couple drops in with their food to get things going lol! J/K

My blue platy Momma took forever to drop her fry. I was the same with the breeder. I put her in but took her back out because she seemed stressed. I ended up buying a tank divider for about $17. I moved her to the empty side with a couple of plants and she had her babies that night. Good luck! It will happen!! (y)

I did take her out she didn't seem happy. I am just getting a bit impatient waiting on these girls to have their little ones!! Some days I am tempted to ask the dr for some pitocin and put a couple drops in with their food to get things going lol! J/K

LOL!! Or slip in a little castor oil :D j/k

I also agree with Angela, the tank divider works really well. :) it'll happen soon, she cant stay pregnant forever :D

Tasha said:
LOL!! Or slip in a little castor oil :D j/k

I also agree with Angela, the tank divider works really well. :) it'll happen soon, she cant stay pregnant forever :D

Lmao don't tempt me! lol J/K I am thinking they must have been only a week or less prego when I got them since I have had the 3 weeks and they still haven't dropped. I have a third little girl that I think may be prego now cause I have noticed her gravid spot getting a little dark in the last couple days. How far along are they when the spot gets dark? Also after they have a batch of fry does the spot go away until the next pregnancy? Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to learn as I go here so I am not expecting them to have fry if they aren't prego or not be prepared for the fry if they are prego. (If that made sence)

it depends on the type of fish IMO. Guppies have a much more obvious gravid spot when pregnant than my mollies. My mollies some get a darker belly in the gravid area some, get almost see through and I can see round eggs, same as the guppies I guess but yet different.

Im fairly new at this as well... sadly I had some camallanus worm infestations and had to euthanize my whole tank, so the batches of fry I have had arent from repeat mothers...

OMG these darn fish!!!! I just did my normal pwc only I took out my plants and everything to do a real good vaccum of the gravel and guess what!?!?!? There was one lonely little fry swimming in my tank, must be a sole survivor because there were no others and it is about twice the size of the one from my QT that was born last week. Grrrr I have been watching and waiting and they are just too sneaky but I know the mickey mouse hasn't dropped hers yet she is still quite fat, of course so is the spotted one but the baby is spotted and kinda blue too so I am assuming it is hers. I am so frustrated right now I really would like to come out to my tank like so many of you have one morning and have about 30 little fry in there (and actually see them before they become the lunch buffett)

oh no!! That is so common with livebearers though. I watched my guppy have babies the other day and I saw only 1 two days ago and cant find any since, havent had much time to just look today yet though. that and they do hide VERY well. Mine love the gravel, so I avoid gravel vac's during end of pregnancy and newborn stage.

((((Sorry))) keep with it, it'll happen eventually :)

Sooo I do believe I missed the fry again lol I so suck at this whole birthing thing!! But I also believe they are expecting again, they seem to be getting fat again and they have a huge gravid spot, although the gravid spot never went away they just got skinnier all of a sudden. Here are some pics of them and my red wag who never shows a gravid spot but is the mother of one of my fry, any idea why I don't see the spot on her?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110518_203842.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_203842.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 70
  • ForumRunner_20110518_203940.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_203940.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 85
  • ForumRunner_20110518_204011.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_204011.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 75
  • ForumRunner_20110518_204104.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_204104.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 82
  • ForumRunner_20110518_204204.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_204204.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 81
Here are a cpl more pics they are not tht good but can anyone tell from them if the girls are squared off? I never thought they were before really but they must have been at some point. So I am not exactly sure if I fully understand how they are supposed to look.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110518_204648.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_204648.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 77
  • ForumRunner_20110518_204716.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_204716.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 74
  • ForumRunner_20110518_204748.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_204748.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 65
Talk about PERFECT timing!!!! Last night I decided to move my biggest prego platy to the fry tank because she was looking pretty huge compared to normal all of a sudden, and FINALLY, got up this morning to at least 15 fry that we can see, they are so tiny and are the same color as the gravel which makes it incredibly hard to see them so who knows how many are really in there. I was like a nervous momma last night around 1am I woke up and had to come flip the light on to check on her and noticed all of her black speckled spots on her body looked like they had faded almost and her rib cage almost looked white which was really odd and I was freaking out I thought she had burned herself (is that even possible lol) on the heater cause she was sitting between the heater and the glass when I saw her, but I am thinking this must have been due to labor or something because this evening her speckles are all back to normal and she is her usual blueish gray color. Anyway this has been a very exciting day at our house, my husban and two daughters and myself were all huddled around the fry tank watching to see the little bitties move around and go after their food for about an hour! This is sooo awesome!! Well worth all the frustration and waiting we have been through so far!!

Congratulations! :D so happy for you :)
About her being really pale, my fish are always pale if they've had the light off at night an I switch the light back on at night. They always seem to lose their colour in the dark. I don't know why.

YEAH!!! Congrats to you! Sometimes i'll have a momma who is a little under the weather after delivery, other mommas hardly skip a beat :) How fun for you, also your orange fish you were wondering about the gravid spot, Some fish it isnt noticable until well through, others I find dont show one at all... depends on the fish, (well for my mollies anyways) all my guppies have a gravid spot...

Does anyone know what determines the color of the fry? So far all of my fry have been the color of the mother, do they ever get their color from their father? (My male is orange and my female is blue)

Yes they can definatley get color from the father. When there young it can be really hard to tell what color they will be. If you find some darker shade than others they might be the ones to turn blue, the lighter the shade will possible be the orange. :) The older they get the more color they start taking on...

Back
Top Bottom