When should i expect fry???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shammond15731

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just added a few female platy to my tank and two of them appear prego! I have never had prego fish and am not sure by looking when I should expect the babies to arrive. Any ideas? Here are a few pics of them the best they would let me get.

Attachments

• 2011-04-17_18-49-18_302.jpg
    2011-04-17_18-49-18_302.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 2011-04-17_18-49-24_45.jpg
    2011-04-17_18-49-24_45.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 112
  • ForumRunner_20110417_190236.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110417_190236.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 104
I say, you should expect fry from 2-3 weeks. Have a lot of plants or a spawn mop if your planning on keeping the fry.

Ok that gives me a little time to prepare for them I will probably end up losing quite a few because I won't have another tank cycled by then so I will have to get plants for them and pray for the best. Both of the girls in the pics are prego and look about the same so between the two hopefully I will end up with some survivors. Thanks for giving me an idea when to be expecting!

Ok the plants I can do no problem, however is the spawn mop something I can buy or is it something I will have to make because when I googled the only thing I keep seeing is how to make one. It seems easy enough but if I can buy one that is even easier! Lol

INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE A SPAWN MOP.

1. Buy the yarn.
2. Cut a few pieces of yarn off.
3. Tie all of the strings of yarn together.
4. Place in aquarium.

This is the way I/MYSELF was taught.

I also read to tie a piece of cork to it so it will float, do I need to do that or will it float on its own. And do I want it to float if I have plent plants floating?

I suggest staying away from spawn mops, when I was into live bearers, I made one and the strings kind of began to tear due to the water and I had nasty little strings around my aquarium. I say just use plants to be safe.

I suggest staying away from spawn mops, when I was into live bearers, I made one and the strings kind of began to tear due to the water and I had nasty little strings around my aquarium. I say just use plants to be safe.

That's a good point.

Will do!! I am getting pretty excited! I swear I can see my girls getting fatter each day, probably my imagination but they sure r looking like chubbers compared to the rest: :) Going tomorrow to get my plants.

That's great. Even if you don't end up getting a lot, the majority will survive. (depending on how much fish you have in the tank) I remember having 2 female swordtails, 1 male, a rainbow shark, and 2 angelfish and 1 fry hid behind my submersible heater and lived. (this was when I had no plants) so you'll do fine.

I have 5 glowlight tetras, 5 bloodfin tetras, 7 platys, 4 golden calico barbs, 1 glo fish (he thinks he is a bloodfin though). Not sure how many fry will survive in there but we will see!

Yeah a good amount will survive if you get those plants. Try to put them in the corners. This way the fish searching for them will only be able to check from one size. (if that makes sense) lol

Back
Top Bottom