When should i expect fry???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think I understand that? :/ the plants will float right? So how will I keep them in the corners? (Not being sarcastic if it comes across like that way just confused)

It doesn't really matter, it just worked for me when I kept them in the corners. This way they hide against the glass and inside the plant. (I don't know how to explain it lol) I placed them against the flow so it was forced to stay in the corner. (just regard what I said it's not of true importance)

Ok now that makes sence to me lol and that would work great in my tank because my fish seem to stay at the oposite end from the filter flow so it should be even safer for the fry!

My venture to get live floating plants hasn't turned out quite as I had hoped. :( My lfs did not have any floating plants for at least another week, and I don't want to end up having my fry come before the plants so he talked me into some plastic floating plants. :( personally I think they look hideous as they aren't floating very well and hang half way to the bottom of my tank. Here is a pic of what I have, please tell me if it is ok or if I should throw them out and search further for other plants, I am feeling a bit discouraged today! :(

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110421_160015.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110421_160015.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 88
If you can't get floating plants, soft fuzzy plants like cabomba planted into the substrate work just as well. I bought cabomba because I liked the look of it, but my guppy fry all hide in it. When I had mollies and no plants, 2 fry survived. When I had guppies and lots of fine leaved plants such as cabomba and elodea, I've ended up with 39 fry from two different batches :)

ok dont get discouraged. Your trying to get coverage for fry to survive in your tank without seperation right? Ok thats what I do and here is a picture of my tank. I dont have "floating" plants per say, but I have TALL plants that the extra (above water level just floats on the surface) \

im no expert, i've only had 6 or so batches of fry but rarely do my fry hide at the very top. They lay on the little fern leaves, in the gravel, there very imaginiative when it comes to hiding, and they are natually very cautious. The biggest thing is to have somehwere to hide, and not to get sucked into the filter (I just had this happen wiht my last batch, I watched as one got sucked up, and instantly got it out and if you see in the photo the little breeder box, its now happily living in there away from the filter intake) my old filter wasnt as powerfull and was as much a issue, I had many fry live in amongst the elders and do just fine. My dauthers tank is overflowing with fry of all stages....

:) They (and you) will do great :) Good Luck

(just a quick snapshot of one of my tanks, not to be rated for picture quality or finger prints on glass, and the occasional nose print, LOL)

Attachments

• IMG_8468.jpg
    IMG_8468.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 120
That looks much better I think I will set out to find some taller plants tomorrow I did get some foam to put over my filter intake to keep it from sucking up my fry which I just put on so I am thinking I really need something to hide it as it looks bad too but I want the fry to be as safe as I can make them when they come.

You'll be like me with your magnifiying glass checking everything out :) I can see the eggs in my balloon molly with it, and I can watch the babies eat with it, too cool, im only slightly obsessed!

Hahaha I bet I totally know that feeling I think I am driving my family nuts with it lol. Here are a couple pics of my fat mommas! The mickey mouse is getting bigger than the speckled one. Oh and the plants make for good cover I almost freaked out cause I couldn't find most of my platys and my daughter was like MOM come over here you can see them in the plants geeze!! Lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110421_173107.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110421_173107.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 90
This is my not so little lil blue mickey mouse

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110421_173246.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110421_173246.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 85
  • ForumRunner_20110421_173406.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110421_173406.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 80
And my speckled blue momma

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110421_173536.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110421_173536.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20110421_173616.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110421_173616.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 76
there beautiful, and nice and pregnant!! My kids, especially the eldest teenager is so tired of hearing about my fish, and of corse they are constatly catching with my face to the glass, LOL

If your looking for low lighted plants, let me point you in the direction of rook.

I was going to but I think I might just stick with plastic for now in this tank since it has larger size gravel rather than sand but I am considering live low light for my next tank then I will transfer my fish to it and relandscape this one to sand and plants. Rook? Is that a person or???

It has been a week (seems like longer to me but anyway) and I have my mind finally made up on my fry situation. I bought a breeding net and will transfer the fry from it to my other vacant tank. But my new question is, my momma is squared off so I am assuming she is real close, I put her in the net and she doesn't like it at all can this cause her to not deliver as soon as if she weren't bothered or could it cause her to abort the fry? I really want these fry to be born and survive so I don't want to screw things up.

shammond15731 said:
It has been a week (seems like longer to me but anyway) and I have my mind finally made up on my fry situation. I bought a breeding net and will transfer the fry from it to my other vacant tank. But my new question is, my momma is squared off so I am assuming she is real close, I put her in the net and she doesn't like it at all can this cause her to not deliver as soon as if she weren't bothered or could it cause her to abort the fry? I really want these fry to be born and survive so I don't want to screw things up.

'fraid so :( any stress can cause fish to delay or abort.

I agree with fishies86. I tired once to put my preggo molly in the breader box, and it lasted all of a couple hours and I let her out... I now only us is as a fry maturation tank, if needed, or a "time out" box... Gl and let us know how it goes

Back
Top Bottom