how about a cichlid section?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeFeKt

Aquarium Advice Addict
hi all.

I've noticed quite a few people now who seem to excel in the cichlid field and also do not seem to participate so much in the "other" varieties of fish. I also consider myself a 'cichlidophile' and as much as i'd love to, know very little about the likes of 'the rest' of the types of fish (for lack of a better term-sorry..) and cannot comment on or help with stocking peoples tanks, or generally helping out with the "others". I do try to browse for particular threads, but seem to look over them when the term 'cichlid' isn't in the title of the thread.

Would there be any call for a cichlid specific area in the freshwater section, or am i the only one who would use it?

As much as i admire and respect a great looking tank, and no offence intended to anyone of course but I find it frustrating having to open hundreds of threads to find anything of the sort.
Eg.
persay someones thread Title "help with stocking my 55gal"
Body of thread"I was thinking, gourami, goldfish and guppies"(note: example only)

which would be 90% of stocking questions to me, when I would be more interested in sharing and learning, with and from, other cichlid enthusiasts.
Anyone else care to comment on this?

thanks for hearing me out...

Matt.

I don't know how much a board such as that would be utilized by members. It would probably be a subforum to the General Discussion. I tend to do the same think DeFekt when I don't have much time on the boards. Now I have all new threads sent to my inbox in both the General Discussion and Getting Started forum. That way I can view each thread before actually opening it. Right now I just don't have alot of spare time and I can just briefly scan each thread before opening.

As with any request we will take a look and see if we feel there is enouh potental use to add it. It would most likly indeed be a subforum as Fishyfanatic pointed out. Simular to what was done with the planted aquascaping forum.

The site was never really inteded to be the 'one site for all aquarists' but instead more of a general site for the beginner and average hobbist that might be interested in either or both FW and SW. The true cichlidfile for example will likly not find AA to their satisfaction but a cichlid specific website would be right up their ally. We are comfortable enough with knowing we have our own nitch part of the aquaria website pie that we dont have a problem with refering members to more specific sites when approprate.

With that said we will look and see if we feel there are enough cichlid specific posts in recent history to merit a cichlid gen disc type forum as a sub forum of teh FW gen disc.

no probs :)
just thought i'd throw the idea up in the air.
i do have alot of cichlid sites i frequent, especially local ones, but for some reason keep getting drawn back to AA, obsession or intrigue i'm not quite sure, but it has found it's way into a part of my everyday life.

cheers for that,

Matthew

Lately I have noticed a lack of Cichlid threads. It seems like more people are getting into the Community type setups.

Back
Top Bottom