10 Gallon bedside tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
janky said:
Uh-oh.

The Seachem Flourish says it has 0.0001% water soluble Cu.

Is this going to be an issue for my shrimp?? :(

I would stop using it. Even small traces of copper are lethal. I would invest in some root tabs.

Decided to fill in that empty spot in the front with a crypt.

Attachments

• image-556632545.jpg
    image-556632545.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 78
Getting back to the Copper issue.

If your curious as to why copper is lethal to invertebrates.

In Lehman's terms: Most common aquarium invertebrates blood is copper based, causing it to look clear. Any adjustment to their metabolism can break down cell membranes and cause other macromolecules such as proteins to function improperly.

.0001% cu is not lethal to invertebrates. It's an essential element, that's why it's in there. So as long as you aren't dosing large amounts of copper, it's fine. Plenty of people dose flourish in shrimp tanks without any problem whatsoever.

I dose plantex csm+b which has .1% cu and my shrimp have never had a problem exploding in population.

Last edited:
Donkey Gun said:
Well, I'll just say, with my experience, it killed off 3 adult shrimp. So I stay away. :)

Did you dose the full amount the first time? In shrimp tanks you have to start slow, then work your way up to the full dose:)

I was actually doing some spot treatment for algae with a syringe, and the next day I had an ammonia spike. I found a dead adult shrimp. Then I found 2 more the following day. Since then, I just haven't bothered with the liquid.

Who knows, I could have gotten to close to one when treating. But its good to know they can handle it in small doses.

Thanks for the correction!

That page didn't load for me. I know people use flourish excel/glutaraldehyde for spot treating algae, so I don't know if that got confused with flourish comprehensive (the micromix fertilizer).

If there are solid reports on dosing flourish comprehensive (or any other commercial type of fert that aquarists use) affecting inverts in aquaria I would like to read through them, I'm not trying to be contrary I just know many people who regularly dose ferts in their planted shrimp tanks without ever having an issue.

****** DRUM ROLL ******

I have finally got my hands on some xmas moss! I had to go to the LFS to get some meds for my other tank and Im always checking their plants out looking for anything other than java moss. Their display tank has an incredible xmas moss bouquet that they grew off of a rock and Im always trying to get them to tear me off a bit, but their hesitant. Sometimes they have it for sale, but I always seem to miss it.

But this time, success! I told the owner that I had been looking for this moss for months, and about the time when US customs confiscated and destroyed the batch I bought off of eBay... This time, he just reached in there and gave me a bunch..... for free!!

For now, I just have it in the breeder box because I need to think about how Im going to arrange this. I do not want to pull the DW out if I don't have too, because that would pull off the glossos that are now beginning to root themselves up the center of the DW.

I will begin my miniature gardening tomorrow evening... excitement fills the tank.

47432-albums2612-picture35518.jpg

47432-albums2612-picture35519.jpg

OBEYtheFISH said:
Moss wall!!

I thought about doing a second moss wall in the back on the right, but I think 1 moss wall for this 10 gallon is enough. :)

My plan I think is to completely remove that center fern. It's not completely aquatic, and it's now finally starting to die off an brown. So I'll remove that, and then attach a nice bunch of Xmas moss to the right side of the DW so it hangs down in the center.

daileene said:
Beautiful xmas moss. You are so fortunate to get that for free.

Thank you! Ive probably spent over a $500 dollars at this LFS over the time I've been shopping there... so I wouldn't say it was completely free. lol.

Well, it has been attached to the DW! I moved a few things around as well and got rid of that river fern. I managed to attach it without pulling the DW out, which is great. The one photo shows how low I brought the water level down so I could attach it.

Attachments

• image-1877600657.jpg
    image-1877600657.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 132
  • image-2560377691.jpg
    image-2560377691.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 125
  • image-1512993360.jpg
    image-1512993360.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 149
Opps never mind. I see it now. The pics in my phone loaded late. Looks great donkey. You have such a great skill in scaping.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom