10 gallon build/stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zach's 10 gal build

first thing is to determine stocking, are there any plecos or cichlids i could get, how would you stock the tank?

i hear no other fish can be kept with shell dwellers which i dont want

Mumma.of.two said:
Myself, a dwarf gourami OR a betta and 6-10 ember tetras would be the max.

But the second option is assuming the betta would work. It totally depends on the personality of the individual betta.

zacheyp said:
how would you (max.) stock a 10 gal?

Why do you want to know how we would stock it? It's your decision. I think you should find some species you like, mention them on here, and we can tell you if it will work or not, and how many will work.

Mumma.of.two said:
Oh yeah. Thanks. Forgot that part. My bettas and angel!

Lol mine too. :) mine doesn't even eat guppy fry... (or nip at adult guppies)

You have been given tons of ideas in your other identical thread... im assuming you want more?
The best tank mates I have had in my ten gallon were guppies and corys. There was no aggression at all.

You have been given tons of ideas in your other identical thread... im assuming you want more?
The best tank mates I have had in my ten gallon were guppies and corys. There was no agression at all.

yep, your right, i couldnt get an angel right?

could i get 1 pleco
1 dwarf groumis
5 schooling fish

Schoolers need stocked at 6 or more. You could do the small schoolers, such as any of the ones already mentioned in the thread, and 1 DG, but no plecos work in a 10 gal IMO. I would suggest a couple nerite snails and maybe some shrimp like RCS or amanos for algae clean up. If you want to really max stock the tank, with proper filtration, you could also add 5 kuhli loaches if you have a smooth substrate. They won't get in the way of anyone else in the tank, so IMO they definitely fit, as long as you have a good enough filter on there.

siva said:
Schoolers need stocked at 6 or more. You could do the small schoolers, such as any of the ones already mentioned in the thread, and 1 DG, but no plecos work in a 10 gal IMO. I would suggest a couple nerite snails and maybe some shrimp like RCS or amanos for algae clean up. If you want to really max stock the tank, with proper filtration, you could also add 5 kuhli loaches if you have a smooth substrate. They won't get in the way of anyone else in the tank, so IMO they definitely fit, as long as you have a good enough filter on there.

I agree, no pleco, and up the school. Nerites are awesome "algae vacuums" and shrimp are also nice. If you need ideas for enough filtration for that amount of stock, I would suggest an Aquaclear 30... that's what I have on my ten gallon

zacheyp said:
yep, your right, i couldnt get an angel right?

No, angels need atleast 30 gallons... but they're super cool!
Angels also are potentially aggressive, but that usually only happens in pairs of angels.

I'd have to agree. I've heavily stocked a 10 with an AC 30 before, no problem. Amazon has the best prices on them. :)

NO cichlids if you aren't doing shellies. No plecos or really any other algae eating fish in a 10 gal.

You seriously have 3 threads asking about cichlids in a 10 gal now.

No - cichlids - other - than - shellies.

Back
Top Bottom