10 gallon nano-reef coming together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You put your rock in 6-7 days ago according to this thread. Your tank is still cycling and ammonia and nitrite are just as toxic to coral as they are fish. Take the coral back to your friend until your cycle is complete. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby

I had my water checked. Also I put rocks and sand and water in 2 weeks ago but didn't start this thread until last week

View attachment 224887
Looking better this morning before school

That's not a tank that's been running more than 24 hours. Trust us we have no reason to lie to you, we're not trying to sell you anything. Your tank has not cycled yet, slow down and let things run there course. Rehouse the corals for a couple more weeks, let your cycle finish and you'll be good to start adding to the tank.

Update! Corals doing well! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393936038.553494.jpg
Star polyp
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393936068.193273.jpg
Yellow polyp

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393936107.762404.jpg
A view of the whole tank so far.

Those were hitch hikers right?

Your tank certainly isn't ready for actual corals though. It's still filled with toxic levels of Ammonia and Nitrites and Nitrates. As Big red said, we aren't selling you anything. We are just here to help, and nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

There is no ammonia, nitrates, or nitrates. I have had my water tested twice by the best fish store within 50 miles. How do you know what my water is like? The two corals in there are small polyps my friend cut off for me to start the tank. They are doing perfectly fine. I agree nothing good happens fast but I have good water conditions and the coral is hardy. I dose calcium and bacteria. The bacteria is only for the rest of the week though.

Stop dosing calcium. You have 0 hard corals that use it. You will save yourself money and headache by not dosing it.

Is there a reason you need a refugium? I feel that on such a small tank, it's a big hassle unless you have a good reason besides biological filtration.

Oh. Ok. Thank you!

Is the nitrite too high?

Last edited by a moderator:
No you want 0 nitrite. Nitrate is ok, you really want it close to 0 but 10 isn't gonna hurt anything you have

How high did the nitrate climb and how big of a wc did you do to bring it down?

Nitrate was always low. I did 5 gallon water change because salinity and pH were too low. All good now though

All parameters seem good.
How long has the tank been running?
To ensure it's cycled. Add another ammonia source, if it goes down within 24 hours, you are good to go!

Just about 10 days! Everyone says I'm doing good. I added bacteria today. Going to add filter floss and clean filter tomorrow. I will have a professional water test and possibly a cleaner crew on Friday.

Alright, I'd still be cautious of the cycle. A big saying is nothing good happens fast, but both of my ten gallons cycled in about 10 days and I have no problems. Except bubble algae in one.

Back
Top Bottom