10 gallon planted tank stocking ideas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jigabodo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Howdi everyone! I have been a long time lurker on this site but finally decided to join!

About a month ago I decided to upgrade betta's 2.5 gallon to a 10 gallon. Currently, the tank's inhabitant includes:
1 betta (plakat variety)
2 amano shrimp

The tank is pretty heavily planted as well, so far I've got the followings in there:
Java moss (big bunch)
Java fern
Anacharis (big bunch)
Hornwort
Marimo moss
Banana plant
Cardinal plant

I dose liquid fertilizers (flourish comprehensive) about 2x a week, and the plants receive 2 WPG CFL about 9 hours a day. I have a aquaclear 20 HOB filter. I keep the tank temperature around 75F.

So far, the tank has been running for a while and everything seems going great, so I was wondering if I should get some more fish with relatively low bioloads, such as white cloud minnows or neon tetras? If I can, how many do you guys think my tank can handle seeing that it is relatively well planted?

Thanks in advance!

There was another thread concerning tankmates for a betta with a 10g and most people seem to be against it. I have never successfully kept other fish with a male betta. It sounds like a really nice tank though, I'd love to see some pictures of it.

I am keeping my betta with 8 Harlequin rasboras, 6 pygmy loaches, and 2 otos. However, the situation varies from betta to betta. They all have such different personalities and temperments

Thanks for the replies, guys. I tested my water again today before going to LFS and found my pH to be a little low (6.4), probably because I did not boil my driftwood enough before putting it in the tank.

I ended up doing a PWC and now the pH is at 6.8. I then went to my LFS and got 2 white clouds. So far the betta and the white clouds are coexisting pretty peacefully. Eventually I would like to have a school of 7-8 in there (86% stocking level according to aqadvisor.com)

I will check my water again tomorrow, if it gets too acidic again I will perform another PWC

I had a Betta with a trio of White Clouds in a 12g for years. Tried adding 3 Long Finned WCs and they were killed off. Tried adding 3 Panda Cory juvies and the Betta killed them. So him and his original WCs were the only fish.

This is what my tank looks like as of now, I took out the anacharis because they are just growing insane in my tank!

Attachments

• IMAG0092.jpg
    IMAG0092.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 273
jigabodo said:
This is what my tank looks like as of now, I took out the anacharis because they are just growing insane in my tank!

Awesome. Man i need to get a tiger lotus :)

Here is a update of the tank:

Hornwort has been taken out since it was making a mess, I replaced it with water wisteria instead. The java moss has now been attached to driftwood using fishing lines. My friendly LFS also gave me a baby crypt for free, and now it's settling pretty nicely as well.

Attachments

• IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0099.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 236
  • IMAG0098.jpg
    IMAG0098.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMAG0097.jpg
    IMAG0097.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 147
Really like the new set up. Have you thought about adding something on the back of the tank. Maybe a a dark back drop, would make the plants pop out more IMO.

Back
Top Bottom