10 gallon planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carpet/foreground plants include: dwarf hairgrass, dwarf saggitaria, micro sword...these plants stay relatively small and spread out like a carpet

midground plants: anubias, crypts, java fern...these plants stay kinda small but they dont spread out like the carpet plants, they just grow bigger all around. anubias and java ferns like their rhizomes (root-like structure) exposed so it's best to plant them above ground on driftwood and rocks

background plants: water sprite, peacock fern, amazon sword, pennywort...these plants grow tall and there are just too many to name. water sprite grows wide as well as tall and its a bushy kinda plant while amazon swords have very broad wide leaves. these plants should stay in the background as they can grow over a foot long

generally, the wider the leaves or the darker the leaves, the easier is is to raise. that doesn't mean that you can't grow plants like cabomba though, you just have to experiment. red leaved plants are even harder to grow since the red color they get needs higher lighting so avoid those.

Sweet guys thank you so much. I'm compiling a list right now of the ones I would like.

first, you've gotta understand that having a planted tank is a costly process
second, plants need a specific type of light to let them grow better
third, they need fertilizer as well

I have to mildly disagree with this....it is this perception that causes people to AVOID trying planted tanks.

My 10g. tank was very inexpensive to set up and is very low maintenance to maintain.

Mini CFLs were my biggest purchase I think. Full retail at $15 each.
My tank with a filter and hood was on sale for $15.
I got expensive sand the first time, my next tank I used free Black Diamond Blasting Sand. (it's cheap even when it's not free )
I've also used just regular aquarium gravel.
I got a couple of plants from a LFS.
I then discovered The Planted Tank and my local Club. All the rest of my plants have been Free to very Cheap !!! I refuse to pay retail for plants unless I really want it.
Manzanita and Driftwood was bought from my Club.

I don't use CO2, I avoid it for my Shrimp.

I do use a liquid fert, 1x weekly.
I did add DIY root caps, will replace every 4 months

I do trim my plants once a week.
I do thin out my floating plants once a week.
I do PWCs once a week.

It takes me about an hour a week to maintain my tank, if that.

I spend most of my time staring at my Shrimp Jungle.
It is possible to do a heavily planted tank on a budget.

It has been a work in progress, but this is my 10g
Feeding time 10g Shrimp Jungle - YouTube

I have lots of Crypts
Bacopa
Bolbitis
Ludwigia "Red"
Ludwigia repens
Several kinds of Mosses
Dwarf Red Tiger Water Lily
Amazon Frogbit
etc...

I would agree that it's very possible to get a very nice planted tank without spending much money at all. That being said, people often expect too much from budget systems. In this hobby, you get what you pay for. Shell out more money and you will get better results, especially as far as CO2 and light are concerned.

Coursair said:
I have to mildly disagree with this....it is this perception that causes people to AVOID trying planted tanks.

My 10g. tank was very inexpensive to set up and is very low maintenance to maintain.

Mini CFLs were my biggest purchase I think. Full retail at $15 each.
My tank with a filter and hood was on sale for $15.
I got expensive sand the first time, my next tank I used free Black Diamond Blasting Sand. (it's cheap even when it's not free )
I've also used just regular aquarium gravel.
I got a couple of plants from a LFS.
I then discovered The Planted Tank and my local Club. All the rest of my plants have been Free to very Cheap !!! I refuse to pay retail for plants unless I really want it.
Manzanita and Driftwood was bought from my Club.

I don't use CO2, I avoid it for my Shrimp.

I do use a liquid fert, 1x weekly.
I did add DIY root caps, will replace every 4 months

I do trim my plants once a week.
I do thin out my floating plants once a week.
I do PWCs once a week.

It takes me about an hour a week to maintain my tank, if that.

I spend most of my time staring at my Shrimp Jungle.
It is possible to do a heavily planted tank on a budget.

It has been a work in progress, but this is my 10g
Feeding time 10g Shrimp Jungle - YouTube

I have lots of Crypts
Bacopa
Bolbitis
Ludwigia "Red"
Ludwigia repens
Several kinds of Mosses
Dwarf Red Tiger Water Lily
Amazon Frogbit
etc...

What plant in the video is the floating one that's like haning down?

And thanks so much for all that info, that was some good stuff.

From the surface? It's duckweed. Duckweed and salvinia, or other similar floating plants act kind of like water lilies lol. They sit on the water.

They also suck up ammonia and nitrate because they reproduce so fast. Theyre great for any tank but in my opinion a cycling tank lol.

What plant in the video is the floating one that's like haning down?

And thanks so much for all that info, that was some good stuff.

It is Amazon Frogbit. I love it. I do have Duckweed as well, but the Frogbit get great roots. The Shrimp sometimes ride around on the roots.
You are welcome. I started slow and am still learning as I go.

I would agree that it's very possible to get a very nice planted tank without spending much money at all. That being said, people often expect too much from budget systems. In this hobby, you get what you pay for. Shell out more money and you will get better results, especially as far as CO2 and light are concerned.

For faster growth, high light and CO2 can't be beat, but high tech also is more maintenance and money. For me on a budget, I'm just thrilled with my tanks.

I admire my club members high tech set ups, but I enjoy my easy low tech lazy tanks. I can get away with cheaper lights and less ferts as my biggest tanks are 10g.

If I had a tall tank for sure I'd want better lights and perhaps CO2 as well :)

Coursair said:
It is Amazon Frogbit. I love it. I do have Duckweed as well, but the Frogbit get great roots. The Shrimp sometimes ride around on the roots.
You are welcome. I started slow and am still learning as I go.

Oh wow! Sorry for saying the wrong thing. They look so similar lol.

Yeah, I'm getting ready to set up my 10 gallon planted tank. What substrate do you guys recommend ?

Loukas42 said:
Yeah, I'm getting ready to set up my 10 gallon planted tank. What substrate do you guys recommend ?

You can use a wide variety!!!

Eco Complete is popular, but pricey. A 10g keeps cost down.

I love my Black Sand. I've used ;
Flourite Sand (black) incredibly dusty, but good.
Black Diamond Blasting Sand
Tahitian Moon Sand ( caps both other sands, cuz it's the prettiest ).

Gravel works, but I like it least. Harder to plant in.

Aqua Soil I use new Amazonia Multi to lower PH for my CRS. Pricey, hard as heck to plant in, cuz it's so light, but plants look GREAT. And PH is 6.0. Won't use it again, but it does what it says.
Luckily I live near Aqua Forest in San Francisco, so didn't have to ship it.

PFS is also very popular, but I don't like white sand.

Organic Potting Soil capped by sand is the Walstad Method.

I have used a variety of substrates and it would be hard for me to ever switch off of aqua soil after seeing it in Action the last few years. Certainly great results can be achieved without it but ime it works wonders for growth- especially with compact higher light species.

Luckily I live near Aqua Forest in San Francisco, so didn't have to ship it.

I hate you. I truly do.

For those of us not blessed enough to be by an ADA distributor, I recommend getting a aquasoil-like substrate (once again saving yourself some serious cash). Fluval plant stratum, Red Sea Flora Base, and Azoo Plant Grower Bed are all contenders. I recommend this stuff for the sake of cheap shipping and from what I've heard.

No. The finer particles, ie the sand, will settle over time, ending up below the plant bed. That, and there's no real reason to cap it. Its not like just dirt or mts.

aqua_chem said:
I hate you. I truly do.

For those of us not blessed enough to be by an ADA distributor, I recommend getting a aquasoil-like substrate (once again saving yourself some serious cash). Fluval plant stratum, Red Sea Flora Base, and Azoo Plant Grower Bed are all contenders. I recommend this stuff for the sake of cheap shipping and from what I've heard.

It's my first time using Aqua Soil, but PH is 6 and my CRS should be happy. Mosses and Ferns , Crypts and stems all growing well. Lindernia rotundifolia is the newest stem I'm trying out. I like it :)

Once I add a background I'll take some pics of my 5.5g CRS only tank.

Back
Top Bottom