10 gallon - what can i put in with my betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brazilianangel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've gotten a 10 gallon a few weeks ago.. I'm done cycling and i want to put my male betta in there but i was wondering what else i could put there with him? I've heard neon tetras get along with bettas but then i've heard the opposite and now i'm not sure.. So what do you guys think i can put in there to keep him company?

For Neon Tetras, it's hit or miss. It depends on the personality of your Betta and how aggressive he is. I've heard about Bettas that get along just fine with Neon Tetras, but others I've heard will attack them because their colors are similar.

I have a 10 gallon too, and I'm planning to get a male Betta next week. Right now I have three Cory Cats. I've heard they do great with Bettas.

If you decide to get Neon Tetras, let me know how it goes. ;)

I have seen neon tetras gang up on and nip bettas. Male bettas don't need anther fish to keep them company. I had a few bettas over the years that lived alone in a 10 gallon tank and they were fine. They had a good long life.

If you do want to try some tankmates then I've read from other members here that cory cats and otos will usually get along with a betta. But I agree with dreamsINdigital and I would still caution you that a betta's personality will determine if he will tolerate tankmates. The safe plan is to have a tank ready to go betta-only if something happens with the betta and the tankmates you've chosen.

each betta is its own. really until you try it there is no telling. some cant even handle a snail in there with them. i would have another tank in place just in case.

Thanks guys! :)
I'm leaning towards either the cory cats or the neons..

How many should i put in?
I've heard at least 6 neons but wouldn't it be too crowded with the betta? If i get cory cats, about 3 plus the betta would it be crowded or just enough?

btw: I've had my betta for 6 months, he's in a 3 gallon so if he doesn't get along with his companions he'll remain there :( i really hope he gets along though :)

My males and females did fine with neons and cories. it was bigger tetras that it had issues with.

It should get along fine, plant it heavily and you should be good.

Bettas have a territory that it needs to think its being a true betta. If those arent in place there will be alot of fights.

I think 3 cories with a betta in a 10 gallon is fine; that's what I'm doing.

Whatever you get, I hear it's best to take the betta out of the tank for a bit, add the other fish, then put the betta back. Otherwise, it might feel territorial and not get along with the others. I've also heard about shuffling the decorations a bit when adding new fish to a tank with a betta.

Neons can be fun with a betta. My wife has a betta that likes to chase the neons when he's bored. He'll chase them around the tank a few times before he realizes he's too slow to catch them. WhiteDevil is right about the plants. As long as the neons have some shelter, they'll do fine with a betta.

I had 7 neons in a 20 long with a betta and had to take them out because THEY were nipping my betta. I'd be careful with the neons. It doesn't sound like the perfect match either way. White clouds may be a better match. They aren't nippy and they aren't as frenetic as neons. Bettas like more calm fish, generally. Stay away from guppies. Fancy guppies look too much like another betta.

I have a live bearer tank with a beta and 6 types of fish and a total of 27 fish and my beta does not bother any of the fish. Except during feeding time when he is really hungry he will flare up so the other fish will give him a chance to eat lol.

Back
Top Bottom