100g planted discus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lovely lovely tank my friend! Nice healthy looking discus too! Mum changing mine to a planted again just as soon as I finish breeding the little buggers to make a bit of money :) hoping they will pay for new lighting co2 system and all the plants for the re-scape! What filtration have you got running on this one and what's your water change routine??? Once again good job really nice tank!

Does anybody here overfilter ? I just ordered an external filter with a built in uv light for a 400ltr tank (my tank is 125ltr)
I have a 240 litre tank with a sump and a 300 litre canister filter then finally a uv sterilizer made for a 600l tank when it comes to uv more is better and there is no limit apart from when it comes to fitting it under your cabinet lol. Search on Google for the stages of uv sterilization you will see that if you really want uv "sterilization" you need to get one at least 3 times the size of the tank :)

Does anybody here overfilter ? I just ordered an external filter with a built in uv light for a 400ltr tank (my tank is 125ltr)

I had recently moved the location of this tank to a lower traffic area and swapped one of the eheim canisters filters to a bigger one with a uv built in. Cascade I think. That made a difference and the farlowella and discus started breeding after this.

The flow kept the discus away from the right side so the farlowella could spawn safely.

Over filtering is fine but under filtering is fine with this many plants but it takes time to grow this well.

Lovely lovely tank my friend! Nice healthy looking discus too! Mum changing mine to a planted again just as soon as I finish breeding the little buggers to make a bit of money :) hoping they will pay for new lighting co2 system and all the plants for the re-scape! What filtration have you got running on this one and what's your water change routine??? Once again good job really nice tank!

You should still do partial water changes even though the plant soak up a lot of nitrate because it seems to stimulate the fish to spawn as if it is raining. Just be conscious of ph

One of my discus pair have been laying eggs every 10 days for months now and finally we have wrigglers. I don't expect them to survive though.

I don't even know what a pre filter is. I have since taken all the other fish out, the huge log and most of the plants. Changed the gravel to sand. There's another pair now that started laying eggs. Still after all this time wrigglers won't attach to the parents and just die.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The prefilter is like a big cylindrical sponge also looks like a sponge filter, covers the filter intake so that the babies don't get sucked into the filter.

I thought that's what you meant. No I have regular filters for the tank. The babies don't get sucked in. They would survive if they got on the parents.

Ok so really good news on this update! This new couple have formed next to the other couple who have been laying eggs for months. This new couple have swimming fry on their second try and they are congregating around the parents. It looks super promising and I'm super excited. Hopefully the older couple will learn from these new parents. It's funny because you can see the other eggs at the back. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411342730.342518.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411342743.212741.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411342700.279874.jpg

Ok so really good news on this update! This new couple have formed next to the other couple who have been laying eggs for months. This new couple have swimming fry on their second try and they are congregating around the parents. It looks super promising and I'm super excited. Hopefully the older couple will learn from these new parents. It's funny because you can see the other eggs at the back. View attachment 250599View attachment 250600View attachment 250598

That is great! Wow, very exciting, to see all the babies.

I think I have to seperate them in the next few days from the parents

So annoying. I have separated the two couples into their own smaller glass bottom tanks. While they are still laying eggs every week, they eat them before they wriggle. I wonder why. I will give them two more weeks in there then I'm going to give up again and just out them back with the others.

So annoying. I have separated the two couples into their own smaller glass bottom tanks. While they are still laying eggs every week, they eat them before they wriggle. I wonder why. I will give them two more weeks in there then I'm going to give up again and just out them back with the others.

What color are the eggs and how long after they're laid do they eat them ? How old is the pair and I'm not quite certain if I followed they are or are not in their own tank ? You could cover the eggs and cone with a "fence" type structure to ensure they get to wiggler stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Back
Top Bottom