10g first tank : )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She looks like a common to me. :( since (s)he has a name, I'm guessing your already attached, and won't want to take lolly back to the store. Common plecos can grow to 24 inches in length, and really need a 125 gallon. I mean I guess it's ok if you keep lolly, but she will go through a painful, and eventually fatal process called stunting. Basically what happens is the fish itself stops growing, but it's organs continue to grow. Sooner or later, something presses up against something it's not supposed to, and fishie dies. If you'd like to rehome lolly, you can post an add in the classifieds here. Someone with a big enough tank will take you up on your offer, and they can probably keep you updated.

Homedog98 said:
She looks like a common to me. :( since (s)he has a name, I'm guessing your already attached, and won't want to take lolly back to the store. Common plecos can grow to 24 inches in length, and really need a 125 gallon. I mean I guess it's ok if you keep lolly, but she will go through a painful, and eventually fatal process called stunting. Basically what happens is the fish itself stops growing, but it's organs continue to grow. Sooner or later, something presses up against something it's not supposed to, and fishie dies. If you'd like to rehome lolly, you can post an add in the classifieds here. Someone with a big enough tank will take you up on your offer, and they can probably keep you updated.

+1

It's sad, but true. If you want a pleco there are smaller ones. Not sure if any would fit in a ten gallon though. Homedog, this is your area of expertise.

A clown pleco would be nice in there, look them up on google! They've got stripes, and only get to about 4 inches! I'm really sorry about lolly. I feel really bad. They shouldn't even sell commons in stores IMO. they're just too big.

Homedog98 said:

:'( :'( really...why don't they tell you these things at the store? I will put him in my aunts tank. It's 180 gallons. How long can I keep him or should I move him ASAP?

Homedog98 said:
A clown pleco would be nice in there, look them up on google! They've got stripes, and only get to about 4 inches! I'm really sorry about lolly. I feel really bad. They shouldn't even sell commons in stores IMO. they're just too big.

Ok. Cool. There's so much to know....

I hate every part of this process, But you really need to move the little fish soon. They grow very fast, and in order to protect lolly from stunting, you really need to move him/her as soon as you can. At least you can still visit lolly! She'll be so much happier with all that extra swimming room! Keep us updated, and tell your aunt to do the same! I wouldn't be breaking this to you if the stores would start hiring staff that know what they're doing, and stop selling fish that grow too big for a normal size tank.

Homedog98 said:
I hate every part of this process, But you really need to move the little fish soon. They grow very fast, and in order to protect lolly from stunting, you really need to move him/her as soon as you can. At least you can still visit lolly! She'll be so much happier with all that extra swimming room! Keep us updated, and tell your aunt to do the same! I wouldn't be breaking this to you if the stores would start hiring staff that know what they're doing, and stop selling fish that grow too big for a normal size tank.

Yea. They all give conflicting advice. I'd rather them tell me they don't know than just guess and my fish ends up dying.

teebabii8 said:
Yea. They all give conflicting advice. I'd rather them tell me they don't know than just guess and my fish ends up dying.

Yes. They just want your money Is the other sad part. Just get into the habit of asking questions here, ignoring pet store advice, get what you need at the pet store, and don't let them sway you into buying anything other then what you came to buy. I've learned, but my parents still don't get it. And they have to drive me places still. (13).

otos are a good option for a small tank. they've got wonderful personality, just make sure you get a group of them (5+). a pitbull pleco (Parotocinclus jumbo) stays around 3-4 inches as well. I've read they prefer groups, but I have a single that does well. I've been trying to find her a couple friends for a while, though anyway.

Nice looking tank! (y)

Sorry to hear that your Lolly will need to find a new home. Trust me, you're not alone in buying a Common Pleco and not knowing how large they get. I did the exact same thing. My Pleco, Tony, is growing very fast and I will eventually need to find a new home for him too.

As far as LFS selling the Common Plecos, I agree that something should be done to educate people about them. I'm not exactly against the LFS selling them, but they should include more info on the description tags on the tank.

In my case, Tony was an impulse buy, (which is something I never do btw as I always research first, then buy), but I messed up. Oh and here's the kicker... I purchased him from Petco and when you go to their site, they show 10g being the minimum tank size for a Common Pleco, (simply noted as "Plecostomus" on their site). Disturbing, huh?

So there you go, Teebabii. You're not alone in making the "Common Pleco Oops". Glad to hear you're wanting to do the right thing for Lolly! :D

Homedog98 said:
Yes. They just want your money Is the other sad part. Just get into the habit of asking questions here, ignoring pet store advice, get what you need at the pet store, and don't let them sway you into buying anything other then what you came to buy. I've learned, but my parents still don't get it. And they have to drive me places still. (13).

Yea. Really. I've already learnt so much more on here than talking to the pet store employees.

mommytron said:
otos are a good option for a small tank. they've got wonderful personality, just make sure you get a group of them (5+). a pitbull pleco (Parotocinclus jumbo) stays around 3-4 inches as well. I've read they prefer groups, but I have a single that does well. I've been trying to find her a couple friends for a while, though anyway.

Hmmm. I'll look them up. You don't think 5 is too much for 10g?

Yes, that will happen. I take everything they say worth a grain of salt until it's proven true. I did have my lfs tell me to cycle using the fishless method.

McLumpy said:
Nice looking tank! (y)

Sorry to hear that your Lolly will need to find a new home. Trust me, you're not alone in buying a Common Pleco and not knowing how large they get. I did the exact same thing. My Pleco, Tony, is growing very fast and I will eventually need to find a new home for him too.

As far as LFS selling the Common Plecos, I agree that something should be done to educate people about them. I'm not exactly against the LFS selling them, but they should include more info on the description tags on the tank.

In my case, Tony was an impulse buy, (which is something I never do btw as I always research first, then buy), but I messed up. Oh and here's the kicker... I purchased him from Petco and when you go to their site, they show 10g being the minimum tank size for a Common Pleco, (simply noted as "Plecostomus" on their site). Disturbing, huh?

So there you go, Teebabii. You're not alone in making the "Common Pleco Oops". Glad to hear you're wanting to do the right thing for Lolly! :D

: ) Thanks. I felt like such an idiot.

Bettababe1011 said:
Yes, that will happen. I take everything they say worth a grain of salt until it's proven true. I did have my lfs tell me to cycle using the fishless method.

Yea that's prob the only good advice I got too. Did u check out the pics of the swordtail?

teebabii8 said:
Hmmm. I'll look them up. You don't think 5 is too much for 10g?

With the ottos, 3-5 would be just fine! You will have to choose between ottos or a pleco... Or else they'll have to compete for food.

Homedog98 said:
With the ottos, 3-5 would be just fine! You will have to choose between ottos or a pleco... Or else they'll have to compete for food.

Well I guess I'll check out the ottos before I decide. I'll also look up the clown pleco although I don't think they have it at my nearby pet store.

Bettababe1011 said:
Yeah. I can't really tell much from them. How's he doing now.

Hiding out under one of the decorations because the balloon Molly is picking on him. I don't think he's gonna make it.

teebabii8 said:
Well I guess I'll check out the ottos before I decide. I'll also look up the clown pleco although I don't think they have it at my nearby pet store.
Did you know you can order fish online now? Pm HN1 and severum mama on here, as they own their own store, and make special orders, but liveaquaria.com is great too!

Back
Top Bottom