10g first tank : )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I definitely wouldn't add a single fish at this point. Your tank is very overstocked. It definitely cannot support oto cats. Oto's also should be added to a tank that has been established for atleast 6 months. A 10 gal tank is not going to produce enough algea, or atleast it shouldn't be, to feed 5 oto's so you would need to make sure to supplement feed or they will starve.

IMHO no pleco is appropriate for a 10 gal tank. I think the widely accepted minimum for even the dwarf plecos is a 20 gal. A 4" fish with a large bio-load is just too much for a 10 gal. Swords should be in 29+ tanks, and mollies no smaller than 20, some real knowledgeable folks around here say no smaller than 29. So at this point really the guppies are the only the fish in your tank that should remain there. Guppies like to be in groups of 3+ so I would add one guppy (keeping either all males or females) and then try to figure out what else to add, a couple platties or a dwarf gourami might be nice. If the tank has been running for 6 mos, I would add 2 or 3 oto's as well.

Stocking a smaller tank like this being careful not to overstock will be one of your biggest keys to long term success with your fish :)

no pressure. don't introduce anything new to the tank until you've got everything sorted out and you feel comfortable.

here's a couple shots of our otos, and one of our pitbull pleco perched on a river rock.

Attachments

• image-1259193033.jpg
    image-1259193033.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image-730649656.jpg
    image-730649656.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 51
  • image-4065910134.jpg
    image-4065910134.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 55
siva said:
I definitely wouldn't add a single fish at this point. Your tank is very overstocked. It definitely cannot support oto cats. Oto's also should be added to a tank that has been established for atleast 6 months. A 10 gal tank is not going to produce enough algea, or atleast it shouldn't be, to feed 5 oto's so you would need to make sure to supplement feed or they will starve.

IMHO no pleco is appropriate for a 10 gal tank. I think the widely accepted minimum for even the dwarf plecos is a 20 gal. A 4" fish with a large bio-load is just too much for a 10 gal. Swords should be in 29+ tanks, and mollies no smaller than 20, some real knowledgeable folks around here say no smaller than 29. So at this point really the guppies are the only the fish in your tank that should remain there. Guppies like to be in groups of 3+ so I would add one guppy (keeping either all males or females) and then try to figure out what else to add, a couple platties or a dwarf gourami might be nice. If the tank has been running for 6 mos, I would add 2 or 3 oto's as well.

Stocking a smaller tank like this being careful not to overstock will be one of your biggest keys to long term success with your fish :)

Read the whole post. He's got a plan to rehome him, and isn't planning to add any fish yet. He's got an aunt with an established 180 gallon that's willing to take him.

teebabii8 said:
Lol. Guess I never really thought about that.

Hmm otos sound like a good fit. Idk if I wanna add any fish right now. I'm struggling. I feel like I'm doing everything wrong.

Thats always how it is at first. I can't remember who, but someone on here just recently accidentally dosed contact disinfectant instead of ammonia. Just keep in mind that your doing what's right for your fish, and both you, and your fish are in good hands.

Read the whole post. He's got a plan to rehome him, and isn't planning to add any fish yet. He's got an aunt with an established 180 gallon that's willing to take him.

My apologies, it got pretty long, but the rest still applies :rocol:

Homedog98 said:

I'm a girl : ) lol

I'll just say I think your tank looks great! Just rehome the pleco and when everything seems established and under control then consider adding new fish and you'll be fine

Kat1103 said:
I'll just say I think your tank looks great! Just rehome the pleco and when everything seems established and under control then consider adding new fish and you'll be fine

That's what I was thinking. What do you think would make good additions once I get the tank running properly?

My guppies seem to be doing the best. I was thinking maybe a coupled more of them.

teebabii8 said:

That's what I was thinking. What do you think would make good additions once I get the tank running properly?

My guppies seem to be doing the best. I was thinking maybe a coupled more of them.

A few more guppies would be nice. You could also do a small school of neon tetras.

Yeah, guppies definitely like the company. My two orange guppies are always together, two males. And my blue and yellow just go their own way or hang out with the zebra danios.

Nothing beats a group of colorful male guppies IMO! I keep a tank of just guppies and I love watching them flutter about. If you could get your hands on them, a school of boraras brigittae aka mosquito rasbora would be a great tankmate for them, as would be a couple scarlet badis aka dario dario.

siva said:
Nothing beats a group of colorful male guppies IMO! I keep a tank of just guppies and I love watching them flutter about. If you could get your hands on them, a school of boraras brigittae aka mosquito rasbora would be a great tankmate for them, as would be a couple scarlet badis aka dario dario.

I've never even heard of these fish. Lol. Gonna have to look them up and see if pet store has them.

Bettababe1011 said:
Yeah, guppies definitely like the company. My two orange guppies are always together, two males. And my blue and yellow just go their own way or hang out with the zebra danios.

I think i have two females...and yea mine are usually together.

I've never even heard of these fish. Lol. Gonna have to look them up and see if pet store has them.

Yeah I could never find them locally in my small town. Have to order online. But I guess they are not uncommon to find at many lfs.

Homedog98 said:
Are their tails colorful or not?

They are both white with colorful tails. But they have gravid spots. Is it only the females that have gravid spots.

There are lots more great colorful females these days but males have longer flowing tail fins...usually. All livebearers can be sexed easily by their anal fin. The female has an actualy triangular fin and the male has a gonopodium that is held close to his body.
Femalelivebearer.jpg
Malelivebearer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom