10g fowlr help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm converting my 10 gallon planted into a fowlr and want to know everything I need.

Here's what I am thinking, correct me if I'm wrong:

Filter (already have)
Heater (already have)
Light (already have)
Sand
12 pounds live rock
100 gph power head

Is there anything else equipment wise ill need to do this? PLEASE HELP! I wanna get started right away.

An ro-di unit foraging water, test kits. What kind of filter is it? What is your stock plans for this tank? A 10g fowler might not be that interesting stock wise, there are only a few fish you can keep in that size tank. Do you think you may go reef later down the road? Check out some of the nano builds on here for advice and inspiration!

An ro-di unit foraging water, test kits. What kind of filter is it? What is your stock plans for this tank? A 10g fowler might not be that interesting stock wise, there are only a few fish you can keep in that size tank. Do you think you may go reef later down the road? Check out some of the nano builds on here for advice and inspiration!

I plan on purchasing pre made water as I don't think an rodi unit is not worth it for just a 10 gallon.

The filter is an Aqueon quiet flow 10.

I've been doing a little research for fish and here's some ideas I had. This is not a stock list just some fish I'm interested in.

Fire fish
Ocellaris clownfish
Dwarf seahorse
Some type of star fish
Cleanup crew
I need to go checkout one of my lfs saltwaters section to see what all they have.

I would possible like to do a reef eventually once I get the $$$ to get a like that is reef compatible but I'm just gonna start out with LR.

A fire fish and a clown may work, even though clowns generally require 20g tanks I have seen them in 10s. Seahorses require species only tanks as they have different temp, flow and feeding needs...

A fire fish and a clown may work, even though clowns generally require 20g tanks I have seen them in 10s. Seahorses require species only tanks as they have different temp, flow and feeding needs...

Ya I think I'll just stick to those two. How many of each could I get cause I read clowns are best kept in a pair and fire fish can be kept singly or in groups of 4+. Also what about the star fish an cleanup crew. What would you recommend for that?

I would say only one of each and perhaps a small goby? I don't have have much of a CUC so its up to you, what do you like? Crabs, shrimps, snails? I don't know much about starfish either, I have always stayed clear of them (too hard)

I would say only one of each and perhaps a small goby? I don't have have much of a CUC so its up to you, what do you like? Crabs, shrimps, snails? I don't know much about starfish either, I have always stayed clear of them (too hard)

I'm thinking
2 clowns
1 fire fish
1 shrimp ( need to research what kinds there is)
1-2 hermit crabs
1-2 small snails

Would this be over stock or ok?

Just checked aqadviser. Def overkill on that list so scrap that.

Ill just do :

2 clowns
CUC

that's not an awful list. since you don't wanna keep corals you can get away with poorer water quality. however I would probably stick with just two fish for a ten gallon. just easier to deal with. I have heard of many people being successful with two clowns in a ten gallon. I would also get at least five snails for the tank.

that's not an awful list. since you don't wanna keep corals you can get away with poorer water quality. however I would probably stick with just two fish for a ten gallon. just easier to deal with. I have heard of many people being successful with two clowns in a ten gallon. I would also get at least five snails for the tank.

I do plan on getting corals down the road once I have the $$$ to get a nice light. What would be a good one to look into? I don't wanna spend more than like $150 on it. An ok ill make sure to get a few snails! Would hermit crabs be ok to add also?

HO t5 would work, I have a 86 watt one on my 25. Go to live aquaria and look at fish subtle for a 10

Okay I have another question. Is this all the equipment ill need or do I need anything else?

Filter (already have)
Heater (already have)
Light (already have)
Sand
12 pounds live rock
100 gph power head

Testing equipment, salt, you might be interested in a skimmer , reef octopus just came out with a nano that's great

if you keep up on water changes I wouldn't worry to much with a skimmer. you will want a ph buffer and raiser and probably a calcium supplement for crustaceans. test kits, hydrometer for testing salinity. also you will probably want more flow eventually. I run a 400 gph power head for my ten gallon and it's perfect. I might want to run a 100 the opposite way though.

have you given any thought to the water you will use? distiller or ro/di is best, especially with corals.

also make sure you wash out your filter real well before using it haha :)

I want to purchase pre made water as I think that would be the easiest! And how often would I need to do water changes ?

that will depend a little on your bioload and such , but I do one gallon once a week. it's very easy! :) you will also want to have plain ro water to top up with to keep your salinity stable, because water evaporates but salt doesn't, so if you top up with salt water you just keep adding more salt

that will depend a little on your bioload and such , but I do one gallon once a week. it's very easy! :) you will also want to have plain ro water to top up with to keep your salinity stable, because water evaporates but salt doesn't, so if you top up with salt water you just keep adding more salt

Okay, I'll probably do a 3-5 gallon water change every 2 weeks as my other thanks are on a 2 weeks schedule and I think that would be easiest. Would that work?

Back
Top Bottom