10gal stocking help?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Levels are back to normal. I'm still going to wait an see what happens over night though.

Thank you for the suggestions! I may just stick with gouramis. I love the look of the Badis, but if they have a high maintenance diet, its not for me. Im already dealing with a sensitive black moor in my other tank. It would be nice to just throw in some flakes and admire... :)

Beware, sparklers can sometimes be difficult too. Thats why I definitely suggest asking the store what they eat just to make sure. :)

siva said:
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that!

Well it would be great to have a 1:1 sex ratio, but I'm guessing that's going to be impossible. Females are really hard to find. Atleast 3 males would be fine in there, as long as as it is planted and they can take a break from eachother if things get intense. They will have some little battles, but mine have never damaged eachother.

And just to be sure. These would be fine with 6 green neon tetras?

Yeah..I wouldn't say sparklers are any easier than the scarlet. And the scarlet are probably hardier, actually.

Yes they'll be the fine. The scarlet are about the size of the tetra.

I am willingly accepting the responsibility.. :)

On another note, I've had a baby snail suddenly appear! I'm guessing it came from the plant I bought last week.. or maybe it's the soul of the tetra I lost yesterday.. lol.

Additionally, my nitrites shot up again today.. did another 50% wc. Is it possible I'm going through a mini cycle?

I am willingly accepting the responsibility.. :)

On another note, I've had a baby snail suddenly appear! I'm guessing it came from the plant I bought last week.. or maybe it's the soul of the tetra I lost yesterday.. lol.

Additionally, my nitrites shot up again today.. did another 50% wc. Is it possible I'm going through a mini cycle?
Yeah, it's hard to avoid snails in a planted tank. It does sound like a mini cycle. How far up did the trites go? Hopefully you're using Prime as your dechlor. Make sure you dose the new water with enough Prime for the entire tank to neutrilize any trites left behind. :)

Yes, I am using prime and today it seems stable. It never got higher than 1.0.

So off to the LFS I went. I picked up five new fish, which idiotically I've forgotten the name of. Cool little dudes with yellow tipped fins.

image-609180841.jpg

And.. I grabbed a few more plants.

image-4021344868.jpg

image-2123565937.jpg

image-2920632370.jpg

Now I'm off to buy some yeast and attempting to make a DIY co2 diffuser.

Didn't buy any inverts yet but I did see some vibrant little lobsters. Would they be peaceful enough for my current stock?

I also built my own CO2 injector last night, so hopefully the baby tears and other ground cover I bought will begin to fill in nicely.

What kind of crayfish? Only dwarf crays would work, like CPO's.

And your tank looks awesome! :)

siva said:
What kind of crayfish? Only dwarf crays would work, like CPO's.

And your tank looks awesome! :)

CPOs? I'm sorry I don't follow. But I was looking at all the cherry shrimp, or small shrimp like that..

But, my gf loved the little lobsters. like the albino lobster or the cherry lobster... not sure on the names.. But won't those guys get big? or are they just altered crayfish?

I also picked ups tiny piece of driftwood. I boiled it for 6 hours last night, then left it out in a bucket over night. In the cooler water it doesn't seem to leach, but of course when I boil it, some of the tannins continue to leech.

Should I continue boiling till it stops, or is it safe now for the cooler waters?

Back
Top Bottom