10gal stocking help?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you keep the vacuum about a 1/4 inch from the sand, it's fine and still picks up the waste.

Before I put my fish in, the sand wasn't still entirely clean. The water was still a little cloudy. So I vacuumed it over and over again. The only time it would suck up the sand is when the vacuum was buried deep into the substrate.

When you clean the sand, all your left with is the small grains, not the dust which is created by the grains rubbing. This is heavy enough to create an appealing landscape with great filtration.

You'll notice on my pic that there's a bubbler buried in the sand. The bubbler is first buried in stones (1/2 inch in size) and then covered in sand and I still have no problem with the sand blowing everywhere!

I see, so how much sand per gallon would you recommend?

It depends on your plans. My 10 gallon ranges from 2 inches deep to 4 inches. You need a deep substrate if your planning on using live plants.

I wouldn't do live plants yet. I haven't ventures over to that side of fw yet.

Donkey Gun said:
where are you located? I'm in Los Angeles. I have no experience shipping plants but if your interested I could give it a shot.

So cal! Very close!

Well then, the store I go to is called Oranda. It's located on the corner of La Brea and Beverly in Los Angeles.

I need to check on the price, I know almost all of their potted plants are 6.95. But they have so many I could be wrong that this beautiful plant is 7 as well. Actually I'll call right now...

Phone number is wrong... but this lead me to look for other shops. Have you ever been to Aquarium World in Inglewood??

http://www.aquariumworld.co/

I may be changing stores. LOL. I like the selection at Oranda, but the staff are more of the sales people type instead of the hobbyist type. Plus the size doesn't even compare to a warehouse!!

I'm still down to ship it, if you like as well.

Donkey Gun said:
Well then, the store I go to is called Oranda. It's located on the corner of La Brea and Beverly in Los Angeles.

I need to check on the price, I know almost all of their potted plants are 6.95. But they have so many I could be wrong that this beautiful plant is 7 as well. Actually I'll call right now...

Phone number is wrong... but this lead me to look for other shops. Have you ever been to Aquarium World in Inglewood??

http://www.aquariumworld.co/

I may be changing stores. LOL. I like the selection at Oranda, but the staff are more of the sales people type instead of the hobbyist type. Plus the size doesn't even compare to a warehouse!!

I'm still down to ship it, if you like as well.

Woah, if i am ever up there, i will definatly check those places out. You dont need to ship, but thats nice of you to offer! :D

Today is the day I go to Aquarium World!!

I'm in the market for some great plants for my 10 gallon... Hoping to find some.

Also, I will shopping for some rare fish to also put in my 10 gallon. This would in addition to the 6 green neon tetras. I know in past threads people recommended sparkling gouramis, but I'm curious of any other...

Any ideas as to what I can add?? Something rare of course!

Also, what kind if shrimp would be compatible?

I was told in the past, Tiger shrimp, RCS, and CRS would be great additions. Once I choose which to get, how many can be supported?

As for adding more fish, I think I could add 3 sparkiling or croaking gouramis. But I want to make this trip to the LFS a little adventurous... So please let me know what else to look out for!!

You could do 20 shrimp if you wanted. I wouldn't go with something as pricey as CRS for your first time keeping shrimp. I wouldn't go with anything expensive at all until you're sure the fish you've selected aren't going to eat them all. RCS are a great choice if you can get a decent price on them. I've often seen auctions on ebay and aquabid for them at $1 each including shipping, so don't pay too much for them at the lfs.

You could also do licorice gouramis, scarlet badis(dario dario), or clown killifish(Pseudepiplatys annulatus).

Thank you! But some devastating news..

Just looked at my 10 gallon, and found a dead tetra... I tested the water, and I suspect Nitrite poisoning. Came up out of no where. I'm in the process of pwc, hopefully I can save the others!!

So I'm postponing my trip to the LFS until things are stable.

Just a note, be careful with scarlet badis. I have heard very consistently that lots of people have a super hard time getting them to eat anything but live food. :) If you do find any of these rarer fish, I suggest you ask the store what they are eating and if possible, ask to see them eat. :)

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that!

Well it would be great to have a 1:1 sex ratio, but I'm guessing that's going to be impossible. Females are really hard to find. Atleast 3 males would be fine in there, as long as as it is planted and they can take a break from eachother if things get intense. They will have some little battles, but mine have never damaged eachother.

I've purchased my scarlet badis from atleast a couple different sources, and I've been lucky enough that I haven't had feeding issues with them. I have noticed they prefer to eat in the dark, so I feed right before lights out. I have also noticed them nibbling on snail eggs quite a bit, so I would say some pond snails/ramshorns in their tank is not a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom