10gal tank with fishies, just found this site, cycle/general questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
;) I'm a girl.

And nah, I doubt she'll ever find this forum because she thinks the internet is evil. Pretty much why she doubts it in the first place. I mean, these aren't my favorite fish (wanted neons...but now glad I got a "hardier" fish, even though they'll transfer out eventually even if I have to do it in the middle of the frickin night), but they're fish, and they're animals, and they have a right to live and have a good quality life. And I want to make a good, safe home for the rest of my fish.

Her 29 is about as far along as my 10, if that - hers hasn't progressed as far.

I'll pick up a 2-gallon bucket at dollar tree tomorrow on the way home from school, or before school, or whatever. Again, something else she doesn't pay attention to...Gods (no offense), if everything here is true, I'll be surprised if she doesn't kill my fish. Or her fish.

And I use the Aqueon that came with my tank...we also have the tetra-safe stuff. Is the Prime something I could find at like Petsmart? I'm really, really short on cash at this point, and...ugh. This is hard...

It's seachum prime, at petco and petsmart yes, it is a bit more expensive then some dechlorinators, but worth it, super concentrated, don't worry about it right now just maybe get it next time you guys need a new bottle. Water changes are your best bet. Don't worry about adding anything for the ammonia but fresh water :)

;) I'm a girl.

And nah, I doubt she'll ever find this forum because she thinks the internet is evil. Pretty much why she doubts it in the first place. I mean, these aren't my favorite fish (wanted neons...but now glad I got a "hardier" fish, even though they'll transfer out eventually even if I have to do it in the middle of the frickin night), but they're fish, and they're animals, and they have a right to live and have a good quality life. And I want to make a good, safe home for the rest of my fish.

You go girl (y) lol

I'm such an oddball, but then again, my dream job is working as a marine mammal trainer, so I guess it comes along with the package. Now to take a deep breath and stop freaking out over being a bad fish mommy since I'm not obsessively monitoring everything.

Chin up, Nohika. =D Aquasafe is just as good as Prime, so don't worry if you can't afford Prime.

Also, if you make sure with a thermometer that the water you're adding is the same temp as the water in your tank, you shouldn't have to worry about stressing the fish too much.

It looks like it was a little hotter...Mom was kind of rushing, so I didn't...really get a chance to check, etc. But it's still in the safe range...I'm keeping a really close eye on my tank, the fishes, etc.

I'm...just going to have to do this on my own. And...it's depressing, I guess. Can't trust my Mom...

So far we're using the Aqueon stuff that came with my kit, but we have tetra for when we're done with that...I really don't use much, since my whole tank only requires 5mL.

Deep breaths...I need to actually do homework (haha...hahaha) and then test all my kit-stuffs in order to get a decent "range", and then make up my excel sheet...

I'm really sorry that you're so stressed. I bet it's hard. But you're doing the right thing.

That's what helps [that I'm doing the right thing]. :) It's not just the fish, I'm during my "finals" week where everything is due at once. Fighting with my mother over everything just compounds it, plus a good friend passed away recently, etc.

Just trying to get everything sorted out. I just hope I'm going in the right direction...

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend... I understand the stress from finals week, though, I really do... ugh!

I think here is one of the best places to find support. Just don't let it get you down!

I started out all wrong, too, and had horrible ammonia levels (upwards of 8 ppm!!) and had to cycle and everything with the fish, on a low budget, and learning as I went.

I didn't lose any fish and now everything is okay.

im the same way i have finals too and im having to do a fish in cycle with 4 fish :( but it'll all work out when you get it cycled and introduce the new fish to their home and you'll whatch them more then your tv!

I think we're about in the same place, though I don't think my ammonia levels are that high...but I won't trust them until I test them myself, which I'll do tonight. I need to make a shiny sheet and everything...

Oh, and on top of that, my dad may need open heart surgery to replace a valve. Crap. Life, you SUCK.

Wow... everything at once... no kidding.

Well, I don't know if this'll mean anything to you, but I'll pray for you.

Thanks. :) One of my closest friends just said the same thing. But! My fish and my doggie (who is...nuts) are super important to me, so they get just as much consideration.

I had open heart as a baby and have a foot-long scar on my chest, so it's just a reflection of how bad my family's medical history is.

That's...wow, it reminds me that I have a lot to be thankful for.

But I'm the same way, I care about animals a lot. I even get sad thinking about the worms that die after a rain when the sidewalk dries out.

So the fish I have are like my kids.

i just saw a huge frog that was dieing so i put it in a puddle so it could die where it was born and felt really sorry for it.

ME TOO! I am super-careful about not stepping on them, etc. Thankfully I'm mostly better and have to see a cardiologist every 10 years. And I'm the same with my fish, and my puppy...I loves them, even if they're just small fish.

I move the worms in the middle of the street to the grass so they don't get stepped on. It's silly, and I hate touching them, but I don't want them to die.

I just really hope I'm doing the right thing, and sometimes it's so hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom