10gallon 4 fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to contradict a little here ...

I think you should move everyone over to the big tank right away ...

First get about 40 gallons of water in the new tank, and most of the substrate. Then dip out some water from the 10 and put it in the 50.

Then run it for a bit (hour maybe) to make sure it all works. Get the water temperatures the same (easier if you start with water that's the same temp as the 10 gallon).

Then set up a long airline tube from the 50 to the 10, start it siphoning, put a knot in the end, so it's dripping into the 10 (Google drip acclimation).

Let that go awhile and keep dipping water out of the 10 into the 50.

Then after a few hours stop the drip, dip a lot of the water from the 10 and dump it in the 50. Get all the decorations out, get the water level really low so it's easy to catch fish.

At some point try to move the substrate too, it's got beneficial bacteria on it.

Then net the fish out, and get the rest of the water from the 10 into the 40. And move the filter over, run it side by side with your new big filter.

Your fish would be experiencing a 75% water change, for all intents and purposes. And a little airplane trip into a new and bigger and cleaner home. And most of your existing BB come too.

There's absolutely no good reason to let them keep suffering in the 10. No reason to cycle first, move second. You're partly cycled, cycling a new tank requires an ammonia source and a BB source. You've got both in your 10.

You'll want to follow instructions for fish-in cycling, from there. You're basically partway through a fish in cycle, starting a fishless just keeps sad for longer.

Again, no reason to make the fish sit in a dirty cramped tank watching a clean one for weeks across the room.

Use the API test kit with all the little liquid bottles, and Prime, and water changes. And your larger tank will get itself cycled quickly.

Then fill out existing schools, and rehome fish not suited to a 50/55.

The simple guide to freshwater aquariums by Boruchowitz is a great book, available cheap used or as an ebook. It's cycling instructions would serve you well, along with its stocking schemes.

And stick around here and learn and enjoy!

(You asked about experience before ... I've been keeping fish for 22 months ... Badly for 8 months, but for the past 14 I've had zero fish illnesses, algae outbreaks, or fish loss due to incompatibility or water conditions).

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I'm going to contradict a little here ...

I think you should move everyone over to the big tank right away ...

First get about 40 gallons of water in the new tank, and most of the substrate. Then dip out some water from the 10 and put it in the 50.

Then run it for a bit (hour maybe) to make sure it all works. Get the water temperatures the same (easier if you start with water that's the same temp as the 10 gallon).

Then set up a long airline tube from the 50 to the 10, start it siphoning, put a knot in the end, so it's dripping into the 10 (Google drip acclimation).

Let that go awhile and keep dipping water out of the 10 into the 50.

Then after a few hours stop the drip, dip a lot of the water from the 10 and dump it in the 50. Get all the decorations out, get the water level really low so it's easy to catch fish.

At some point try to move the substrate too, it's got beneficial bacteria on it.

Then net the fish out, and get the rest of the water from the 10 into the 40. And move the filter over, run it side by side with your new big filter.

Your fish would be experiencing a 75% water change, for all intents and purposes. And a little airplane trip into a new and bigger and cleaner home. And most of your existing BB come too.

There's absolutely no good reason to let them keep suffering in the 10. No reason to cycle first, move second. You're partly cycled, cycling a new tank requires an ammonia source and a BB source. You've got both in your 10.

You'll want to follow instructions for fish-in cycling, from there. You're basically partway through a fish in cycle, starting a fishless just keeps sad for longer.

Again, no reason to make the fish sit in a dirty cramped tank watching a clean one for weeks across the room.

Use the API test kit with all the little liquid bottles, and Prime, and water changes. And your larger tank will get itself cycled quickly.

Then fill out existing schools, and rehome fish not suited to a 50/55.

The simple guide to freshwater aquariums by Boruchowitz is a great book, available cheap used or as an ebook. It's cycling instructions would serve you well, along with its stocking schemes.

And stick around here and learn and enjoy!

(You asked about experience before ... I've been keeping fish for 22 months ... Badly for 8 months, but for the past 14 I've had zero fish illnesses, algae outbreaks, or fish loss due to incompatibility or water conditions).

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

What do you mean substrate? Is that the filter?
And what do you mean by rehome fish not suited for 50/55.
I was thinking leaving the 10 gallon for the guppies. What you guys think?

Sent from my KFTT using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What do you mean substrate? Is that the filter?
And what do you mean by rehome fish not suited for 50/55.
I was thinking leaving the 10 gallon for the guppies. What you guys think?

Substrate is a fancy term for your sand/gravel. On the contrary I'm a personal believer that in *freshwater* very little BB is housed in the sand/gravel compared to your filter.

Just from watching my guppies, I would keep them in less than a 20 because they are always active and darting about my 45g. Some will disagree that a 10g is fine.

IMO I'd house them all in the new bigger tank. Wash your substrate if you so choose since you have the opportunity. Can't remember if you have gravel or sand but I'm biased to sand. I find it easier to clean and just overall looks better. Plus bottom feeders really enjoy it more than the rough feeling of gravel.

Caleb

I have gravel, I don't really want the guppies in the new tank since I might want to get a sorority of female bettas.

I would work with what you have before getting even more fish. If you don't like what you have take them back..

Caleb

You right, I'm just Little to excited about the tank.

You right, I'm just Little to excited about the tank.

I was saying that from experience. I got myself into hot water one time because I wanted more fish and it didn't work :D

Caleb

Thanks for looking out

Yeah if I didn't already make that clear cycle the fish in the larger tank.

What I've always heard is that BB (beneficial bacteria) live on surfaces of the tank, so mostly the filter but also substrate and rocks, etc.

Yeah if I didn't already make that clear cycle the fish in the larger tank.

What I've always heard is that BB (beneficial bacteria) live on surfaces of the tank, so mostly the filter but also substrate and rocks, etc.

I believe it's on other surfaces, just not near enough to make a significant impact.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom