110 african cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JraGold

Aquarium Advice Freak
I set my 110 gallon up about a month ago. It's fully cycled and has had my cichlids in there for a week now. I used crushed coral as the substrate ( I rinsed the stuff forever) and even still the water is slightly cloudy and there is a cloudy sediment floating on top of the water.
Parameters are ammonia 0, trite 0, trate 10, ph 7,6
Filtration is 2 Rena xp3's and a fluval 404. Kinda overkill on that which is why I'm bothered by the cloudiness. Also have a power head for more circulation.

Any suggestions how to clear it up?

How long has the crushed coral been in there? Since you started the cycle?

Do you think the "super micro filtration" pads from Rena would help? I Just have the micro in them right now ( and all the other media). And filter floss in the 404

That's weird that's lots of filtration. I have an xp3 and xp4 on my 72 with all the sponges and bio media and some purigen in place of the zorb and waters very clear with the exception of an hr or so after feeding. The super pads only cut the flow down I noticed no benefit and only use the micro one. Even with the zorb it looked good. I forget if u said you rinsed the sand well? In my other tank I initially used caribsea live marine sand which was really fine and it wouldn't clear. I eventually took it all out and redid with more coarse pool filter sand. Huge difference.

Good luck. Sorry I don't have any better tips for you

Ya I rinsed it really well. Or so I thought! I also have pack of bio Chem zorb in one of the Renas as well.

On a side note, beautiful cichlids. Is that a lemon jake?

I have a just a 404 on a 90 and my tank is crystal clear all the time .. try doing a big water change and use a platic lid to dump the water on as your filling it so the water don't stir anything up at all I also let the water run over my hand before it even gets to the lid so it spreads out .

Ya that's just it! I was using the same 404 on my 65 gallon previously and it was crystal clear all the time! I've been doing small water changes off the top trying to clear it up and it hasn't worked. I will certainly try that though! Thanks!

I would take the water Down as far as you can when you do that just be careful not to stir anything up and dont stress your fish... I would do a 80% change

Nah, don't do that! You will still end up with the same result. You should just add filter floss to the filters and it will clear out the fine particles that the sponges won't catch.

Malawimaddness is right. Removing too much water can cause the fish to go into shock from the temp change

I have filter floss in the fluval 404, and renas micro filtration pads in both xp3's...

Before you decide to remove 80% of your fishys life, try to do a sand vacuum. It should remove most of the particles that settle on the bottom of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom