120 Long Tank! (Build Thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New guy in the tank!

I went to the store looking forward to buying a One Spot Fox Face! I was disappointed because no store had one! Two stores and not one! I felt defeated and just wanted a new fish! So on impulses I bought my new friend!

I wanted another Clown Fish, so I got a Black Clown Fish! Got home and acclimated him for about 30 mins (Drip). Now he is swimming with the other fishes! LOL

I also had to rearrange my rock work, it fell! So I also got that putty stuff that binds the rock together so it won't fall again. It's not too different than how I had it set up before, but now it's not going to fall! LOL

Attachments

• IMG_6925.jpg
    IMG_6925.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 159
Should I go with some Cleaner Wrasses a little later down the road?

Once I get my tank stocked to where I want, would putting in one cleaner wrasse be a good idea? I know they can be difficult to care for, but if I got 10 tank mates the wrasse should have plenty of food, don't you think? Plus it will eat what I put into the tank.

I don't need to feed the fish three times a day right? Why do all the websites say this? Most of the fish I got in there now say to feed three times a day. I only feed once a day and they seem happy and picking the live rock all day. I am honestly thinking of setting some live rock down in my sump and adding pods in. Would the pump just suck them up and into the main tank when they get over populated? How does it work when growing pods, and can it be done in a wet dry set up?

Can I even keep a cleaner wrasse with another wrasse in my tank? I got the Lyretail Wrasse already. I just think it would be a good idea to keep parasites off my other fish.

Get some cleaner shrimp instead easier to care for and do a better job IMO Pods are easy to grow in your sump and ad another food source, a small rock pile or a clump of cheato for them to breed in is all you'll need Or you can do what i do and toss a pair of molly's in your sump they breed like crazy

Won't the puffer eat the shrimp? I have many things that I want but l am limited thanks to my stock. LoL

I was thinking maybe an rose tip anemone for my clown (if he does host)! I was just thinking my puffer would eat it.

Yea, that's why I was thinking putting pods in my sump and waiting a few months to add cleaner wrasses one or two. I just don't know if they would fight one another or the other wrasse would fight.

I am going to risk a rose bubble anemone. I talked to many people and they think the puffer will leave it alone. Being it's an anemone and not coral. If the clown host it, it would be even better as both would protect the other.

Cleaner wrasse are very hard to keep, they need to be fed 3-4 x a day or kept in an over stocked tank so they can get enough to eat. They are peaceful for the most part. I'd try the nem as i think the puffer would ignore it

I was only wanting 11 fish, plus the cleaner wrasse for a total of 12. Do you think that 11 fish would be enough for him to be able to live?

Hard to say. We strive to keep our tanks so clean that there's very little chance of parasites for it to feed on. If you get one make sure it's eating frozen foods bloodworms/shrimp, things like that this way he has a chance.

I just wish I could get a cleaner skunk shrimp, but I love my puffer to much. LoL

A quick update. It's been about two weeks now, and so far so good. I am about to do my first water change tomorrow. I am going to have to clean all of my filters and replace the filter pad in the wet/dry because of all the Sand that was in the tank.

The weird thing is, I had green hair algae growing on my glass on top of my tank. It was the middle glass tank brace. I was about to clean it, but now it's just gone. There was a ton, but now it's just gone. I can't figure out why, or if my fish ate it.

I had to rearrange the rock work because it all fell over. So I used the coral putty to bind the rocks together. No more rocks falling over! I hope everything continues down the successful path!

I have one yellow and one yellow eye tang.

I was thinking they ate it as well, but it took them a few days to find it.

Baron could you post a detailed post about how to make the canopy

Tate

I did not build the hood. It was a used tank. The hood was already made. If you go back to my earlier post you can see a detailed description on how I restored everything.

Update time!

It's been about a month now, and two more tank mates latter!

I just ordered a Singapore Angelfish off of liveaquaira! I am worried because it's the fist time I have ordered a fish off a website and according to everyone, it's the best place to order from! So I am hoping this will work out! I know they can be scared and not acclimate well, so here is hoping the fish will work out!

I added a little more rock I got for 6 dollars at petco! It's the white rock on the right hand side. Not much more rock, but enough to add a few more small caves and places to swim though and explore.

As you can tell on my glass, I am going though my diatom algae bloom. :-/ I have been cleaning it off the glass. All my readings are Zero so I am assuming the bloom is eating the excess nutrients. I am using RO/DI water witch reads 0TDS.

I am hopping it's just the growing pains of a month old tank. Still, all of my fish are doing swimmingly. LOL I am going to do a water change tomorrow and clean the glass off. I think I might cut back on the lights as well for a few days. right now I have them on at 10am till 9pm.

Attachments

• IMG_5470.jpg
    IMG_5470.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 96
Here is what it looks like clean! I cleaned it tonight!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399073037.330386.jpg

Looking good LA is a good place to get livestock from they QT all there fish a min.of 30 days before they sell them

Thanks Grizz!

I want to set up a small QT tank, but right now I am risking adding all my fish in. That is the next step.

The rock I got was cheap fossil rock from pet smart. It was on the clearance rack for 6 bucks. I think its around 10 pounds, so I couldn't pass it up. All I had to do was rinse it off and put it into my tank. All of my live rock will seed it soon. So I am not worried.

I am just praying the Singapore Angel will take to my tank. A lot of people said they never had problems with them. The only reason it's listed difficult to care for is because a small amount can go into hiding and never eat, but mostly 99% of them do fine without issue. So I am hopping! LOL

Back
Top Bottom