120 Long Tank! (Build Thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update.

Tank is doing fine! Just wanted to let everyone know, I now have a Job at PetSmart as the pet care manager. Hope that I can do a good job and get my store to a higher standard.

Beautiful little girl you have there, congratulations!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks. I will be posting pic's of my tank up soon.

Well, here is my tank as is right now.

As you can tell I have been going though my Bloom. :-/ I have been doing 20% water changes every two weeks. Everything reads fine, so I take it the Diatom Algae is eating the nitrates. My lights are on till 10:30am to 9:30pm, and it's a four bulb system. Should I run my lights for less for a while?

Besides the nasty bloom, everything has been going swimmingly! Every fish I transferred is alive and kicking and doing well! They have all gotten much bigger as well. They seem so much happier with their new system! I still want to add two more fish, but I don't know which! I figure I would wait until the Diatom Algae dies down. I would like another Flame HawkFish!

Just for the heck of it, I posted my a pic of my little ten gallon! I am actually converting it over to a planted tank. I don't like the rocks, but my wife does so they stay. :p At least I am going to be able to take out all the nasty plastic plants.

Attachments

• IMG_5031.jpg
    IMG_5031.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_8829.jpg
    IMG_8829.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_9983.jpg
    IMG_9983.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 101
Diatoms eat silica they will burn them self's out soon. Hawkfish are so cool. Tell your wife the rocks in the ten just gotta go. :hide:

Hahah, no the rocks stay. I wouldn't want to take them out anyway. :p

I do love how the fish seem more alive when you put live plants in. I also think Moss Balls are God's Gift to the fresh Water community, but that's just me. I am going to get one more live plant and two silk plants. I only got enough light on one side of the tank and the other is low light for my dwarf Gourami. Being they light lower light settings.

I hope my Diatoms die out soon, I am sick of it. It's been about two months now. :-/ I know it can take a real long time. The sad part is, it was just starting to die out in my 55 gallon when I moved everything to the 120. LOL

Is their any type of plant that my fish wouldn't eat, that I could put into my tank to help with the Diatoms? Wouldn't a plant eat the same thing and kill out the other? The issue is, all of my fish will eat anything I put into my tank almost. :p

There isn't anything that will consume diatoms besides them starving themselves out. There is media that says it removes silicates, but can't say if it is effective or not. One thing is for certain, is that they will die out eventually like you said.

What do you have for a CUC? I'd put about 100 cerith snails in there they will clean the rocks and stir the sand.

My issue is with any CUC is my fish eating them. I have a long spines sea urchin and that's it. I do have hermit crabs, but I think they died or were eating. Honestly I do see a few running around at night still, which is can't believe are still alive. LoL

Ah the cerith's are small (1/4 in.) Harder for the fish to find lol. They tend to hide in the sand then feed at night Great cleaners

I will look Into them! Thanks!

I got good news and bad news.

First the bad. My Singapore Angel Fish died! I don't know how or why, it just died. It was eating and healthy looking. I watched the fish the day it died for an hour, swimming and eating, I than go upstairs and coming back down in about 45 mins. He was on the sand bed with his back arched and bowed. I moved him to a hospital tank to try and get him to recover and he died in the hospital tank. :-( One guy told me it might have been a parasite that was dormant in the fish and just activated, killing my fish almost instantly. All of my other fish are fine and healthy looking. I am now treating the tank with Garlic and I am going to do a water change soon. (I am working and I need to find time to do one, got the water made already).

The GOOD news! My Diatoms bloom seems to be dieing now! My water is becoming crystal clear now and it's awesome! It just sucks that my fish had to die the day before it becomes crystal clear. I am wondering if that has anything to do with it?

Aww well, besides the death everything looks good!

I guess the bright side to it all, I can put more fish in now. :-/ Still that Angel Fish was awesome and it took me a long time to find one. :-(

Below is a before and after pic of my tank! You can see all the brown on my rocks, and now it's almost all gone! YEAH!!

I also put a picture of my angel fish on his last legs, MAYBE you guys can see something I didn't and tell me why it died?

Attachments

• IMG_8829.jpg
    IMG_8829.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3410.jpg
    IMG_3410.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_9267.jpg
    IMG_9267.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 97
Ok, I have had a BAD week! Three fish have died on me. I am going today to get another water test and see if there is anything I am missing. I did my own water testing and everything is fine! That's why I don't understand the outbreak of ICH I got.

My yellow eye tang is dead, and my blue spotted Toby puffer is dead. My angel passed two weeks ago.

I went out and got Dr. smith medicated caviar. It's suppose to help with internal parasites and ICH. Cost me 20 bucks for this food! LoL.

I have been using garlic to soak food in, and I am feeding with the medicated food. I use flakes and pellets. I was told that I should feed some flakes everyday and than for a 2nd feeding pellets and meaty foods. They say flakes contain a lot more nutrition for a healthy fish.

All of my other fish have no spots on them. So I hope that I can keep them healthy for 6 to 7 weeks and I can add newer fish in.

I am getting rid of my long spine sea urchin. I like him, but he is huge! Takes up too much swim space! LoL. He will be missed, but he needs a bigger tank and one where my fish won't run into him. That could be stressing my fish out to the point they get ICH right there?? Who knows. Again, I am going to go to a more experienced aquarist than I for water testing.

looking at your pics the fish dont look crowded I would add more rock to make more hiding places that will reduce stress levels. Losing fish sux, sorry for your loss.

Even more rock? LoL there is so much already that I am scared of overcrowding the tank with rock.

I am going to take the urchin out.

Also my water tested perfect in three different fish stores. So I knew I was right about my water. I might lower my salinity. It's at 1.25 right now, I will drop it to 1.22.

I want to add a few things of coral, but not much. Three things at most to see if they would be ok. Just low light easy corals. LoL. Maybe a clam? Being my puffer died I don't think anything would eat it in my tank?

Back
Top Bottom