120 Stout Tanganyikan stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok HUKIT, I found a brand new 120 gallon on Craigslist for $550 (the 125 gallon in the store I was looking at was $1000, although I know I could find cheaper). This is a 60x18x30. Do you think a 5 footer would be good enough for the stock list that we talked about?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I do like the extra height when compared to the 125g and it would certainly work with your stock list but I'd still prefer a six footer. Plus finding a 60" light seems to be more difficult? That's why I prefer the 150g to a 125g since I like that extra six inches of height.

The price is great too! What does it all come with and what type of stand?

Factory type stand (black)
Light
Glass lids

Never used

So I should try and jump on it?

The guy did send me pictures via text and the tank looks legit and pristine. Guy has to move and cant bring the tank he bought a bit ago

So I should try and jump on it?

The guy did send me pictures via text and the tank looks legit and pristine. Guy has to move and cant bring the tank he bought a bit ago

I always know it's the right purchase if I don't have any doubts, if there is any I would pass. But keep in mind as soon as you buy that one a better deal is going to come up, it never fails.

If your hot for a tank it is a good deal when compared to prices locally here too.

Oh without fail I'll find a 6 foot tank dirt cheap afterwards.

My main issue is the lack of a filter in the setup. I only have an old fluval 405 (that was leaking last time I used it) and an AC110 or two. Don't see many ads on Craigslist for just an fx5 (and I'm not sure one would fit under the cabinet) or other large canister

Can you post a picture?

With regards to the filter that can come later as your bioload won't be huge since you'll be buying the fish relatively small to start.

Rapps has wild caught adult uaru amphianthancoides "rio tapajos" ;) waiting on him to post that price. He also has g. Stergiosi

Rapps has wild caught adult uaru amphianthancoides "rio tapajos" ;) waiting on him to post that price. He also has g. Stergiosi

Nice, he also has C. regani "Tapajos" and the fish that caught my eye, Dicrossus sp. Tapajos(listed as maculatus from Rio Tapajos)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Both are on my list of potential fish. I noticed them as well ;)

I'm thinking:
2 uaru amphicanthoides
6 guianacara stergiosi
1 pair of either the regani tapajos or dicrossus sp. tapajos
18 tetra (undecided, probably lemon, but open to a better alternative)
And then a shoal of some Cory species or hoplo or porthole cats

I'm thinking:
2 uaru amphicanthoides
6 guianacara stergiosi

The inside will consist of a single large piece of Malaysian driftwood I still have (eventually I want manzanita, but will try to not buy the unnecessary things until later on) and will collect some large blue shale (may be a different type of rock, but it looks similar to blue shale) from some tributaries of the Potomac river

I'm thinking:
2 uaru amphicanthoides
6 guianacara stergiosi

Columbian Tetras may be nice, they're pretty cool and fair sized. Not to mention look better than lemons IMO.

Correction, I forgot that D. maculatus is native to the Tapajos so it may not be sp. Tapajos. I'm still digging through pdf files for the Tapajos survey, I did however find Rio Xingu and Pantanal.

Corydoras ornatus is natinve to the Tapajos.

Columbian Tetras may be nice, they're pretty cool and fair sized. Not to mention look better than lemons IMO.

Unfortunately not from the Rio Tapajos, but I'm searching for a better alternative.

Unfortunately not from the Rio Tapajos, but I'm searching for a better alternative.

Guianacara aren't Rio Tapajos, they're venezuelan, so I already kind of broke the strictness lol unless I switched out the guianacara for geophagus sp. Tapajo, however, they get much larger and are more common

Back
Top Bottom