125 FOWLR take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sniperhank said:
Pods in the fuge. Damsels fed to something large and predatory.

Lol is it bad that i really thought about feeding them to something?? I just want someone to take them.

haven't updated in awhile so here goes. WP40 is performing wonderfully. I think the intial stress from the yellow tang experience had made the purple tang sick (noticed a whitish powder on her body) so I first removed the purple for about 1.5 weeks. treated with copper. got her back to health and had to add her to the tank again because I believe the confines of the 10g qt tank were slightly adding to her stress. shes been eating like a crazed lunatic and been active since adding back in. only downside? im back to square one with the yellow/purple tang relationship. so as of this moment the yellow is now in the 10g, along with the mandarin and damsels. mandarin is going back in the dt tn and the yellow will follow on Monday, when im off work. the BM curve 7 skimmer is getting better and better every week. the color and smell of the skimmate is getting darker and worse with each cleaning. I am planning on adding the auto cleaning neck feature here soon. I have also glued each individual coral to its own little rock, in the hopes that I can get them to spread onto the rock. oh and lastly, I ordered 2 6500k bulbs for my dt. (im only running 2 bulbs atm. I discussed it with a few other hobbyists, including my friend that gave me the corals, and we are in agreeance that 4-96w PC bulbs should sufficiently light these particular frags. as an added step, I will be positioning these frags about 75% up towards the top, if they were to begin bleaching (which prob isn't going to happen) ill move them down.

after reading another thread on here, ive decided that tonight im going to record 2 videos. the first will be of my yellow tang in the 125. the second will be of the same exact yellow tang in the 10g qt tank. im tired of seeing people severely neglect a fishes minimum tank requirement. so this video will go to show exactly what happens to a fish when its in a severely undersized tank. there is clearly a huge change in behavior and I want to record it

There would be a huge change in your behavior if you were locked up in a tiny space. Add an aggressive cell mate and your stress level would spike.

oh without a doubt. however ive also noticed that we really don't have any visual proof of an obvious change in behavior when a fish is stuck in an undersized tank. perhaps if we had a short video to clearly show the difference, some hobbyists would be inclined to do the right thing and house their fish in a properly sized tank. I got a 1:00 (one minute) video of the yellow in the 10g right before I put him in the 125 again. purple started bullying the yellow upon sight of him, however the yellow is a bit bigger so I think he can handle his own. I will get a video of the yellow whenever everything calms down.

ugh..im so sick of this. prob going to lose the yellow tang. they had been going back and forth throughout the night, but I noticed this morning that both were alive and swimming fine. even threw in an algae sheet to see if it would calm them down, they ate together fine. then what happens?? I take my son to school, come home and cant find the yellow.... finally I found him face first wedged up against a rock. so I use a net to move him. hes still alive but kind of just comatose. theres no visible damage other than a fin nip or two. so I moved the yellow back into the 10 for right now. IF he makes it through the day, im going to take the purple out, keep them in separate 10g tanks for 2 days. then re-add them. at this point I cant seem to get them to coexist again. I thought that because the purple is considerably smaller, that having homefield advantage would even the odds but it seems that the yellow was out of the tank for too long. idk

yeah its just getting to be too much I think. after the flame angels and the blue face idk. just went to check on the yellow and hes dead. so now not only did I lose another fish, but I have nothing but blue/purple in the tank. no bright coloration at all. I really just want to go buy another yellow but I don't think im going to. I need to move the purple into the 10g again and then introduce them at the same time

I am sure sorry you lost the fish. Your posts indicate you are catching on. 30 years ago I started reefing, long before the internet. All I had was past FW knowledge and books. I was also pretty poor, so I started by using 55 gallon glass aquariums with HOB's. I started thinking it was impossible to have tangs without ick. I killed dozens of them before I got wise to the fact that tangs were a bit different than the other fish I was keeping. There was no Tang Police to warn me off, I would have listened to them! I hated killing those fish so much. Years later I built my 300 gallon that has now been running 23 years. The issues with ick disappeared. Happy fat tangs that are almost 10 years old was the outcome. Stress kills surgeonfish, just as fast as bad water will. In a smaller system, you are very lucky to keep one tang, much less a group of them. Just my opinion, but it's based on failing, then finally succeeding.

Last edited:
yeah its just getting to be too much I think. after the flame angels and the blue face idk. just went to check on the yellow and hes dead. so now not only did I lose another fish, but I have nothing but blue/purple in the tank. no bright coloration at all. I really just want to go buy another yellow but I don't think im going to. I need to move the purple into the 10g again and then introduce them at the same time
If you want yellow, get a yellow (canary) wrasse.

do you think that a canary wrasse would do ok with a dragon wrasse? hes only a few inches long

I have a list of aspects id likeour next fisg to have. Here they are, if you or anyone else has suggestions please let me know. It has to be warm-colored (yellow/orange/red) preferably an open water swimmer, also needs to be active. Also needs to be reef safe (or semi). As of right now the only options ive come across is another yellow tang or a lemonpeel angel. I know that housing both a yellow and a purple tang isnt the best idea or even always possible, however i had them coexisting the first time around until i was afraid the purple was getting sick. IF i do attempt another yellow, im going to remove the purple and separately qt them both, then add at the same time. Im really hesitant to try a lemonpeel because of my luck with the flame angels

new bulbs should be here later today! hopefully before work. I have Thursday and Friday off, thought about resealing my old 125 and selling it. (would help to pay for the led lighting)

ugh the problems! lights were on my porch this morning when I got up. decided (after a quick run to help the grandparents out) that I wanted to put the lights in. first bulb, plug it in....nothing....great. so I try a different plug, it lights up. apparently I either loosened a wire or the plug went bad. which sucks because its not a plug that I can cut and rewire. heck I don't even know if I can buy a new one. so now I am tearing the fixture apart in an attempt to fix it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom