180g South American cichlid build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeafsFan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, my dream tank is finally about to begin its life. I bought a 180g tank on boxing day and being delivered in a week or so. Just need to finish a few minor adjustments to my bar and the cycling begins.

Now for the first few set of questions.

Would pool filter sand work with cichlids? With the amount of substrate I would need, I wouldn't mind using this if feasible.

I really want to get some convicts as well but the lfs told me to stay away cause they reproduce too much. Would the other cichlids not pick off the fry as they venture out?

Lastly, I would assume clown loaches would satisfactory for bottom dwellers. .. I plan on having lots of rock and driftwood for hiding.

I am sure I will have many more questions as they come. Feel free to throw out ideas or even concepts I might have over looked as someone new to cichlids.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Man I'm following on this one!

Pool sand is perfect, especially because with 180 pounds of sand, well that's a lot of money!
How long and wide is the tank, therefore I can see how many clown loaches can be there
Sounds great!

6ft x 2ft x2ft. The lfs was trying to convince me pool filter sand was a poor choice, but I assume that is the business man inside him talking.

Most cichlids are very protective so they would keep the fry close together for the first few months. Convict cichlids are beautiful but they do reproduce often.

hold on.... your getting a 180 gallon tank and want to put convicts in there? Get out there and find something better to put in there. Do you want a community or a big bad, but beautiful pair of something?

Next question, I was told live plants are not the best idea for cichlids. Should I just go with some fake ones.

You could do live plants but would be a limited selection like ferns or anubias I think

What about cycling. What would be the easiest method to cycling a tank this size? I am not in a rush to cycle it fast, I want everything done right from the beginning. I know I have read on the salt water forms they sometimes use fresh shrimp and let it deteriorate. Could that work?

I bought an eheim pro 3. Should I take the filter pads and let them sit in my current tank to build up bb?

I would seed the pads like you said in your established tank, or take some material out of those filters and stick them in the eheim that would work better

If you would dose ammonia and put a filter you have on the other tank on the new, that help a whole lot

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had plants with many South Americans. Severum, firemotuh, uaru, geos, jacks...maybe a couple more, drawing a blank. But they all destroyed plants. The only plants that would even kind of work were anubias and java fern. The java they would try to eat and just spit out.

With plants, it depends. You can definitely try them. My cichlids (JD, Nicaruagan, GT) never touched the live plants I had with one exception. When one would build a nest and dig out gravel, just uprooted and floated the plant. I would tie it down again just outside where the hole was being dug and it wasn't touched again. Made their hole a little more secluded and helped keep their territories separated.

I would also avoid convicts as they breed like rabbits. Do you have any idea what region of cichlids your interested in as it's too wide ranging to give advice until you can narrow it down a bit. South American, central American, Malawi, tanganyankian, victorian,West African.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry just noticed the title south American oops. Do you want a big pair or more smaller cichlids ?

Prefer smaller to have more fish in the tank. I have been contemplating Oscars, but I want there to be done quantity in the tank.

Still waiting for it to be delivered, it is killing me!

Fishkeeping taught me patience nothing else ever did. All the best things are worth waiting for.

Back
Top Bottom