180g South American cichlid build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like I am getting it finally in the next two days.

Started seeding the filter pads in my current tank.

Next question. Is the Eheim pro 3 1200xl good for the tank?

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would say that your filter will be good, you can always add like an ac110 to it if you feel your not getting enough filtration. If you are going to with african mbuna and want to overstock id suggest adding a little more filtration to it.

I have a coupon the expires tomorrow for big als. Not sure if the tank is coming now until next week.

I was curious if you guys think it age to temporarily put some baby South Americans with my rams in my 40G tank for about a week some I can cash in on the coupon.

Finally after many delays I have the tank in place. At least the lfs gave me a gift card for the constant set backs.

So now I want to add pool filter sand as my substrate. Any advice to the best method to do so? I know I have to clean it. Should I put it in the tank prior to filling it? I assume that would be the easiest.

Here is a pic of tank in its new home.

Attachments

• 1390602310139.jpg
    1390602310139.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 175
Yes rinse it well and out it in. When filling w water out a dinner plate on top of sand and add water on top of plate w hose or buckets. It keeps sand from stirring and clouding tank too badly.

What's the stocking plan! This is awesome. I want a tank that big! Wife put limit at 90 gallon!

I want one that big too! My only concern is i want too many fish that cant live toether. Cant wait to see your tank? Whats going in??

LOL my wife has decorated the whole house with me not saying a word. So when I told her what I was doing with the basement, she didn't have much she could say :p

I am going to start cleaning the sand tomorrow. I need to find a good assortment of fair size rocks too, to build up in the tank. Slate plates... or medium size boulders, which would look better? Cheaper? Going to buy some fake plants too, and the wife wants this big pirate ship from the LFS... sigh... gotta pick my battles.

Stocking keeps changing in my mind. It is a big tank, so I want some quantity in there. I do have 2 Firemouths to start the cycling with. I might use my platties as well just to have some quantity on the cycling process. I have been seeding the filter pads and the media.

I like Convicts a lot. not sure how well they will work. I am open to idea's. The LFS guy that dropped the tank told me to get him a list and he will order whatever I want.

Convicts are a dime a dozen! They will reproduce like crazy and nobody wants the fry. I do I handful of big fish and then a few different schools of fish. What do u think of severums? I love the turquoise and the super red one!

Don't know why but I love the look of convicts. Will look into severums.

Not interested in African really. Maybe a Lake Tanganyka biotope.

I like the south American concept because my dream pave to travel is to Costa Rica and do the rain forest thing. I love the Amazon.

Convicts are sweet and have great personality. I had 3 electric blue dempsey's and they were cool. If you want aggressive, try a green terror, fire mouth, or red devil. Good luck!

I have lots of convicts. I love them most the time. They breed like crazy so my suggestion is don't save the fry, let them do there thing and usually one or two survive. If not there will be more very shortly. Also, I'm assuming you already washed the sand, but if not place it in a pillow case and rinse it! Works wonders for rinsing!

Convicts for sure I am gonna add.

Just finished putting the sand in and filled it a bit to keep it most. Somehow in all my excitement I forgot to buy a heater lol. So I will get one tomorrow along with some fake plants.

Gonna go to a local quarry and grab rock whenever the temp outside is not -15.

Lfs suggested a powerhead for the opposite side of the filters. Good idea?

Here is an updated pic.

Attachments

• 1390964072992.jpg
    1390964072992.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 115
Some severums are nice. I could look at adding some. I don't like parrot fish or any of the cichlids that have cranium bumps.

Depends on your rock work. A powerhead will just stir up the water so the gunk goes to the filter. If you notice it's staying at the other side then I'd buy one... You don't want the water to rough though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom