194G IPI tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leftyfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It will be a few weeks before my tank gets here as it is getting made now by Innovative Plastics.

I did a lot of research in designing the tank based on what I liked and did not like on my existing tank and the cube I had before.

The major thing would have to be sound, I hate the overflow durso standpipe setup on my tank now and the lack of a safety feature if it was to be clogged. So the new tank has what is called a coast to coast overflow the entire length of the tank 72". This creates a large area for surface skimming.

The overflow box is 72"x 4"wide x 6" deep. It will have three 1.5" bulkheads, that will run what is known as a Silent and Fail Safe Overflow System:
http://beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

I decided on acrylic because of the weight and I hate that you can not get rid of scratches in glass. It also insulates better than glass. I went with 1/2" acrylic and made the tank 2" taller than a standard 180, therefore bringing it to 194 gallons in the display. Yes, acrylic scratches, so does glass.

So that is all about the tank. The sump is being made by IPI as well. It will be 48x16x18. I will keep it under the tank for now.

I plan on putting the rocks in with fiberglass rods and some kind of mortar, not sure what to use for that. Also wondering how many days it is going to take to make 250 gallons of saltwater! I plan to make it in the tank.

Mechanical:
I plan to keep and use my water blaster 3000hy pump for return.
I purchased two used koralia magnum 6 pumps and a wave maker. I have one running now on my 72 (sold the mp40) and it is way too powerful, so I have it turned down.
Got a SR Octopus3000 skimmer, Tunze osmoregulator ATO (using on 72 now), JBJ true temp titanium heater and controller.
Will move over my AI Sol's from the 72.

Some more on my cycling/moving plan soon...

Thanks Mike.

So after having the 72 running since buying used in May, I am noticing some nuisance algae that I don't want to transfer to the new tank. The plan is to get the new tank cycled with rock and sand, transfer the fish 2 at a time every week, 2 weeks for the tang and foxface (still n QT with copper). Then move all corals into a QT, and eliminate any pest algae that pops up. Once I'm not seeing any algae, move the corals a few ata time into DT.

Does anyone see anything wrong with my plan? Also, not sure about my clam, put it in when coral or fish go in?

I will be doing an aggressive QT for all new fish, 10 days prazipro, 3 weeks copper, then 4 more weeks of observation.

Coral will be observed for six weeks for any pests, treated with coral rx and flat worm exit before going into QT. I will use my 6 bulb t5 light for that QT.

Once coral and fish are out of 72, I will take enough rock to fill the sump up (doing minimalist aquascaping in DT) cook it in buckets first to clean it off, then let it sit outside for a few weeks in the winter then do some bleach or vinegar to clean it more, sound like I will get rid of all algae?

awesome coast to coasts are the best and skim the whole water surface that a normal overflow box does not do

Gti_Leo said:
awesome coast to coasts are the best and skim the whole water surface that a normal overflow box does not do

Yeah...I'm pretty excited. Got quotes from 4 so-called custom builders and only one ended up being custom. The others only did traditional overflows. I can't wait to see it in action!

what if you asked them to do a coast to coast, i'm sure they would have done it.

is it an external coast to coast or internal?

Gti_Leo said:
what if you asked them to do a coast to coast, i'm sure they would have done it.

is it an external coast to coast or internal?

Internal, external scares me for some unknown reason. Yep, I asked for C2C from all 4, was shocked too that they didn't do them even though they called the tanks "custom". I hope I do the plumbing okay, first time!

it never hurts to over glue the joints and to put teflon tape on the threaded ends.

at work when i run PVC conduit in outside or wet locations i often times will slather on the solvent so it oozes out os the couplings and connectors or i will use the bruse and take a swipe around the outside of the joint (i'm an electrician just so things are clear) but our solvent is clear so its not as ugly as plumbing solvent which is grey, yellow or clear/brown

Question: I'm planning on doing SPS dominate/LPS in this tank, so I can do Kalk in my ATO until that is not enough, then I switch to two part, then when that is not enough I have to think about a reactor, is this correct?

i don't see why kalk in your ATO wouldn't be enough. mrsaltwater on youtube has an SPS dominante 90g and thats how he does his. plus if you keep your weekly waterchanges you shouldnt have a problem

I almost went with a beananimal overflow on my build. The idea behind it (or at least my understanding of it) kind of scared me, so I went with a glass-holes kit. Good luck with the build!

I'm not having much success dosing kalk at its maximum satuaration in my ATO. I am probably going to 2 part next week or so. Just cant keep my calcium and alkalinity up.

Gti_Leo said:
i don't see why kalk in your ATO wouldn't be enough. mrsaltwater on youtube has an SPS dominante 90g and thats how he does his. plus if you keep your weekly waterchanges you shouldnt have a problem

Thanks Leo, I think he has reactors on that tank too, but maybe not calcium? I guess what happens, maybe what Carey is having happen, there is a point when you evap and maximum Kalk concentration in the ATO can't keep up with the calcium consumption. I think you are right though, it will be fine for now.

mfdrookie516 said:
I almost went with a beananimal overflow on my build. The idea behind it (or at least my understanding of it) kind of scared me, so I went with a glass-holes kit. Good luck with the build!

I'm so excited for the BA and coast to coast. I like failsafes and quietness! I'm hoping the plumbing part isn't too hard.

Okay, so anyone have experience with BRS dual chamber gfo/carbon reactor? I'm getting one and was thinking I would plumb it off the return with a valve. Is this way the same/better/worse than just hooking it up to a maxijet? I figured it would be one less pump I'm running and I would have better control over tumbling.

Update!! Tank should be here tomorrow!!! The freight box weighs over 600lbs, so I don't think I'll be opening it until my husband gets home.

Pictures...

Tank on stand
img_1733986_0_a82d1afaead50019849c57eef7307215.jpg

Sump
img_1733986_1_1590945b7bf2f58068e5a6c4ea435cf3.jpg

Lots of work to do!!

Back
Top Bottom