2.5 gal cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mPhish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to get a 2.5 gal with a betta and possibly an african dwarf frog if the tank stabilizes well. Can I put the betta in and cycle from there, or should I get neon tetras or something to cycle with? I'd prefer not to get fish I'm not gonna keep but if I have to.... I cycled with a few guppies in my 10 gal because I wanted guppies in the first place.
I'm not planning on getting it anytime soon, just planning ahead. :)
:thanks:

Do you have your 10g still. If so put a new filter In it for a month then use it to start off your new tank. Feed it with ammonia in the new tank until a strong cycle is established.
If you have to use fish, not my choice, I wouldn't use neons. They are not robust enough. Ask your LFS for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I do have my 10gal. That's a good idea, but what if it's the wrong size for the new fiter?

Personally I think if you can afford it you should put your betta in a 10g tank. I believe anything under 10g is to small for any fish. Yes people put fish in smaller Its just my opinion I share with some other people since they are living space is nice to have and makes them happy. If you do put him in the 2.5 that's perfectly fine and he will live and cycling with the betta will be ok. I have a 10g with a betta by himself and he cycled the tank great!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

andys_aquarium, thanks for your opinion! I get that a bigger tank would be better, but i'm going to stick to a 2.5 gal.
Thanks for the cycling tips!

If you go with a 2.5g def not enough room for a Frog.

You could try plants and a couple of Ghost Shrimp.

I use a tiny HOB filter with adjustable flow.

My younger brother put a Crowntail in a 2.5 gallon, and he is so cramped. Put your beta in the 10, easier for you and happier for the beta. Then do a couple ghost shrimp and a small fish. Not a beta, it will be cramped and depressed.

Nils

My younger brother put a Crowntail in a 2.5 gallon, and he is so cramped. Put your beta in the 10, easier for you and happier for the beta. Then do a couple ghost shrimp and a small fish. Not a beta, it will be cramped and depressed.

Nils

The only fish I'd do in a 2.5g is a Betta. Even tiny fish I do a 10g usually. It's more stable and easier to heat.

You could do RCS shrimp and plants instead of a Betta. Betta would eat them, so can't mix.

Here is a good article involving fishless cycling. It's really helpful and will walk you through the steps. It also has "what if" scenarios that tell you what to do if something goes wrong or doesn't look right. I strongly suggest fishless cycling because 1. you don't need to buy fish to cycle the tank, 2. less maintenance you have to do during the process, 3. It can be quicker as opposed to fish-in cycling.

Back
Top Bottom